Oppo's Facebook page announces UHD 4K player: UDP-203*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by IAMBLEST, Jun 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I just wondered if the new format was going to be an engineering challenge. Maybe not....

2. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Tell me of a device that can do all an Oppo can do then I'll buy it, otherwise I'll use it for my digital head end and occasional bluray player.

3. IAMBLEST

IAMBLEST Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm also wondering if the dac in the new player will support MQA?

Or if they will update the 105s to be able to support this format?

4. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

Something to think with the HDMI comments. What DAC device do you want doing the conversion? If you use analog outs it's pretty much your oppo making analog either going "pass through" with a preamp or straight into an amp. If you go HDMI out for audio guess what's doing the conversion... Probably the pre or receiver. That's exactly why I like analog out. I'll likely replace my blue ray player before my preamp due to price and keeping up with tech. That way I. Always getting the latest and greatest with just replacing one item.

scobb likes this.
  5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Your earlier post indicated that you had less than a 1% need for disc playback. So that's why I asked that question. As I posted earlier I know nothing about media players. So I can't "tell" you of a device that does all that an Oppo can do. Maybe you should ask that question in a "Media Player" thread here or check out AVS.

One of the biggest strengths of Oppo players is the capability to play just about every disc format. If you have less than a 1% need for disc playback I can't see why you'd buy an Oppo player.

Bill

scobb likes this.
  6. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Because it is a great media player too, I bought it back in the day when I actually played media :)

Robert van Diggele and Bill Mac like this.
  7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Cool :)! I'm mostly all disc playback but do play files from two 2tb WD Passport HDs on occasion.

Bill

8. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Is there any estimated release date on this yet?

9. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

you're in for a long wait

10. Funky54

I might give on the OLED bit. They don't look that great now and I'm not sure that's the future.

11. saturdayboy

actually, my brother just bought the top of the line sony 75 inch 4k model. lg (the only oled manufacturer) models look great when they are being fed a pristine 4k, but not so much on upscaled stuff. sony also has better luminance which helps with HDR content. they all look great though.

12. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Since I am a retired old geezer with nothing truly important to do, last month I decided to go down to NYC and watch the annual TV shootout (HDD Attends Value Electronics 2016 Ultra HD TV Shootout at CE Week | High-Def Digest ») hosted by Robert Zohn (head of Value Electronics in Scarsdale, NY. (I bought my current TV's there.) First, My previous post (#11) turns out to be correct. You can see the 4k resolution unless you get really close to the screen (as I said before you have to be about four feet or less to see the higher resolution. HOWEVER, there was one set at the shootout that if there was enough UHD content out there I would be tempted to replace my Pioneer 60" 9th generation Kuro plasma for it. That TV was the hands down winner of the shoot out, of course, I am talking about the LG SIGNATURE OLED 4K HDR Smart TV - 65" Class. Even if you are not sitting close enough to see the 4K resolution it produces a superior picture when it is fed UHD content. It pretty much mopped the floor with the competition because all of the competition were LCD's, which are back lit as opposed to being an emisive tech. (When looking at non-UHD content the Pioneer plasma the Robert brought as a reference point did as well as the OLED because it to is an emisive technology.)

Now the Signature LG is an $8K set (according to Robert you can get an 85" version for $25K). LG makes other 65" OLED models that sell for as little as $4.5K and I suspect they are pretty close to the Signature TV in PQ. So it may be that in a couple of years you can find a 65" OLED for less than $3K, but and $80" for that kind of money is probably not going to happen anytime soon.

BeatlesBop, Guss2 and SamS like this.
  13. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

I watched this online like the last few years, and I certainly believe OLED is the future. Even in it's infancy it is head and shoulders ahead of everything that's come before. Just think what the displays will look like a few years from now when prices come down and everyone is clamoring for them. The forthcoming Panasonic OLED looks to be the successor to the ZT60.
    Panasonic CZ950 OLED TV First Impressions Review »

14. Tony Plachy

I would love to see someone like Panasonic step up and give LG competition!

