Untalented actors/actresses you love anyway.....

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Pinhead, Jul 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I have to say I've seen Harrison Ford in some movies where I have actually almost laughed out loud at his overacting in some scenes, (or at least he LOOKS like he's overacting.Maybe that's the way he would react in real life :D ) but, he's...Harrison Ford, so like the already mentioned John Wayne, it just goes with the territory and I have to like them. Some people are bigger than acting, if that makes sense. :p

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    GodShifter likes this.
  2. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears Forum Resident

Gemma Arterton and Heather Graham are two hot actresses who I love but man are they bad at acting

SandAndGlass and Benno123 like this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Clint Eastwood

4. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

That funny one was when he was a Network Admin - what a crack up.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  5. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Disagree about limited range. He was typecast to a large degree, but compare his performance in Red River against The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, superficially similar characters but each played as complex and idiosyncratic. He was the charismatic, volcanic hero in Red River who gradually goes mad with power. In Liberty Valance Wayne plays it much calmer, with the subtlety his character demands.

My own choice is the singularly multi-talentless Tommy Wiseau. The Room is so bad on every level that it is genius. Wiseau should have his own star on the Walk of Fame.

[​IMG]

GodShifter and F_C_FRANKLIN like this.
  6. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Joe Dallesandro.

7. Kind of the definition of a leading man. They often don't do the heavy lifting as actors.

The Pinhead likes this.
  8. He was perfect as Frank N Furter and It.

9. I hear he also blows his lines regularly on set. I don't know if that's still the case but I would think that the least he could do is learn his lines and prepare...I like him in certain roles heck even as Klattu he brought a vibe of being out of synch with the other actors and even the movie which worked Ina weird sort of way.

10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

The only movie of Costner's in which I really like Costner is The Untouchables. His style translated well into the goody-goody character he was playing. I loved how he said, "I want to HURT Capone." You just wanna say, "That's cute." :laugh:

SomeCallMeTim and Scopitone like this.
  11. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Harrison Ford has a very pleasing way of acting pissed-off! Most pissed-off guys in real life just make you wanna squirm, Ford makes it look attractive. :laugh:

12. I've always thought that Costner projected a sincerity and directness like Gary Cooper. He's not a great actor but he can fill the role and the audience likes him.

13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Costner is good. "Open Range" gives him a lifetime pass. Look elsewhere.

Chris DeVoe and sixtiesstereo like this.
  14. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

[​IMG]

Couldn't act, couldn't sing...I didn't care. :love: The 80s would not have been the same without Phoebe Cates.

15. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

16. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Good analogy. I was watching THE FOUNTAINHEAD the other night. Cooper is so stiff. But it works there for the part of Howard Roark, just as it works in HIGH NOON.

And in BALL OF FIRE - but then again, who wouldn't be able to make it work, alongside Stanwyck in her prime and with Howard Hawks and that genius cast of character actors?

There's a sincerity to Costner's "style", just as there was with Cooper. But no one would accuse him of being a great actor. He's watchable for me always.

17. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Yeah, I guess your right. Jeffery was the same character as his World War Z character as was his Fight Club character as was his...

18. He's fine in action movies or comedies that don't require him to actually display any subtlety or realistic emotion. The only drama I thought he was convincing in is River's Edge.

GodShifter likes this.
  19. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Person A: Who are your top 3 favourite actors?
    Person B: Drew Barrymore, Glenn Close and Sean Young.
    Person A: Hmm, not familiar with their work...and who are your favourite actresses?

Scopitone, SomeCallMeTim and EVOLVIST like this.
  20. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

So defining gender is not politically correct in the modern age? So i presume we should also remove the prefix 'Mr' Mrs' 'Ms' from in front of names because they also define gender?

Texastoyz likes this.
  21. medium Rob

medium Rob Forum Resident

No, I'll try to make a better analogy. Is the sex of the director of any significance? Why can't the word 'actor', like the word 'director', apply to both male and female? It's only a suggestion, and yes, it's my opinion. I thought it was an appropriate thread to make the suggestion. There are people who have issues with defining gender (formally) in the modern age, but I feel that, in this case, the distinction doesn't necessarily need to be made. Again, I didn't mean to suggest any extreme measures.

22. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Costner was awesome in A Perfect World. Definitely look elsewhere

agentalbert and GodShifter like this.
  23. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I think there are many actors like Johnny Depp or Nicolas Cage who were and are genuinely good actors in a number of roles, but who definitely have a "style" that eventually becomes worn.

Cage was deservedly acknowledged for "Leaving Las Vegas", and his early films doing his "quirky" thing worked on some level. Then he kinda just went into autopilot and eventually indeed was kind of just "playing himself."

Depp is somewhat similar, though in later era films where he's also kind of just "playing himself" or playing his quirky version of himself, he at least seems like he's putting some effort and doesn't seem bored and going through the motions the way Cage does. Doesn't mean some of those Depp performances are necessarily any better. Plus, when Depp *doesn't* do a super quirky character, that can also be awful ("The Tourist" has to be one of the all-time misses).

But as someone else alluded to, most actors are kind of playing themselves, and/or playing an iteration of a famous role they did in the past.

I think the most versatile actors tend to be those who can do a unique, memorable role and can also fade into an "every man" role where you don't spent the whole movie thinking that this "average joe" is a famous actor. Kurt Russell is a good example of this.

24. SomeCallMeTim

SomeCallMeTim Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    The inimitable Mr. Courtney Gains. He gets regular work, though his "iconic" performances both happened in the 1980's - Malachi the cult muscle in "Children of the Corn" and the mute Hans Klopek in "The 'Burbs." He has dozens of other films to his credit, plus TV and voice work. He neither chews scenery nor grabs the spotlight...and he seems like a really nice guy in real life, which probably adds to his appeal.

25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

You're right, he's better than I gave him credit for. I did say he has some range (just not a lot). I like him as an actor very much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.