Speakers for Decware SE84 and MC30

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by cesare, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cesare

cesare Member Thread Starter

Hi,
    I'd appreciate if you could recommend speakers for a 2wpc SET (Decware SE84) and a pair of McIntosh MC30s.
    I have a pair of Altec 19s and Rogers ls3/5a.
    One doubt: why are horns so closely related to SETs? Is it because horns were (are?) more efficient, so it's really a matter of efficiency and not so much the horns? Or do horns have some peculiarity that responds well to SETs?
    3 caveats:

1) I'm a low volume listener.
    2) I live in Brazil, so I tend to focus on vintage gear (import duties double the prices).
    3) DON'T worry about the polite "speakers are a matter of personal preference..." For me, this forum is like talking to a sommelier: my personal taste can always learn something. Or, to put it differently, if I've been drinking vinegar, I might as well be told!
    Thanks!

2. russk

russk Forum Resident

Altec 19s are amazing, especially for your amps. I wouldn't really look any further. Maybe one of the modern crossover designs if you want to try and upgrade their sound.

Efficiency, at least for me is a big reason I love horns with tube gear. Some say the coloration imparted by the horns make for a more live sound as well.

3. Destroysall

Destroysall Forum Resident

If you like horn speakers, definitely look out for some old Klipsch speakers, specifically their Heritage line. The Heresy speaker (particularly Heresy III) is a fantastic speaker and one I can recommend personally. They should work brilliantly with the Decware specifically. If you can find a pair, use stands as they do sound fantastic when elevated, but they are good when on the floor as well. Another great speaker line is the Tannoy Prestige line. You can sometimes find these large speakers around but they usually sell for a hefty price. Other than that, most vintage speakers (like Pioneer and Kenwood) had a tendency to favor high-powered amps, so just do some research on a speaker before you jump on them.

4. Ozoid

Ozoid Member

My Decware SE84UFO drives a pair of Omega Alnico single driver monitors. Something magical about the alnico magnets. These rarely come up for sale, but if you go to the Omega forum on audiocircle.com, you might someone who's thinking of moving to something else.

beowulf likes this.
  5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

You may be a member of this forum, but if not it's a wealth of resources along the lines of speaker choices etc.:

Forums - Index ยป

I ran my SE84 years ago successfully with Bose 10.2 speakers, a pair of Marantz speakers and a pair of Knight Audio speakers, all in a small room. I also ran the amp with the precursor to the ERRx speakers Decware sells, the RL-1 and RL-2, and then the ERR and the HR-1. I eventually moved from a small room to a larger room (YAY!) and went with bigger amps, settling on the Decware Torii Mk III. With the SE84 amp (I gave away my original Zen amp #27 and now have besides two Torii Mk IIIs a SE84B modified by builder Eddie Vaughn to be just a power amp, volume control bypassed, and a few other changes) the ERR and HR-1s are fine in a small room but do not have enough efficiency to fill a large room for some material.

Roger C likes this.
  6. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

If you're a low level listener, than you should really consider pairing Omega Loudspeakers with Decware. There are numerous references to the synergy of this combo on both Decware's and Omega's forums and there are even some threads on this forum as well. If the AlNiCo's are in your budget I would say start there. If not, the Super 7 and Super 3i are excellent as well. Decware designs their own speakers (made by Turning Point Audio) and several they offer can be ran with 2 watt amps.

2 watts (as awesome watts as they are) is not a lot to work with - IME if you're not using a very efficient horn loaded speaker, efficient crossoverless speakers (single drivers) can be driven more easily than a speaker that has one (even if they are rated at the same specs).

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  7. cesare

cesare Member Thread Starter

Thank you, guys!

Lonson, from what I've seen you're almost an ambassador for Decware.

2 votes for the Omega (Alnico). I'll try to find something here.

I've been looking for a pair of Tannoys and Kiplisch's. Hard to find around here.

Anyone has had any experience with Zu speakers? Do they lean towards refinement or power?

PS. Something blew in one of the MC30s. A capacitor, I think. Vintage gear... It gets you thinking...

PS2. russk, you may be right and I should just stay put...

Thanks again!

Lonson likes this.
  8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'd attempt to deny that if there was any chance that I could! Decware and PS Audio are two brands that are central to my system and that have transformed my listening world. Very happy with the sound of my system!

There are more and more options available for speakers for the little Zen. Try to audition whatever you can before any purchase. Best of luck!

Roger C likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.