POLL: Their Satanic Majesties Request--"The Stones In Another Land"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Jul 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

2. Outside-Looking In

Outside-Looking In Forum Resident

In Another Land
    She's A Rainbow
    2000 Light Years From Home

With an honourable mention to Citadel

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I have NEVER heard this album in Mono, I have a well loved, green unboxed UK Decca that comes in a Near Mint lenticular sleeve but plays with surface noise in certain bits. Amazingly I think it enhances the album's appeal. It all seems like this arcane and bizarre artefact from the psychedelic twilight zone. I don't think I w/could enjoy it that much from a new AAA pressing, no matter how well done. "Satanic" needs to be as vintage as possible, I don't mind hearing that "Plopp" caused at a party in 1968;)

I also like the inner artwork, the maze that can never be completed: "It's Here!";);)

4. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I agree with you but I would note that there was a movement both bands were part of that rather than be competitive seemed more to be working in tandem for the greater good.
    There are other Satanic Majesties threads where we've discussed it's subtle but intriguing thematic brilliance.

5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I always liked it that "Sgt Pepper's" had a Stones reference while "Satanic Majesties" contained a Beatles reference on the cover. Plus the Lennon/ McCartney vocals on "We Love You". The Stone will always be closer to my heart but both bands are terrific.

6. I think "We Love You" is one of the finest songs that either The Stones or The Beatles had something to do with. I think it might have been great if they had done more together. Is there anything else?

7. Psychedelic Good Trip

8. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Citadel
    She's A Rainbow
    2,000 Light Years From Home

9. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

My CD-R

1. We Love You (stereo w/ mono coda)
    2. Citadel
    3. 2000 Man
    4. She's a Rainbow
    5. The Lantern
    6. Gomper
    7. 2000 Light Years From Home
    8. Dandelion (stereo w/ mono coda)

10. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I had a tough time choosing between "2000 Man" and "Citadel"...ended up going with "Citadel," my other choices were the same as yours.

11. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Are you referring to the album that most of the rest of the world still considers a masterpiece, but which most on this forum (not me, though!) consider an overrated, aimless mess...? :shh::shh::shh:

12. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

I don't get all the comparisons with Sgt. Pepper, other than conveniently fitting into the Beatles v. Stones historical narrative.

The two albums sound nothing alike.

Aurora, zobalob, crozcat and 8 others like this.
  13. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

I think it's a good album, criminally underrated. I don't have problems with the Stones going psychedelic as I think they did it very well, in the end it shows they were great at whatever genre they attempted. Unfortunately TSMR has some filler though, and it's a pity they didn't include We Love You and Dandelion to raise the songwriting level. What's more On With The Show was not a good choice to close the album, 2000 Years would have worked better as a closer. Apart from the artwork, comparing the album to Sgt Pepper is nonsense to me as they are different animals. TSMR is a consistently psychedelic album, whilst pigeonholing Pepper as psychedelic is a mistake, as the only psychedelic tracks on Pepper are Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, Lovely Rita and A Day In The Life. Both albums aged worse than most of their catalogue (e.g. Revolver or Beggars Banquet), in my opinion.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  14. Even "... (See What Happens)" is redeemed by something in my book (I'm not the biggest fan of "audio freak-outs"): you can hear Keith blow loose a little bit on lead guitar. Perhaps not with the best tone in the world, but he's all right...

15. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Here's an interesting take on "Citadel" from post-punk outfit The Comsat Angels:

16. I think Satanic is a remarkably consistent album. Some tracks are much better than others but I think they all fit and contribute to the whole. I've never skipped a track.

Aurora, cmcintyre, zobalob and 7 others like this.
  17. Psychedelic Good Trip

18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Not a Rolling Stones fan, but I love this one. I chose "She's A Rainbow", "The Lantern" and "2,000 Light Years From Home", but I like every song in the album except for the extended "Sing This All Together", which I would have left out.

19. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

You are a mind-reader. Well done.

willy and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  20. owsley

owsley Senior Member

I love every track on this lp, even STA (See What Happens). I put it up there with the best UK psych lp's of all time (Piper, SF Sorrow, Reality - Second Hand). And I'll repeat as I've mentioned on other threads about this lp: it totally blows the overrated Sgt Pepper right out of the water

21. Andy Boyd

Andy Boyd Forum Resident

My long-time favorite Stones LP.

22. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

"Citadel" and both sides of the second single. That could easily have been a double A side. I used to think "2000 Man" was pretty good and I loved the intro riff until I heard it used to better effect on "Death Of A Clown". Not the best of the Rolled Stoners trilogy in my opinion... though I'm not overly fond of the whole 66-67 period to begin with (I need to listen to Buttons again though).

23. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

Citadel
    2,000 Man
    The Lantern

24. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

2000, Rainbow, and 2000

25. rallizes

rallizes Forum Resident

The Mastered for iTunes version of this album.

Worth picking up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.