Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. WyldRage

WyldRage Forum Resident

Really interested in Dio, but I'm apprehensive, considering Holy Diver was compressed pretty heavily. Is anyone brave enough to take a plunge and report back?

2. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

Without knowing the specific contractual language anything said here regarding the future of Pono is pure conjecture and speculation. Fun but pointless.

3. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

How different could the hi-res Allman stuff be from the releases that were just put out a year ago? I mean, look, I know the big thing in the industry has always been to sell the obsessives the same legacy act re-issues ad-naseum, but, we're re-releasing on an annual basis now? This will be the third hi-res Eat a Peach offered in the past 3-4 years!

4. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

PT Barnum was right (although his most famous quote probably wasn't really his).

5. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

PT was right but I'd like to see the info on the new Allman HR's. BTW where are they? I can't find anything but Ludlow

6. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Have they ever given out mastering information/source provenance for Allman Brothers hi-res downloads? The ones I have seen it for are for albums that also had a physical disc release.

jmrife likes this.
  7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, Holy Diver was bad. Did you get HD? I won't take the chance after HD. I hope someone else can chime in.

8. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

The Jacksons Victory is on HD Tracks. Anyone have this? Come on, don't be shy!

9. WyldRage

WyldRage Forum Resident

No, I didn't buy Holy Diver and, based on the samples I heard from the other albums, I will not buy those either.

10. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

BGLeduc likes this.
  11. Well I'll be......I can't say I by a lot from HDT but I sure missed that.

12. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

Thank you. I got a mail answer from the US (even if I used the mail adress at HDtracks UK), telling me NOT to use the US store, since I am european (and seen from the US - that's suspicious) :D, so yesterday I came to my senses anyway and found the links you mention. So now I can have another beer, because obviously I don't fuction as originally programmed if sober :whistle:

integriscdp likes this.
  13. Mickactual

Mickactual Humble indie rock musician

The hi-res Holy Diver is DR7. I've neither heard it, nor do I know what previous CD version DR's are, so can't comment.

14. 16/44.1

16/44.1 Forum Resident

Queen II 24/96 for me.
    More detail than the japanese SACD.
    Very little hardlimiting.
    And with a -5dB parametric eq cut around 2.5kHz during playback, there's nothing better than the 24/96 versions.
    -3dB might also do the trick.
    The midrange is more to the background then.
    With that it removes the hardlimiting also.
    Much better than any vinyl version.
    Money well spent.

joelee likes this.
  15. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

I've been sampling a lot of Iron Maiden's 24 bit (44.1) releases from onkyomusic.com, and they actually sound really good. I compared two albums (Somewhere in Time, and Fear of the Dark, both in CD quality with DR numbers >=11), and the 24 bit albums, even though the DR numbers are lower, sound outstanding. Very full and wide open and just heads and shoulders above those CDs. I highly recommend these releases from onkyomusic.

16. integriscdp

integriscdp Active Member

For the most part, I feel the Iron Maiden remasters are a missed opportunity. While the EQ is generally good, most all the remasters are extremely compressed. I recently compared the 24/44.1 Fear of the Dark (DR6) to my 1992 EMI Holland CD (DR15), and IMHO the CD is light years ahead of the download. The download is downright fatiguing, at least to my ears. So I guess opinions will vary. :)

17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Isn't this just the 2011 remaster with exact same compression, limiting, EQ, etc. as used for the 2011 CD, the SHM-SACD and the vinyl reissues? If so, I find it hard to believe the differences aren't negligible and aren't almost entirely hardware related (or placebo effect).

18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The Queen remasters are the same across the board. The SACDs, CDs and vinyl were made from the same 96/24 2011 Bob Ludwig mastering.

Dino likes this.
  19. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

That being said I noticed SACD playback can noticeably vary from system to system.
    Probably because of DSD to PCM conversion or not, different filtering settings for ultrasonic noise...

Dino and marcb like this.
  20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Which is why I said I find it hard to believe any differences aren't almost entirely hardware related.

Plan9 likes this.
  21. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

22. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

THIS WEEK on HDTracks...

Steve Aoki - 4OKI
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Pictures At An Exhibition (Live)
    Frank Sinatra- Strangers In The Night
    R.E.M.- Lifes Rich Pageant ...
    Allman Brothers Band - Enlightened Rogues

and many many more...

23. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

Don't purchase anything R.E.M. It'll kill your ears on a decent hifi. I tried, and I lost. Using my CD's, except from DVD's and Mobile Fidelity. The "hirez" is compressed crap, but LRP may be good for some.

24. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Interesting that they have not released the latest Allman Brothers s/t yet.