Who do you think it's having more fans: V.H.S. or D.V.D.?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by nokia2010, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nokia2010

nokia2010 New Member Thread Starter

Who do you think it's having more fans: V.H.S. or D.V.D.? Well, D.V.D. is almost a dead format (since is P.P.V. tv or people are using laptops or memory sticks to store the movies), but it's offering a better image then V.H.S. On the other hand, V.H.S. had about 16 years of glory (but it was borned before the glory) so people lived more with it and have more memories with V.H.S.

2. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Most people 20 or under would have no idea what a VHS is unless they're into that kind of thing. DVD is the standard and has been for quite a bit here in the U.S.

3. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I would say 15 and under. VHS was still fairly common into the 00s. And I'm not even considering the fact that my schools used VHS until about 2008, so you could even say under 13, or so.

drasil likes this.
  4. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Okay. I can go with that. I was well into adulthood in the 00s, so I most everyone I knew was DVD-centric.

5. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

My college radio station was still using reel to reel in 1997 so I don't think what your school used in 2008 is an accurate societal statement.

6. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I voted VHS because it was so much easier to record channel to channel and I think many people still have old tapes they may want to look at. OTOH, many went from DVD to Blu-Ray and just ditched and upgraded to the new format.

7. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

DVD is still the mainstream physical media for movies & TV. VHS is the equivalent of the compact cassette.

8. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

DVD is nowhere near a dead format, still no. 1 in retail for movies, TV etc

eric777 likes this.
  9. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I'm saying that schools, in general, were still using VHS, so kids had experience with them, if only at school. I'm not saying houses still had them.

10. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

VHS was awesome before DVD came out simply because that was all we had. Once DVD came out, I never looked back. I see no real advantages to VHS anymore. I always hated having to rewind them because someone else in the house didn't as well as having to fix them because they got eaten in the VCR.

My very first job when I was 16 was working in a video store owned by a Korean family. My job was to repair VCRs and VHS tapes that were broken which the family taught me how to do. Fixing the VHS tapes was aggravating sometimes because if we were going to keeping renting them out, the repair needed to be unnoticed by the customer. I got so sick of them that when DVD came out it was like a breath of fresh air.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.