Graham Parker career-spanning box from Universal, Sept. 2016 tentative

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alylemoss, Feb 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

2. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

6cd/1dvd

mrjinks likes this.
  3. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

From the Amazon listing: The box includes 3 anthology discs, a disc of BBC live performances and a 2-disc never before heard live concert from the last ever show with The Rumour in 2015 at London's Forum with a horn section. The DVD encompasses an unreleased live show at The Brook in Southampton with The Rumour, as well as some Top Of The Pops and Old Grey Whistle Test TV performances from the late 70s.

[​IMG]

Carserguev likes this.
  4. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

5. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Tracklisting :

CD 1 – 1976 – 1978
    • Graham Parker – I Got My Soul (Acoustic Demo)
    • Graham Parker – That’s When You Know (Acoustic Demo)
    • Graham Parker – Sunny Side Down (Acoustic Demo)
    • Graham Parker – The Raid (Acoustic Demo)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Between You And Me
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Don’t Ask Me Questions
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Howlin’ Wind
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Nothin’s Gonna Pull Us Apart
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Soul Shoes (Single Version)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Pourin’ It All Out
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Black Honey
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Turned Up Too Late
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Stick To Me
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Watch The Moon Come Down
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Thunder And Rain
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – The Heat In Harlem (Live)
    CD 2 – 1978 – 1991
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Lady Doctor (Live)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Gypsy Blood (Live)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Fool’s Gold (Live)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Nobody Hurts You
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – You Can’t Be Too Strong
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Passion Is No Ordinary Word
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Love Gets You Twisted
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Empty Lives
    • Graham Parker – You Hit The Spot
    • Graham Parker – You Can’t Take Love For Granted
    • Graham Parker And The Shot – Wake Up (Next To You)
    • Graham Parker – Back In Time
    • Graham Parker – Under The Mask (Of Happiness)
    • Graham Parker – Big Man On Paper
    • Graham Parker – The Kid With The Butterfly Net
    • Graham Parker – Weeping Statues
    CD 3 – 1992 – 2015
    • Graham Parker – Just Like Joe Meek’s Blues
    • Graham Parker – Disney’s America
    • Graham Parker – Honest Work
    • Graham Parker – Sharpening Axes
    • Graham Parker – Blue Horizon
    • Graham Parker – Cheap Chipped Black Nails
    • Graham Parker with Lucinda Williams – Cruel Lips
    • Graham Parker – Nation Of Shopkeepers
    • Graham Parker & The Figgs – Bad Chardonnay
    • Graham Parker – England’s Latest Clown
    • Graham Parker – 1st Responder
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Long Emotional Ride
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Live In Shadows
    • Graham Parker with Punch Brothers – What Do You Like?
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Flying Into London
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Going There
    CD 4 – The Live BBC Recordings
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Discovering Japan (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon 1979)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Local Girls (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon 1979)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Thunder And Rain (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon 1979)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Don’t Get Excited (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon 1979)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Back To Schooldays (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon 1979)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Passion Is No Ordinary Word (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon 1979)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Mercury Poisoning (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon 1979)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Heat Treatment (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon 1979)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Howlin’ Wind (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon 1979)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Stick To Me (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon 1979)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Love Gets You Twisted (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon 1979)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Crawling From The Wreckage (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon 1979)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Saturday Nite Is Dead (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon 1979)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Nobody Hurts You (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon 1979)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Protection (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon 1979)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – White Honey (Live from BBC Sight And Sound 1977)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Hotel Chambermaid (Live from BBC Sight And Sound 1977)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Pourin’ It All Out (Live from BBC Sight And Sound 1977)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Don’t Ask Me Questions (Live from BBC Sight And Sound 1977)
