MP3s aren't as bad as what I remember...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by youraveragevinylcollector, May 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Out of curiosity, have you listened through IEM's or Headphones to see if you can tell the difference?

You have to have better component's to equal real world speaker sound than you do with IEM's or Headphones.

2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I don't know what IEMs are. I don't use headphones. I reckon my componentes are good enough to allow me to tell the difference, although I may be wrong, especially comparing them to a lot of components a lot of posters have:shrug:

3. FunkyNut

FunkyNut Forum Resident

Mp3's @ 320 or m4a's @ 256...that's all you need for the best combination of storage size, compatibility and audio fidelity. Although I'm sure I'll get attacked for this...

4. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _

Not by me. If it satisfies you, just go with mp3, it's not against the law!;) but I have a highly revealing headphone rig that demands redbook quality as the mp3 files sound inferior compared to 16/44.1!

Dennis0675 likes this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I was comparing hi-rez Doors tracks to 320 Mp3s the other day just out of boredom. You can hear the difference -- the hi-rez sounds fuller and more natural, --but the 320mp3s are pretty okay if you're not having a "splitting hairs" listening session, which I don't do much anymore now that my system is dialed in. After 40 years of swapping gear and worrying about codecs, I just want to enjoy some music.

6. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

It's my experience that when listening to really old recordings like Charley Patton and Blind Lemon Jefferson the Mp3's sound about as good as anything else you will find. A scratchy 78rpm needledrop sounds about as well in one format as it does the next.

Ghostworld likes this.
  7. SandAndGlass

IEM"s = In Ear Monitors, Better than the typical earbud. I have a couple of pairs of these. My original pair of Monster Turbines and a pair from Hi-FI Man RE600's, which I purchased when they reduced their price from $400 to $200.

[​IMG]

They also make a RE400 model that is only $79.00 Retail and is an excellent sounding IEM, hard to beat for the price.

[​IMG]

I don't listen with either the IEM or headphones any more, but they are nice to have around because they will enable you to really hear details that you may be missing while listening through your speakers. They can help you understand a different dimension with your music.

At the end of the day, I have worked to create a big full sound that is accurate without being harsh, like you could get with some of the better headphones, but with the music coming from outside your head, instead of inside. Once I got to that point, any headphone just doesn't do it for me.

I liked the comment another member made to you in a previous thread, to the effect of "we all know what type of music you listen to" (I thought that that comment was to funny for words). With that in mind, music that is best listened to through Klipsch speakers, won't really have any the "details" that require "audiophile grade" type gear to listen to. The more PA like, they sound, the better suited to your music.

In other words, don't sweat the details! Your on a roll, just keep doing what you are doing!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    PhilBiker likes this.
  8. SandAndGlass

ME TOO!

Keywords here are "years of swapping gear" and "now that my system is dialed in". Now, I am really happy with my system.

Will I continue to make changes? Yes, but much smaller changes, hear and there.

I enjoy sitting back with a cold one (or more), and just do nothing but listen and I am completely happy.

[​IMG]

That's me when I am in my happy place, listening to my tunes.

Ghostworld likes this.
  9. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

:tiphat:

10. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

11. SandAndGlass

PhilBiker likes this.
  12. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Almost impossible to hear the difference today. In the old days it always had that glare. Like the music was played underwater. Mostly 128bit and the encoders were not great then.

Lame-encoded 320 on my Ipod sounds fantastic. :D

ShallowMemory and nightstand68 like this.
  13. PhilBiker

LOL perhaps I should indeed! Those Westones are actually very well regarded for what they are. I use a $26 pair of Monoprice headphones when I am forced to use headphones. :tiphat:

Hmm... Sub-$30 cheapie Monoprice over-ear cans versus $150 professional in-ear monitors... Which would you use?:idea:

Honestly the Westones are not very comfy. If I'm playing with my wedding band it's worth the discomfort as we have to be very tight and my backing vox not my bass playing is the reason I have that gig so I damn well better have a good monitor mix. :sigh:

Ideally I'd like to get custom in-ears molded for my ears. It's not as expensive as you may think.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  14. SandAndGlass

Does Westone provide a custom mold as an optional upgrade for your monitors? I didn't realize that they would be uncomfortable to wear for extended periods of time.

I just recently suggested a good but inexpensive pair or IEM's for under $100.

[​IMG]

These are the Hifiman RE400's, they are available through Amazon for $74 (free shipping if you are a Amazon Prime member.

It might be the simplest and least expensive solution for casual listening. These are some good sounding IEM's for the price.

I have their HE600 (currently available from Amazon for $180).

Very small, lightweight and very comfortable, the 600's are better of course, but the 400's sound good and may be all you need. Maybe someday, I'll spring for custom molded IEM's, but for now, the 600's more than suit my needs.

15. PhilBiker

The Westones came with a dazzling array of tips so as to fit many different ears. I think it would take me days to get through them all; I found some that isolate well and fit my ears but there's nothing like a custom fit.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

Were the MP3 files from a different source or downsampled from the Hi-Rez? Could be different mastering.

When I compare hi-rez files and downsampled versions using Foobar's ABX app, I cannot reliably pick out the hi-rez. This is on several sets of studio monitors and headphones.

17. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

"MP3s aren't as bad as what I remember..."

Nor as good as I had hoped.

18. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I just use FLAC. I have the space for it on my Fiio X5. And I can always buy more storage space.

MP3 encoders have gotten better. But there is also AAC which is a better codec. It depends what you listen on too.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  19. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

MP3's are great for the car or for just strolling around. Believe me I've tried to tell the difference with the FLAC files and I really can't. But I do always try to have 256kb V0 files because anything lower and then you get that underwater effect. For critical listening? It's lossless all the way.

20. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

It's 2016...this isn't your dad's lossy anymore.

21. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

T.H.E. Show Aurum Cantus booth guy-GUILTY!! His entire hard drive was nothing but 1990s "audiophile" demo stuff. Which tells me nothing about how much the speaker will distort and inter modulate when complex music is played through it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.