Poll: Best opening song on a Radiohead album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Groovy, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident Thread Starter

As I found it impossible to vote in the recent poll for which Radiohead album was best I thought choosing a favorite first track would be easier. How wrong I was.

Anyway, while I decide for myself, which is yours and why? You only get to pick one.

2. Of course the minute you write, "You only get to pick one," someone will come in - usually within the first five or so posts - after totally not reading that part (or totally not caring) and pick more than one, followed by why it's impossible to pick only one. :waiting:

"Everything in its Right Place." :D

3. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

Airbag ... but there are no wrong answers here. :)

DrBeatle, npc210 and JohnnyQuest like this.
  4. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

air
    bag
    airbag
    Airbag
    AIRBAG

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  5. Groovy

Agreed and I'm sure you'll be proved right :). But life is hard - which is why I wrote more than 140 characters and tested some peoples concentration to the limit.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  6. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

Planet Telix. Easy pick.

lightbulb likes this.
  7. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Kid A is one of my all time favorite albums but there's nothing more joyful than starting your morning with "Planet Telex". :love:

levi, lightbulb and Vinyl Addict like this.
  8. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Tough one, but I voted 'Everything in its Right Place', mostly because I just love it, but also because it's an incredible opener to the album.

Nick Dunning likes this.
  9. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

15 Steps for me, but they're all fantastic. I just love everything & everyone on that song. I never tire of it & I always get excited as soon as the bass comes in.

Piiijiii, Groovy and JohnnyQuest like this.
  10. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

'Airbag'-The day that I bought 'OK Computer' when it was released(it was July 1st or 2nd, 1997) at a Best Buy in Mission Viejo, and put it un my car CD Player driving back to San Clemente, when hearing 'Airbag' for the the first time, I thought that this song was delivered from Outer Space. It was a mind blowing experience without drugs. I played 'OK Computer' a few times per day for the next 5-6 months(only to swap in several plays by 'Urban Hymns'-The Verve, 'Evergreen'-Echo & the Bunnymen, 'Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space'-Spiritualized, 'Attack of the Grey Lantern'-Mansun, 'In It for the Money'-Supergrass, 'Drawn to the Deep End'-Gene, 'Young Team'-Mogwai and maybe a few other albums released in 1997 to give me a break-including that mess 'Be Here Now'-OASIS that I was so excited to buy when it was released in August, but only played the opening & closing tracks after giving up on the rest of that drug fueled album).

However I was overtaken by 'OK Computer' that with each listen that revealed new layers, and by the end of 1997, I realized it was the my favorite album of all time(it still ranks #1 to me, and 'Airbag' is as great an opening track, as 'Lucky' & 'The Tourist' are the greatest 1-2 Punch of Closing Tracks that sealed the greatness of 'OK Computer' When Radiohead shifted to Electronic Blips & Bleeps for several of their post 2000 songs, it just sounded cold, whereas 'OK Computer' lead by 'Airbag' was one of the most emotional albums I ever heard.

2nd Choice-'Planet Telex' also was an effective way to open 'The Bends' and precede all of the rest of the songs to follow on that tremendous album.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

"Airbag" and "Everything in its Right Place" are the iconic tracks, but I have to go with "Everything".

The descending five-note intro that fills the room on that low fifth note is tremendous.

levi and WorldB3 like this.
  12. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I think "Burn The Witch" is a stunning track but "Everything In Its Right Place" is equally arresting and also perfectly introduces you to the sound and feel of the album to follow.

13. Groovy

Yes, building on all the previous great moments in that song that is the moment isn't it? I went with 15 Step too.

Mr. Grieves likes this.
  14. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

Very few votes for "Planet Telex" so far, my first thought was "Airbag" though... But to be honest, everything except perhaps "Bloom" do it for me. I was walking around Fopp Glasgow today when they started playing "A Moon Shaped Pool" and quickly realised how much and how quickly I'd come to love "Burn The Witch", those jabbing, stabbing strings are just perfection.

levi likes this.
  15. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

Airbag, but every song listed is a gem.

bleachershane, levi and DrBeatle like this.
  16. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I went with "Everything In Its Right Place" simply because it was my gateway song on my gateway album to Radiohead... I heard it for the first time in headphones, and from the first notes of the intro through to the fadeout, I was mesmerized. The feeling of discovery lasted for the rest of the album.

Within a couple minutes of the album finishing, I played the first song again.

bleachershane likes this.
  17. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

18. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

This is a lot harder than I thought. As I clicked open the thread, I was certain that I was going to vote for "Everything". But I'm surprised now by how much my finger keeps twitching towards either "Planet Telex" or "Airbag". And, not that I'll vote for it, but "Burn the Witch" is a great opening track too.

Groovy and bleachershane like this.
  19. Bewaremylove

Bewaremylove Forum Resident

Planet Telex for me

20. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

That was my choice...and my follow-up thought as well. Every opening track is an absolute winner.

levi likes this.
  21. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident

If an album were to be made out of the first tracks of each album by a band...Radiohead's might be the best ever.

vinylphile likes this.
  22. chronic kebab

chronic kebab Forum Resident

Recently did a poll regarding the best ending which yielded some interesting results so I figured I might as well do this one too!

My choice goes to Planet Telex. The Bends is probably my 3rd or 4th least favourite album of theirs but I've really grown to love this song. Could easily have gone for Airbag or Everything in It's Right Place too. What do you think is their best?

23. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

"15 Step," no question.

George Co-Stanza and Mr. Grieves like this.
  24. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

Planet Telex.

25. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Everything in It's Right Place - Kid A (2000). I remember when I heard it and thought it was odd in a good way. From "The Bends" to this. "Kid A" is my favorite Radiohead album.

whisper3978 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.