Meshuggah-25 Years Of Musical Deviance (Vinyl Box Set)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tom polizzi, Jun 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tom polizzi

tom polizzi Well-Known Member Thread Starter

2. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Also preordered. Meshuggah is my favorite band! Even though I already have "obZen" onwards on vinyl, and this was a $250 purchase from completely out of nowhere, it was still a no-brainer. I hope the quality of the vinyl is good! I'm psyched for studio footage from the "I" EP. \../

tom polizzi likes this.
  3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I'm not a huge fan of this band but that box looks awesome - most are cut on 2 LP's - clear vinyl at 45 RPM, very tempting.

tom polizzi likes this.
  4. tom polizzi

I'm assuming the studio footage is them actually recording? Can't wait for July 29th

5. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

I have all albums on vinyl except I so no need for this box thankfully. Otherwise I would be scratching my head to find the budget for the purchase.

6. Jiri Smahel

Jiri Smahel Forum Resident

The I is still available from Nuclear Blast
    As a huge fan of Meshuggah, it is a must-have for me. Pre-ordered.

tom polizzi and Goldy like this.
  7. obi

obi Forum Resident

Just a heads-up to anyone looking to buy this. The music has NOT been re-mastered for vinyl, so this is the CD masters with all their limiting and compression intact pressed straight to vinyl.
    The guys at metal-fi.com were told by Nuclear Blast. So if you're looking for a nice looking souvenir then it might be worthwhile, but for those looking for a great vinyl listening experience, this is not it.

Deuce66 likes this.
  8. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Yeah, I just cannot get myself to purchase it. So many releases to choose from.

9. Jiri Smahel

I've read this around the internet but it was not officially confirmed. The metal-fi guy said he had secret sources everywhere (incl. NB) and this source from inside said it'll be a flat cd transfer.
    Meshuggah records never been audiophile stuff and actually are very bad and compressed but in their case, music matters. Second, it's impossible to get anything from them on vinyl for reasonable prize, so this one is a perfect way to get them.
    Even if this "an official rumour" was a true, I'm willing to buy it due to my love to their music and a collectable aspect.

tom polizzi likes this.
  10. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Too bad about the provenance of the music. If these were released individually I would be all over Destroy Erase Improve, Catch-33, and obZen, at the least.

11. obi

obi Forum Resident

It's not a secret source. Like any blog that reviews music they have contacts with the labels and their contact with NB was asked about this and he/she confirmed that the CD masters were used for the box.
    I've followed the Metal-Fi blog for years and I've never seen them make false claims about this kind of stuff. Often when they ask they don't get a reply from the labels and in those cases that is what they report, i.e. that they don't know if the material in question did receive a dedicated master.
    Like I said if you just want to own the music on vinyl then this looks to be a nice set and the price is very low, but I would've been happy to pay 100 Euro more if the audio was properly mastered for vinyl.

12. Jiri Smahel

Sure thing, I'm not saying he's lying (even I wish he would :) but he's the only guy (source) saying that. Also agree labels are not willing to share unpopular informations.
    And I absolutely agree with your last sentence.
    Maybe my post sounded too aggressive, it wasn't meant to be aggressive, just wanted to point out that not everything on the internet has to be truth. I don't know the source though (metal-fi guy).

obi likes this.
  13. obi

obi Forum Resident

No problem. You didn't sound aggressive :)
    I just wanted to point out that from my experience, the 2 guys running the Metal-Fi blog are very trustworthy.

Jiri Smahel likes this.
  14. Jiri Smahel

Ok, thanks for confirming a trustful source. I've preordered the boxset, looking forward to judge it personally.

15. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Not defending the use of CD masters for any/all of the LPs in the set, but p'haps said (digital) masters are 96kHz/24bit, and therefore those will be used to render the vinyl? Also, as has been said, Meshuggah is rarely a highly-dynamic band, so for everything to be LOUD ALL THE TIME is kind of par for the course, and - most of the time - probably what they intended sonic result. Also, I tend to find listening to either "obZen" or "Koloss" on vinyl tends to be at least a bit more relaxed-sounding, probably due to the fact that there is no way to brickwall to the same extent you can w/a CD, i.e. if you render the vinyl as 1s and 0s, you will see an actual waveform (albeit not one that really ebbs and flows), as opposed to a brick.

I remain excited about this set, though I've no delusions of grandeur that it's going to sound a lot more dynamic than the applicable CD releases.

16. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Not defending the use of CD masters for any/all of the LPs in the set, but p'haps said (digital) masters are 96kHz/24bit, and therefore those will be used to render the vinyl? Also, as has been said, Meshuggah is rarely a highly-dynamic band, so for everything to be LOUD ALL THE TIME is kind of par for the course, and - most of the time - probably what the intentional sonic result. Also, I tend to find listening to either "obZen" or "Koloss" on vinyl tends to be at least a bit more relaxed-sounding, probably due to the fact that there is no way to brickwall to the same extent you can w/a CD, i.e. if you render the vinyl as 1s and 0s, you will see an actual waveform (albeit not one that really ebbs and flows), as opposed to a brick. I think it's a limitation of vinyl mastering, lest the styli wouldn't be able to stay in the groove?

I remain excited about this set, though I've no delusions of grandeur that it's going to sound a lot more dynamic than the corresponding CD releases.

tom polizzi and Jiri Smahel like this.
  17. tom polizzi

Looks like this set has sold out. Really looking forward to this and the new album. Hopefully we get a single soon

18. Jiri Smahel

I've just seen an offer on Nuclear Blast e-shop The ophidian trek 2LP BLACK/GOLD VINYL with a release date 2016-07-29 (the same as the box set). It's a 333pcs limited edition from Night Of The Vinyl Dead. I can't resist .. pre-ordered.

19. tom polizzi

Could you post a link? Sounds awesome.

20. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

21. tom polizzi

Thanks a lot.

22. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Seems it's gonna be the first NOTVD Meshuggah release on which I'll pass. Unless it's still will be available discounted a year later like it was with Singles Collection which was limited to 450.

23. Jiri Smahel

I think there will be no chance for a discount prize later. After couple of days it's almost gone and I still can't find any info about this release. But looks like my copy is on the way.

24. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

I still see it readily available. But anyway, at 30 Euro it's a no go for me.

25. Jiri Smahel

Sure thing, no problem at all, I wrote almost. But I'm a bit obsessed with them :) It's my top3 band.

tom polizzi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.