Just picked up some Magnepan 1.7i speakers to play with.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by FLEMKE, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member Thread Starter

My friend going sell or loan me these because his buying Quads. So far they are a love/hate thing. I could spend a month straight moving them around. I do get occasional realism that makes my ears perk up! Definitely not anywhere near the dynamics I have grown accustomed to.

More later,

Tim

2. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

Tim

All speakers are tradeoffs ( as your friend will find with Quads). You don't mention your amp but the 1.7's can take all the power you can give them. Think big Rotel, McIntosh, Plinius, Accuphase, Pass Labs etc. Properly driven they are a superb speaker and an incredible bargain.

chili555 and brew ziggins like this.
  3. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Yes. Maggies like lots of juice.

4. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member Thread Starter

I have a BAT VK-75. They can push a lot of current. I have been looking for a second VK-75 for years and never seem to have any luck. I am sure mono blocks would really drive them.

Tim

5. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

You should change the photo in your avatar from a squirrel to a rabbit cause that's hole you're going to be going down. :winkgrin:

Manimal likes this.
  6. SMc

SMc Forum Resident

I auditioned those when my Quads died! I found the 1.7s to be over-generous in the presence region, although they have the good Magneplanar qualities as well. The deal breaker for me was the effect on operatic soprano recordings. If the ESL 63s are gallery light, the 1.7s are spotlights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.