Gerry & the pacemakers

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, May 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Plus 1 on this! Great sound, just know the songs are remixed. But remixed really well!

2. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

I adore Gerry!
    I have the 4 CD "You'll never walk alone" set plus "The Best of the EMI Years" from 1992.

3. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:whistle: Immediately after the group broke up, Gerry attempted to get a solo career going with this Bee Gees tune in the spring of 1967. At this point, he was no longer being produced by George Martin, and essentially just used the Bee Gees' backing track, sticking his voice where Robin's had been previously. It was an earnest attempt at keeping up with the times, but for whatever reasons, it wasn't a hit on either side of the Atlantic:

goodiesguy, Suncola, Tord and 2 others like this.
  4. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

For their limited time in the spotlight, back in the early to mid sixties, they did well. Initially they were The Beatles' chief rival as they burst upon the scene, but that didn't prove to last long. However they did produce some finely crafted Merseybeat tunes, and really, no collection is complete without at least a few of their hits.

5. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I'm partial to their 1965 single Give All Your Love To Me. Dramatic and sort of bombastic - can't go wrong with that!

6. Bill

Bill Senior Member

He's also spot-on.:hide:

Marc Bessette likes this.
  7. MaggieMac

MaggieMac Forum Resident

There is a children's book that includes a CD, called Blue Moo: 17 Jukebox Hits From Way Back Never. The songs on the CD are mostly done by artists from the era of the early to mid 60's. Gerry and The Pacemakers do one of the tracks (Gerry Marsden and whoever was in the band in 2008), called Mersey Lullaby. It is a pretty ballad and very engaging song. All the songs were written by the book's author, Sandra Boynton, who is also a cartoonist/ illustrator. The songs vary from silly to sweet and although geared to children, they are not annoying and have a great sound. This is Gerry and The Pacemaker's song. I thought Gerry's fans here have likely not heard it, and I love it! It certainly has the same "sound". ..

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  8. they were smart to jump on it the first of three number ones in a row

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Yeah, yeah, yeah.
    Downhill after, pity.

sewerdog likes this.
  10. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I'm considering giving them another listen (also considering Searchers).
    I don't want to pick Gerry & The Pacemakers solo for the Beatles connection.

Darryl

melstapler likes this.
  11. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

Have his solo recordings been compiled on CD? Based on that track, I'd like to hear more and possibly add them to my collection.

12. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Not that I know of, but it would make a good collection. Perhaps Cherry Red Records or one of their associated labels could make that happen.

13. varispeed

varispeed what if?

I didn't have extreme love for "Sun", "Ferry", and "I Like It", but I was okay with hearing them on the radio every other hour and seeing Gerry pop up on all the tv shows during the moments of the era of those three records. At least they didn't irritate me.

I also remember that "Girl on A Swing", "Cherish", and "Good Vibrations" were... for a couple of weeks.... in heavy rotation with each other on the radio. Where I was anyway. I thought "Swing" was cool the first couple of times I heard it, but then I decided I didn't like it anywhere as much as the other two records.

14. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

JohnBR likes this.
  15. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Boot, arguably legal in Europe. The same label that released the DC5's entire catalog, as two-fers. They're pretty great. Lots of other marginal British Invasion titles, too.

16. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Just starting. Just disk 1 so far but I like the brash clear style. And the covers of old school rock like Maybelline and It'll Be Me. Early Lulu had the same approach (just heard some of that last year.)

Of course I love the big hits. There's a Mersey river (and Liverpool) in NS, but no ferry. :(

17. Outside-Looking In

Outside-Looking In Forum Resident

I would love to get into them more. What is the best way to get into their discography, like the best album to start with aside from typical compilations?

18. alexpop

Spotify: listen to songs, find out what songs the albums are on, usually comps. Vinyl ? Their debut album /uk.
    Cds ? Earlier EMI the better. Then comps.Again, listen to songs first. Soundtrack " Ferry Cross The Mersey" has a lot of period charm.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    Outside-Looking In likes this.
  19. alexpop

Gerry said Paul McCartney had tbe best vocal chops in Liverpool. Mr Marsden was no slouch either in the throat department.

goodiesguy likes this.
  20. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Leaning more towards Gerry & The Pacemakers Because I know more of their songs, where as I only know 2 Searchers songs. Sugar & Spice, Needles & Pins.
    Picking up the comp. I meantioned in post #38.

Darryl

21. MerseyBeatle

Well, this one is probably the best way to get everything they released in one package, but I see it's out of print now and a bit expensive.

You'll Never Walk Alone (The EMI Years 1963-1966)
    [​IMG]

This one is a collection of their US albums and still in print.
    [​IMG]

Some good comps are:

[​IMG]
    Mastered by our host.

[​IMG]
    Compiled and remixed by Ron Furmanek.

I like this one as well because I like the track selection and the studio chatter between some songs (same with the Furmanek disc above). But I believe the "At Abbey Road" series is looked down upon on this forum. .
    [​IMG]

Enjoy.
    :cheers:

22. MerseyBeatle

Cliff Bennett & The Rebel Rousers
    Into Our Lives: The EMI Years 1961-1969
    [​IMG]

I'd add these as well, although they're not 4 CD sets.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  23. MerseyBeatle

Darryl,

Glad you're getting into Gerry & The Pacemakers. You really should dig deeper into The Searchers as there's loads of good stuff there to enjoy as well.

:cheers:

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  24. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

Thanks for pointing this one out. Looking them up, these guys seemed to have the energy that many lesser-known 60's British R&B acts lacked.

Suncola and MerseyBeatle like this.
  25. alexpop

Is there a Merseybeat/Liverpool thread?

MerseyBeatle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.