Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Right but are the associated components from the GAE as well?

2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

My guess (considering Rega[s recent "cheapening" of it's arms with plastic parts) is that the new tweaked Technics arm is probably in about the same ballpark.

3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Read my previous posts - those are the boards and components for the switched mode power supply which Sound Hi-Fi remove and replace with an external toroidal model. There is no shielding and the ps is small. I guess much of it is components to minimise interference from the switch mode plus regulation. BTW there are better power supplies to the Sound Hi-Fi ones. Worth wait to see what other versions surface from after market suppliers.

4. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Old post, I know but this is why I have a pair of double arm plinthed SP-10 MK3's as the foundation of my audio system. As good as they were, replinthing in a constrained layered plinth with modern isolation feet and platforms makes this table really special. Almost nobody uses the original obsidian plinth anymore unless it's just out of nostalgia. I've been all over, heard a lot of modern "state of the art" turntables. Once I spent a little time with this one I was so impressed I bought two and would probably still be buying up any I find if I didn't have a wife and 4 kids to support. It's rare, it's maybe the best and most user friendly table ever designed, and will probably never happen again at any price.

OcdMan and 56GoldTop like this.
  5. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

On the tonearm-cartridge argument, emotion sometimes carries the day but it shouldn't. I must admit, I totally bought into the most expensive should be better argument until I started really messing around for myself. I can't really say for sure how many cartridges I have but they're not all mounted. I have probably 7 tonearm/cartridge combinations that are set up and ready to play. I routinely am currently using 6 which includes a dedicated mono.

The most important thing is the synergy between the tonearm and cartridge (assuming they're properly set up of course). Honestly, I have a $9,000+ cartridge on a $4,500 arm that I really don't enjoy much more than a vintage arm with a $300 vintage cartridge. One of my better combinations is the $4,000 or so Primary Control arm with a vintage Ortofon M20 fl Super I got on eBay for $120. A "good" cartridge doesn't need a "good" tonearm or vice versa as much as it needs one it "likes" and can "sing" with. Resonance frequencies and the like, yes. Mostly though try it out and go with what YOU like. IMO, that's what makes this so much fun.

6. Baby Driver

Baby Driver Forum Resident

yeah nah

7. brillwill

brillwill Well-Known Member

yeah... not sure how to interpret that, but if you think the GAE arm is comparable to an entry level Rega arm or whatever, you are mistaken...

The Rega arm feels like a plastic toy next to the GAE. In fact the entire Rega deck (I had an RP40, which is a modded out RP3) feels like a plastic toy compared to the 1200GAE. No offense to Rega owners out there! I enjoyed the RP40 until I realized it was stuck playing at 33.5....

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I came straight from a Rega P9 w/RB1000 (supposedly a $2K?) tone arm. There is no comparison.

9. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

If we are judging by appearance then the Rega arms are a very easy target, although I believe that this debate was started by the use of an SME IV as an upgrade, the SME IV makes the Technics arm look like a toy, none of which is relevant, Technics chose to upgrade the existing arm, for most people it will be all they need, but if one wants to upgrade and experiment there are many options and it's a free world, someone choosing a different arm isn't an attack on people choosing stock.

Personally I'd have a RB1000 over the Technics arm any day, it may not be over engineered, look expensive or be the prettiest arm out there, but coupled with an appropriate cartridge it's a superb performer.

Erocka2000 and Shiver like this.
  10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

brillwill, jriems and Ham Sandwich like this.
  11. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

A great afternoon. Just received a call from my dealer and my GAE has arrived. Now I'll get to see what the fuss is or is not about. Ships out tomorrow. Always regretted not getting a 1200, so after a lot (really a lot!) of thought I ordered one.

Fingers crossed.

12. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

Wise words!

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

"Both models will cost $4000, and will be sold only through brick-and-mortar audio salons."
    Read more at Gramophone Dreams #11 »

So much for the gramophone dreams of the common folk. F-woo, Technics. Stick it where the sundon't shine.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    PhilBiker likes this.
  14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You can buy the 1200GAE through dealers that will ship it to you. Not sure I understand the concern?

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Oh, I was one of the guys pushing the bring back the 1200 petition for Djs. They brought it back... for lawyers and doctors and trust fund babies.

Darksolstice and PhilBiker like this.
  16. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

No kidding. The 1%'ers Technics.

Darksolstice and PhilBiker like this.
  17. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

If Technics want to recoup the investment in new tooling then they will need to reduce the price for the standard deck and also offer a version without arm, I'd be really, really surprised if they stick to a small number of B & M dealers and that retail price point, I may be wrong, but I'd expect to see them under $2,000/£1,000 in 12-18 months, feel free to bring this post up then.:)

Panasonic are a mass market box shifter, not a boutique high end manufacturer.

Aftermath likes this.
  18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Ah yes, that reminds me I have a court hearing tomorrow where I'll self-defend the lawsuit from my plastic surgery practice mishap located in the shopping center that daddy owns.

I assume you've looked into the Pioneer PLX-1000?

Donniej and Guss2 like this.
  19. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

Many thanks for posting that. I've seldom read so much BS in a single review - "music played on the Technics was better organized, easier to comprehend" - but the charts are useful. The raw frequency looks very unimpressive but the regularity of the peaks suggests to me that his test record is off-centre and that the lowpass-filtered frequency is the one to look at, in which case it looks a lot better. Anyone else have a take on the numbers?

Thanks again for posting it, SamS.

Donniej, AArchie and Aftermath like this.
  20. There are many lawyers who make less money than DJs.

21. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

Cogging!? Anybody have this problem with their 1200? I've read this a couple times now and it sounds like Technic invented a "problem" to fix.

Flimsy tonearm!? Anybody? ...

22. brillwill

brillwill Well-Known Member

As a still owner (15+yrs) of a 1200M3D - I too had never heard the "cogging" or thought the arm was sub par. But regardless of whatever technobabble - the GAE is a major improvement in terms of sound quality and build. I paid $300 for the M3D and I still think that the current asking price for the GAE is reasonable for what you get. If you're looking for a spiritual successor to the 1200mk2, try the Pioneer PL1000.

23. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Michael Fremer mentioned it in a 2011 Stereophile review in which he disparaged SL-1200s for inadequately trying to compensate for it, creating jitter. Bottom of first page here:

Brinkmann Audio Bardo turntable »

Then someone did some tests and dismissed Fremer's conclusions:

Archimago's Musings: MEASUREMENTS: Technics SL-1200 M3D Wow & Flutter - PlatterSpeed + Dr. Feickert's Test LP... »

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Robert C, PhilBiker and rebellovw like this.
  24. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

No jitter and not hunting and pecking. He really gives audiophiles a bad rap.

Robert C and Aftermath like this.
  25. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

This is a Halo product. I expect a mass market turntable to follow, perhaps for next year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.