Used Creek OBH-8se or New Schiit Mani?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MegaGroove, Jul 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MegaGroove

MegaGroove Member Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

I found a good price on a used Creek OBH-8SE phono stage (with OBH-2 power supply) and I'm wondering if I should get it as an alternative to my Schiit Mani (recently purchase new). I'd be using it to listen to vinyl exclusive through headphones. Here's my current setup, with the option of switching between two headphone amps:

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable
    Schiit Mani phono stage
    Micromega MyZic headphone amp (or I can swap this for a Schiit Magni 2 Uber)
    Sennheiser HD 598 headphones

I just recently purchased the Micromega MyZic and it greatly improved the sound of my system compared to the Schiit Magni 2 Uber, so now I'm curious if a phono stage switch will produce better results as well. I'm a little hesitant about the Creek OBH-8SE because I think it must be from the 1990s or early 2000s, and I'm wondering if it would even work well or properly with my newer components. I'm a novice with audio equipment so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Cannot say from experience.
    Creek products highly regarded and the review was very positive in its favour.
    I can say that as it stands your system is well balanced.
    There would be a slight increase in quality, but personally I would stay with your. Current set up.
    When you have more listening experience under your belt , you may wish to upgrade your system completley.
    This would be a more balanced upgrade! The benefits of a better turntable would be felt by a better phono stage.

3. MegaGroove

MegaGroove Member Thread Starter

Yes, I was thinking the benefit might be minimal. The price is right on that Creek though. :)

I really like the sound now, so maybe I've done the best I can with my system, unless I upgrade the headphones, which I don't want to do.

4. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

I am pleased with my system , you are pleased with yours. That'sThat's how it should be,enjoy!

MegaGroove likes this.
  5. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I ran the Creek for well over a decade with very good results. It sat between an MMF5 and a Music Hall 25.2 Integrated Amp.
    Never had any issues and was more than happy with the sound.
    Also, selling it on the used market took about 30 seconds. Something to consider if you want to experiment.

MegaGroove likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.