OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Thanks, just read about that here:
    BitPerfect: DSD - Is DST Compression Really Lossless? »

Very enlightening article.
    I had no idea that some of the SACDs may have gone through a low-pass filter to shrink the size of the files. I wonder if that's why some Hybrid SACDs seem to have more bass on the redbook layer?

PhantomStranger likes this.
  2. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Does OPPO play multi channel files from a hard drive through USB?

3. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Yes, whether it be and USB key or drive. I back-up my files on hard drives and when I want to listen to album or songs, I simply transfer them to USB keys. This puts less wear and tear on your hard drives.

JediJoker and formu_la like this.
  4. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

And are both methods gapless with .dsf files?

5. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I've found I need to enable gapless playback each time I want to use it. I don't yet know how to do that from the OPPO iOS app, or even if it's possible outside of the remote.

I do wish I could just leave gapless "on" all the time. Otherwise it seems I have to have my TV on even to see what I'm doing.

My Fiio does gapless all the time when that option is checked in the settings menu.

6. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I successfully created 10 raw sacd.iso last night. Works like a champ, and takes about 15 - 18 minutes per disc.

JediJoker and Simon A like this.
  7. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

A low pass filter doesn't filter any low frequencies, just the opposite. Low frequencies are passed and high frequencies (in this case higher than you ears can likely hear) are filtered. So, no it would have no effect on the bass.

JediJoker likes this.
  8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'd like to thank Simon for helping me this morning and his incredible patience and guidance for this computer noob. Simon guided me through the simple (not to me!) process of putting the auto script folder with the three files on a USB stick. That went fine but when I insert the stick in the Oppo and then turn it on the tray does not open. There is no disc in the tray and auto start and auto resume features are off. Any ideas as to why the tray is not opening on the 103? Once again a huge thank you to Simon for his time :)!

Bill

9. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Not sure what's up here. You might try turning the player on, and then inserting the stick. I believe this method works also.

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I've been playing DSD files via squeezebox for some time now. However a squeezebox has no internal DSD DAC to handle DSD natively, so all it can do is pass the DSD file (contained in an flac "wrapper; this is known as DoP) through to a DSD DAC.

I'm not at home and it's been awhile since I set it up, so I don't remember the steps. The two key things are that you need to save your DSD files in an flac "wrapper" (I use foobar to do this) and you'll need to install an applet on the squeezebox (I can't remember what it's called...maybe Enhanced Digital Output?) that allows up to 24/192kHz flac files to be handled by the squeezebox (the DSD files will be in a 176.4kHz wrapper).

This probably sounds really complicated, but trust me I am NOT a power user. I've ripped all of my SACDs - maybe 400 of them - and it works flawlessly if you're using a wired connection (you get a lot of buffering with a wireless connection). I was using the little Schitt DSD DAC, but now I'm using an Oppo 105D. You get all of the tags, album covers, etc on the squeezebox just like pcm flacs. No 5.1, but that's a squeezebox limitation in general. One cool thing (and to answer someone's question earlier about what is gained by ripping SACDs) is that you can make your own DSD compilations. For instance, I made my own version of the Stones Grrrr using tracks from the various ABKCO and SHM-SACDs.

I would google "squeezebox DSD flac" and you'll probably find what you need.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    jamesc and JediJoker like this.
  11. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

I had a couple of successes with ISO2DVD after an initial problem that I assume was WiFi-associated. Second WiFi attempt worked, then I reconfigured for wired Ethernet and got another success with a doubling of the speed. All rips saved to iso first, then I was successful in creating both a 2 channel and multi-ch DFF Edit Master file with Cue sheet from one of the iso files, and 2 channel only from another iso that only had 2ch. I'll try other options later.

To date in my main system, I've exclusively played my music via optical discs. With this Oppo solution, I will likely go down the path of minimally backing up all my SACD discs to iso files, and also backing up CDs+ per pre-existing methods. I don't know yet if I will (or when I will) go down the path of playing my music from files (through the Oppo). My listening habits with my main system are very album-centric, though I can see where file access can alter such behavior. I could also access the same files when working on my PC in my home office and thus put the files on my NAS. I'm also getting low on optical disc storage space in my media room, unless I get creative with my space if I stay with physical discs.