15. saturdayboy

Your wish is coming true!!! Panasonic has announced that it will be making OLED tv's

16. Tony Plachy

We should all be cautious about getting our hopes up. OLED TV faces two major "problems". Neither is a problem for videophiles, but both are a problem for the typical consumer. The first is cost, and the second is that most people want to watch their TV in partially to well lit room. This is where LCD's win every time. These are the same set of problems that drove Pioneer out of the TV business. The real problem is that unlike hi-end audio which can survive as a boutique business (think of VPI, conrad-johnson, Wilson Audio, Kimber Kable, etc.) the infrastructure needed to build TV's cost at least $100M's. Only major corporations can afford it and even if they can get the cost of OLED TV's down, if they do not sell because they are not bright enough for the average viewer, the videophile market is not large enough to support volumes that major corporations need to make OLED TV's profitable.

stereoptic likes this.
  17. Not that I have read.
    There are no standards for HDR right now, and because each manufacturer has been implementing HDR differently leading to massive compatibility problems, I would hold off on purchasing an HDR TV for a year or so.

Guss2 likes this.
  18. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

I actually contacted Oppo and they said their plan is to release the 103 replacement around Q4 of this year and the 105 replacement in Q1 of 2017.

BeatlesBop, dbsea, IronWaffle and 2 others like this.
  19. Tony Plachy

Eric, That is not the impression I got at the shootout. All TV's that want to claim they are HDR TV's must meet the HDR10 specifications (HDR10 is part of the 2020 standard set by the industry for were TV's should be in 2020 - Rec. 2020 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia »). So all the sets at the shootout were HDR10 compliant. The fly in the ointment is Dolby Vision (DV). HDR10 is an open format, all you have to do to claim your set is an HDR TV is meet the HDR10 specification. HDR10 is part of the UHD blu-ray specification. So the Oppo UHD play must meet the HDR10 specification and there are UHD blu-rays either in the pipeline or already available. OTOH, DV is a technology that you have to license from Dolby. The major difference between DV HDR10 is 12 bits versus 10 bits for color and in brightness specifications. The LG set in the shootout had DV and I am not sure if some of the other sets had it. Obviously DV raises the cost of the set and the question is will DV catch on in the video industry. DV is NOT part of the UHD blu-ray specification and at present there are no DV capable blu-ray players. It is not a huge loss if you buy a DV ready TV and DV does not catch on because if a TV is DV ready it is also HDR10 ready (but not the other way around).

Here is a link to a British article that explains it in more detail: Dolby Vision vs HDR 10 - what's the difference? ».

FWIW, Joel Silver from the ISF thinks that the movie industry will decide the fate of DV. If the movie industry adopts DV then it will also be adopted by the TV and the blu-ray industry.

SamS likes this.
  20. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

Before anyone (like me) gets too excited... Q4 of this year probably means December 31st. And Q1 of 2017 probably means March 31st. :)

SamS likes this.
  21. saturdayboy

good advice.

22. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

That might be a very, very long time.

23. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

75- to 80-inch televisions will likely remain a niche product for a very very long time. Unless someone comes up with a way of making roll-up UHD displays that can be transported like a rug... (and I don't mean front projectors...)

BeatlesBop likes this.
  24. Funky54

Truthfully, the OLED isn't that great right now either. My point is you either compromise with LG's blacks and lack of color, or you go Sony with tons of color And no blacks. I just don't see that big of a difference and I'll stick with my plasma for now. 4K is great and there seems to be more and more media all the time. And truthfully, I'm a fan of physical media anyway. But I can wait for that. It's all about diminishing returns. The little extra quality of today sets versus my older plasma just isn't worth all the thousands and thousands of dollars to get there. I'd be tempted to go up and size! For I am man. But then my quality would be diminished unless I buy a much more expensive set. So I'm happy to stay where I am for now.

BeatlesBop likes this.
  25. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Would be nice if Oppo offered a Universal player for those who'd use it for music, but also a dedicated UHD player for those who won't ever spin a single CD or SACD or DVD-A, etc.

As for flat panels, well, my view is that front projection is closing in on becoming attractive for a larger percent of consumers. Lamps will soon be replaced with laser tech suitable for the home. Smaller units. Quiet. Cool. Once more people see how 100"+ diagonal makes 70" look like a postage stamp, well, it's going to be hard to justify putting up OLED money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.