    CD 5 – Live At The Forum, London 2015 / Pt. 1
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Howlin’ Wind (Live At The Forum, London 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Stop Cryin’ About The Rain (Live At The Forum, London 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Thunder And Rain (Live At The Forum, London 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Long Emotional Ride (Live At The Forum, London 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Get Started. Start A Fire (Live At The Forum, London 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Pub Crawl (Live At The Forum, London 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Wall Of Grace (Live At The Forum, London 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Stick To Me (Live At The Forum, London 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Passion Is No Ordinary Word (Live At The Forum, London 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Watch The Moon Come Down (Live At The Forum, London 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Railroad Spikes (Live At The Forum, London 2015)
    CD 6 – Live At The Forum, London 2015 / Pt. 1
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Hotel Chambermaid (Live At The Forum, London 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Protection (Live At The Forum, London 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Pourin’ It All Out (Live At The Forum, London 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Back To Schooldays (Live At The Forum, London 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Local Girls (Live At The Forum, London 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – White Honey (Live At The Forum, London 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Fool’s Gold (Live At The Forum, London 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Heat Treatment (Live At The Forum, London 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – You Can’t Be Too Strong (Live At The Forum, London 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Don’t Ask Me Questions (Live At The Forum, London 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Hold Back The Night (Live At The Forum, London 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Soul Shoes (Live At The Forum, London 2015)
    DVD
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – White Honey (Live At The Brook, Southampton 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Stop Cryin’ About The Rain (Live At The Brook, Southampton 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Thunder And Rain (Live At The Brook, Southampton 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Howlin’ Wind (Live At The Brook, Southampton 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Long Emotional Ride (Live At The Brook, Southampton 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Get Started. Start A Fire (Live At The Brook, Southampton 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Pub Crawl (Live At The Brook, Southampton 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Wall Of Grace (Live At The Brook, Southampton 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Stick To Me (Live At The Brook, Southampton 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Passion Is No Ordinary Word (Live At The Brook, Southampton 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Watch The Moon Come Down (Live At The Brook, Southampton 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Railroad Spikes (Live At The Brook, Southampton 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Hotel Chambermaid (Live At The Brook, Southampton 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Protection (Live At The Brook, Southampton 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Pourin’ It All Out (Live At The Brook, Southampton 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Back To Schooldays (Live At The Brook, Southampton 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Local Girls (Live At The Brook, Southampton 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – You Can’t Be Too Strong (Live At The Brook, Southampton 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Don’t Ask Me Questions (Live At The Brook, Southampton 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Hold Back The Night (Live At The Brook, Southampton 2015)
    • Graham Parker & The Rumour – Soul Shoes (Live At The Brook, Southampton 2015)
    • Graham Parker – Hey Lord Don’t Ask Me Questions (Live On Top Of The Pops)
    • Graham Parker – New York Shuffle (Live On Top Of The Pops)
    • Graham Parker – Hold Back The Night (Live On Top Of The Pops)
    • Graham Parker – Stick To Me (Live On Old Grey Whistle Test 1978)
    • Graham Parker – Problem Child (Live On Old Grey Whistle Test 1978)
    • Graham Parker – Back Door Love (Live On Old Grey Whistle Test 1978)
    • Graham Parker – Thunder And Rain (Live On Old Grey Whistle Test 1978)
    • Graham Parker – Turned Up Too Late (Live On Old Grey Whistle Test 1978)
    • Graham Parker – Fool’s Gold (Live On Old Grey Whistle Test 1978)
    • Graham Parker – Saturday Nite Is Dead (Live On Old Grey Whistle Test 1978)
    • Graham Parker – I’m Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down (Live On Old Grey Whistle Test 1978)
    • Graham Parker – Don’t Ask Me Questions (Live On Old Grey Whistle Test 1978)
    • Graham Parker – Soul Shoes (Live On Old Grey Whistle Test 1978)
    Description :