The Oppo interface is somewhat clunky for playing files and has some challenges using Cue sheets, from what I have seen via a short test period. I wasn't crazy about the Oppo media app via my Android phone either, and I think it's more buggy with the Cue sheets. I'm also averse to small interfaces and touch screens (for which I require my reading glasses) and would rather use the secondary TV I have in my room to which the Oppo is connected. I don't have a large collection, so the Oppo interface with a thought-out directory structure may be sufficient for my needs if I go down this path. It is hard to predict the difficulty in navigating a reasonably large number of files a priori, but I may be OK with per-album files vs per-track. I have a lot to learn with respect to ripping CDs to lossless as well.

Doug

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Thanks. I've done some research. I would definitely be more motivated to rip all my SACDs if I could experience the 5.1 via Squeezebox, as well.

stereoptic likes this.
  13. JackBnimble

JackBnimble Forum Resident

Get rid of the sacd extract file on the usb stick. You may have to download it again. If you do don't copy the sacd extract file to the drive.

Bill[/QUOTE]

JediJoker and Bill Mac like this.
  14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yeah, no 5.1 capability with squeezebox and from what little I've found on the topic, there doesn't seem to be much support for it. Most of what I saw were the usual (mostly uninformed) complaints about 5.1.

I just took my first foray into 5.1 streaming over this past weekend. I was able to successfully stream via ethernet the 24/96 5.1 of The Allman Brothers Fillmore blu-ray using Foobar2000 and the Oppo 105D. It seems to sound pretty much like a disc and it wasn't too hard to figure out, however I was unable to get gapless.

I've been trying to research whether gapless hi-rez 5.1 via my particular routing is a unicorn or not, but I've haven't been able to decipher a simple, straight answer anywhere yet.

15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Ace,

Thanks for that information! I'll give that a shot tomorrow. I need all the help I can get :help:!

Bill

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Thanks for "fighting the good fight"! I'm in the same boat. Until I can get my 5.1 SACD to stream over network (gapless) and integrate with my LMS (currently PCM-based) library, it just seems like a lot for not much improvement in functionality. I don't really like the idea of a HDD connected to the OPPO. Too noisy :)

17. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Yeah, I thought as much. But I was taking a guess. Read the article. DST is not a truly "bit perfect" compression.
    DST is more often used on the multi channel layer on Hybrid SACDs. Less often on the stereo layer, but sometimes.
    And almost never on the stereo only DSD single layer SACDs.

Now tell me there isn't something going on here, SOMETIMES.

18. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Think of it this way: a low-pass filter "passes" frequencies below a certain frequency threshold. A low-pass filter can also be called a high-cut filter because it "cuts" high frequencies above a threshold. A high-pass/low-cut filter does the opposite.
    An SSD in a well-ventilated fanless, properly heatsunk enclosure would be effectively silent.

19. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

True. Wake me up when a 2TB SSD is <$200 :)

Simon A likes this.
  20. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Yes, I would love to be able to use the iOS app for gapless or like you mentioned have it enabled permanently.

Gardo and JediJoker like this.
  21. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

The answer is Roon... Squeezboxes work as Roon clients, and Roon can be configured to either stream DSD natively (Squeezeboxes can't handle that obviously), or convert it on the fly to 24/88.2. As a long term Squeezbox guy (4 SB Classics, 3 Touches, 1 Radio) it's the answer to a dream. I did a one day trial and then bought a lifetime subscription the next day. You really should check out the trial... I deleted LMS from my server, it's dead to me now.

I guess the SB classics do down sample to 44.1, so that might be an issue.... Touch handles the 24/88.2 stream no problem. I would think Transporter would handle it too. I always kick myself for never picking up one of those things.

Jaap74 likes this.
  22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Terrific I will check out Roon right away.

23. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Bill the first time I tried this on my 105 the drawer did not open by itself. However, I could tell the USB was recognized by the "USB IN" message on the player display. I opened the drawer on the player, put in the SACD, closed the drawer using the close button (not the play button) waited for it to load and I was able to rip with no problem.

So I dunno you might want to try it...

Bill Mac and JediJoker like this.
  24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Charlie,

Thanks for the advice :)! I'll try that tomorrow.

Bill

25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The way I look at it is probably 3/4 or more of my SACDs don't have MCh, so the benefit of having easy fingertip access to any of those without having to move my sorry behind is still worth it. Plus I then have back-up copies of everything.

And even for 5.1, for the most part, gapless is not an issue for me (although when it is an issue, it's a big issue), so I'm going to plow ahead on that too.

Gardo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.