Recommended CD editions of SEAL's albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ibis, Jul 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibis

ibis Happy as fish and gorgeous as geese Thread Starter

Hi, searching for Seal here is a nightmare; all those sealed cd's for sale!

Does anyone have information on the forum favourite masterings of Seal's work?

Thanks!

2. George P

George P Notable Member

Was any of his stuff remastered? I am content with the plain vanilla mastering of his first two albums.

3. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Seal-1 has two variations of mixes that were released, a search will probably yield the differences, not sure if the masterings are different or not
    Seal-2 got a hi-rez release in 2005 on DVD and possibly SACD? not sure if it was remastered or not
    I don't own these titles, but remember them being discussed here

4. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Seal IV and Best Of were on DVD-A.

5. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

IMHO the original first mix version of Seal 1 is the one I prefer but that is due to the fact that it is the first one I knew. Post initial release Horn kept tinkering with the mixes and after the first run was gone they replaced it with the updated version.

All info on how to identify the early version can be found here: https://www.discogs.com/Seal-Seal/release/20806

c-eling and George P like this.
  6. GabeL

GabeL Forum Resident

Definitely would recommend getting the CD+DVD-A versions of his albums; great mixes with quite a bit of bonus content.

7. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

So what is an original sealed Seal going for these days?... ;)

8. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

So were Seal I and Seal II and the 5.1 mixes are nice if you like that sort of thing.

9. vonseux

vonseux Re-channeled Stereo

I don't know much about Seal.

I only have Seal II (1994), it was a gift, original american pressing, it sounds absolutely fantastic. One of the best sound album I got, and it's loud and modern, even tough it sounds so right.

10. ibis

ibis Happy as fish and gorgeous as geese Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Appreciated.

11. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks for the info. The later (longer) one is the first tone that I knew, so I prefer that one.

12. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

They are. The premix has different, shorter versions of 3 tracks (see a previous post) and a more dynamic mix. Album DR14 vs DR12 for the more common version. I own the premix version and like it very much.

Although Seal 2 and Human Being are nice too, I personally think it’s a pity that the CDs are much more digitally compressed than Seal 1.

George P and c-eling like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.