Any Beatles Album you were disappointed in ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Mar 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teag

teag Forum Resident

Revolver. Such a letdown after Rubber Soul. Except for Tomorrow Never Knows.

Siegmund likes this.
  2. Jupiter

Jupiter Forum Resident

When I was in my early teens I had read so much about Sgt Peppers - greatest album, changed the nature of pop music, pop as art, etc etc. When I finally borrowed a cassette copy from my local library I was a little disappointed. The songs didn't seem to hang together particularly well. My opinion on this hasn't really changed. I loved A Day in the Life though. Even as a spotty 13 year old I could see it was pretty special.

3. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Never Once. Ever.

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

What's the running time ?

5. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Let It Be still does little for me. Its not bad, but I think The Beatles were capable of so much more.

Andrew likes this.
  6. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

This is a great album and definitely better than what The Beatles would have come up with by that time.

7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Naked ?
    Keep your clothes on. :)

8. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

Yes! I was gonna post this. What a rip off!

nikh33 likes this.
  9. eroz

eroz Forum Resident

TBH, I don't really care about the original intention. It's obvious that neither the original Let It Be, nor Naked is what the Beatles originally intended. By the time the material got to Spector, they'd given up on it.

I'm only talking about how I felt when I originally heard the album. I was a new Beatles fan and was binge listening their discography and I loved every album until I got to Let It Be, which was a letdown for me. Looking back I judged the album harshly. I think I had high expectations. I also got stuck on a couple of songs that I really disliked, mostly TLAWR, which I really, really hated.

Naked was a revelation, because I expected to dislike it and I didn't. Especially, TLAWR, which I absolutely loved. So, I went back and listened to the original LIB and realised, I liked most of it. I listen to both versions often, now.

Chev likes this.
  10. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Abbey Road - it felt sterile and overcooked to me - the band feeling was gone. I still think Abbey Road and Sgt Pepper are their worst albums because it doesn't sound like a bunch of guys in a room playing together.

veloso2 likes this.
  11. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Let It Be just sounds sad to me>

sean

zebop likes this.
  12. Benjamin Edge

Benjamin Edge Forum Resident

Sadder still was that 3/4 of the band had Phil Spector put the finishing touches on it, but according to Paul McCartney those finishing touches were like too much icing on the cake...

~Ben

13. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Thanks, I was afraid to post Revolver until I read this. Whatever its merits at the time, I don't play it much today.

Siegmund and Culpa like this.
  14. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

The thing is, when people heard it back in 1967 they were not expecting to hear the record that would come to top all those surveys of "best album of all times".

It is very difficult for any record to meet such expectations.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  15. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

In my case, hearing both the Hamburg live tapes and the Decca tapes were major disappointments at the time.

In the case of the Hamburg tapes, of course, there was the issue of the lousy sound quality -- I don't think I had ever given a thought to the issue before.

But, more importantly, all I heard in those tapes was an average band playing "oldies." I was possibly 15 or 16 and the Beatles had suddenly turned into human beings for the first time....

16. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

Very interesting point.

As times goes by, the cultural significance of "Sgt. Pepper's..." diminishes and the impact of the innovative arrangements and sounds washes down, we are left just with the songs. And there are many good songs in that record, but possibly not as many as in "Rubber Soul" or "Revolver"

17. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

I agree with you and also think that "Lucy..." and, especially, "A Day in the Life" are the high points in Pepper's. It has many other good songs, but those two are probably the undisputable classics.

However, the record has a "mood" of its own and that makes it different from other, possibly better records, if judged purpely on a song-by-song basis.

People who don't get in that "mood" will never find the record so appealing.

I think that "Pet Sounds" or "Dark Side of the Moon" are other examples of records which have a particular "mood" that defines them and goes beyond the individual merits of its songs.

Thom likes this.
  18. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Richie Cunningham Presents the beatles 8 days a week.
    I was hoping for something with the Quarrymen church fete tape, Paul's Cavern reel, Cavern SOG/KC acetate, Star Club in full from that great sounding auction tape from a year or so back, the 63 uk desk tape etc... or even excerpts from those.
    I can't weave a shark jump joke in I'm so disappointed. At least they put a photo from the Hollywood Bowl on the cover.
    Oh.
    Aspects of Anthology 1-3 are also deeply disappointing and short sighted.
    None of the original albums were disappointing for me apart from YS because it only had 4 new tracks.

19. slane

slane Forum Resident

Eight Happy Days A Week ;)

goodiesguy and ash1 like this.
  20. I never really warmed up to Rubber Soul, for some reason.

21. My feelings exactly. And just imagine if the UK Revolver had Paperback Writer and Rain instead of Dr. Robert and Yellow Submarine. That would be the greatest album ever by anyone. Of course it might be, anyway.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  22. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

The MFSL pressing of Magical Mystery Tour. Premium price for the same fake stereo as stock pressing combined with no booklet(!)

23. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

"Baby's in Black" is great and I also consider "Every Little Thing" as filler. But it's pretty decent filler. It would have been a single for a band like, say, Hollies or Herman's Hermits.

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  24. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

Pepper: so much overated it is ridiculous!

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

When I was first hearing the studio albums in 1994/1995/1996 I remember being really disappointed with Magical Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine compared with the rest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.