Relive Graham Parker’s four decades in the music business with this career-spanning reissue from Universal Music that covers both his years with The Rumour and his solo output.

These Dreams Will Never Sleep: The Best Of Graham Parker 1976-2015 includes 90 tracks across six CDs, a compilation live DVD, a 36-page hardcover book featuring a new interview with Parker and an overview written by Holly A. Hughes, plus a poster and three postcards.
    Following their critically-acclaimed debut album Howlin’ Wind, Graham Parker & The Rumour enjoyed some chart success in the late Seventies and early Eighties, peaking with their last album before Parker branched out on his own – The Up Escalator (1980, which, tellingly, was credited only to Parker on the cover) reached number 11 in the UK and tip-toed into the Top 40 Stateside. The previous album, Squeezing Out Sparks (1970) charted on both sides of the pond), is often held up as Parker’s finest, gaining a slot at number 335 on Rolling Stone’s 500 Greatest Albums Of All Time list. While his albums since have not had such commercial clout, Parker has enjoyed a long and productive solo career, and he reunited with The Rumour to make Three Chords Good, the first of two new albums together, in 2012.
    The first three CDs in this set are anthology discs consisting mainly of studio recordings, plus four solo acoustic demos and four live performances with The Rumour. This is followed a disc of live BBC recordings – at Hammersmith Odeon, 1979, plus a handful of songs for the BBC Sight And Sound in Concert series in 1977 – and, for the first time, a recording Parker’s last-ever gig with The Rumour (and horn section) at London’s Forum which is spread across two CDs.

The 34-track DVD kicks off with a previously unreleased 21-song set, Live at The Brook, Southampton, in 2015 with The Rumour, and a selection of late-Seventies TV performances on Top Of The Pops and the Old Grey Whistle Test completes a substantive audio-visual offering for Parker fans.
    These Dreams Will Never Sleep: The Best Of Graham Parker 1976-2015 is released on 30 September 2016.

6. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

About $58 shipped from UK to USA (Amazon.uk).

Jerryb likes this.
  7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Probably worth it fir the live stuff.

I noticed a lot of his albums are getting a new release on CD and Vinyl too.

8. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

9. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

10. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    Mr. H and Malina like this.
  11. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

Malina likes this.
  12. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

13. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Cool. It looks like second best seller in Musik. They must be blowing them out.

Amazon.de Bestseller: Die beliebtesten Artikel in Musik »

The Killer likes this.
  14. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Grabbed the deal for myself although these pre-orders for September releases are racking up and one or two may have to give. But if this is indeed a £50 box set and getting it for £27 I shant be complaining.

15. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I thought he would've got more attention for his role in Judd Aptow's "This Is 40", wish they'd have let him sing a few songs or be more present on the soundtrack at least. Few can write as well as Graham about actually being an adult.

The Killer likes this.
  16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I would have preferred more space devoted toward covering his career and classic era live stuff, and not so much to a 2015 concert (sure, it was the last concert with The Rumour, but spread across 2 of the 6 CDs and more than half of the DVD it overwhelms the other stuff).

17. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

And with humor!

Carserguev and Jeremy Holiday like this.
  18. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

Amazon.de have cancelled my order, alleging thet they had been misinformed about the price... It's the first time Amazon does this to me, they usually take the responsiblity for their mistakes and swallow the cost...
    I'm very depressed, I wasn't expecting this, although it was too good to be true. I cannot afford it at the new price of 69.99€ plus shipping...

:cry:

lightbulb and Alan57 like this.
  19. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

I expect they'll be a lot of unhappy folk around right now (includingme!!).

B*st*rds!

Carserguev, lightbulb and Alan57 like this.
  20. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Yes. And yes to the Pink Parker suggested above.

21. Disappointed that Amazon.de cancelled order but also that I cancelled my original Amazon.uk order.Have to reorder it now at higher price than it was on Amazon.uk when first listed.

22. The only small satisfaction I got from this was simultaneously cancelling my other items included in the order that contained the Parker box.Now surprised they didn't do the same thing with the Totally Stripped box.

23. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I wonder if this was a big red flag for Amazon.de to investigate why this was selling like aluminum hot cakes.

24. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I agree. It does OK on the first two CDs of covering the early classic years with The Rumor, but sort of a lousy job covering the next 35 years (with the exception of the reunion with The Rumor)! I don't see how they can really call it a career-spanning box with a straight face.

Not that it isn't filled with great music, but come on!

L.

25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Not really. The Mercury/Polygram albums set the stage and he delivered with Squeezing Out Sparks, which made quite a splash when it came out--that was his breakthrough album. The next album should have been the one that put him over the top. Unfortunately, The Up Escalator just wasn't up to the task. The converted stayed with him, but it didn't sell through to the next level and the gold ring moved away. The pieces were all in place and his record label (Arista) was behind him. He just failed to deliver the right record at the moment is was required of him. He didn't get overlooked.

rikki nadir, Malina, davers and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.