Pink Floyd The Early Years 1965-1972 -Anticip/ation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMike

JMike Forum Resident

Agreed. Going up to '72 (and still calling it "early years") makes sense to me. Most of the general public/casual fans' awareness of Pink Floyd basically starts at DSOTM and goes forward. So, basically as a document of the years prior to their massive mainstream success (regardless of what is actually included, which obviously remains to be seen), '72 does seem to me to be a fairly logical cutoff point. And, considering they were still going until 1994, I think you could easily make the argument that up to '72 was still "early".

I will buy anything they put out regardless, (or, I hope to. I guess I still have to wait and see how astronomically priced this will be...) and I love Syd, but I for one am more excited by the prospect of a box set of rarities that goes up to '72 than one that cut off at Saucerful or prior. Assuming it still includes everything that would have been included in JUST a Syd-era set, anyway.

Runicen and supernaut like this.
  2. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

3. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

LET'S KEEP A NONSTOP 24-HOUR THREAD UPDATE until it's out!
    We'll take turns monitoring the web for news and posting here!

Seriously though, this is a huge possibility for a substantial dose of Syd.
    I really hope this goes the Syd way...It would be so nice.

I'd even suffer through more early renditions of DSOTM to get this!

I also think a classy box of Syd's entire solo studio sessions would be a great idea.
    Every take, every second of tape. (Like the latest Dylan box set).

Mr. H likes this.
  4. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Legacy's behind this, eh? And they did the last Dylan box in 24/96. There's hope for this box set getting a hi res release too. Count me in for the digital marbles!

Six Bachelors likes this.
  5. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I'm not quite sure that an Amazon listing that doesn't say Pink Floyd, and is listed under "Legacy" has anything to do with the Pink Floyd box. Just wait it out, no need to grasp at straws.

6. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

It also occurred to me that all the box sets Floyd released and the Piper 3 disc set have the studio albums included.So if all the 7 studio albums take up 7 CDs plus DVDs for the hi rez versions I would hope that more than 1 or 2 discs are unreleased stuff.

supernaut likes this.
  7. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I hope that after Oh By The Way, Discovery and the individual remasters they won't force us to buy all those albums yet again just to get a few rarities!

Tristero and supernaut like this.
  8. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

I saw standing by the Nile
    When I saw the lady smile

9. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

10. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

It's one of the Massed Gadgets of Auximenes....

11. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Mine's shipped!

12. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Color?

There is no such word in the UK and Pink Floyd are an English pop group :)

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  13. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

I'm happy with a 1965 to 1967 set but if they do this right I'm extremely interested.

14. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

Hopefully no scarfs and marbles this time... I'm refreshing this page every 2 mins! :)

15. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

32 minutes since my last post and still no news?! :)

Rooster_Ties, rontoon and willy like this.
  16. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

willy likes this.
  17. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Not really following much of the Floyd reissue threads (lately anyway, mainly because I'm too busy)...but I did pop on to their official site the other day and noticed that all their vinyl offerings (pretty much the whole catalog) are listed as 'upcoming' except for the 4 that were released recently. One way to parse that info is that they will possibly also be doing fresh cuts of DSOTM and WYWH.
    An Early Years set of vinyl would absolutely empty wallets worldwide and sell like hotcakes I imagine.
    Wasn't that 2x7" Black friday RSD release something of a teaser? Count me in for wallet emptying if it concerns a set with all the early singles and rarities on vinyl..

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    giantleech and Tommyboy like this.
  18. GroovingPict

GroovingPict New Member

Well, that depends on what you see as "nearest" :p

The white one with orange lettering is the UK promo picture sleeve for Apples & Oranges. On top of that one is the UK promo picture sleeve for See Emily Play (the black and white train drawing). Closer than that, in a red Columbia company sleeve is very likely Point Me At The Sky, as indicated by the photo on top of it (it's the one where they are wearing the pilot gear and is often associated with Point Me At The Sky). Underneath that, with pink lettering on black background is the UK promo picture sleeve for Arnold Layne. That only leaves, as far as I can tell, the single with the green Columbia company sleeve, which likely is It Would Be So Nice, as thats the remaining early single (the next single released in the UK would be Another Brick In The Wall)

rontoon and Nick Dunning like this.
  19. mark kirk

mark kirk Forum Resident

[​IMG]

willy likes this.
  20. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

This (whatever "this" is) has the potential to be amongst my most favourite music releases ever...which is why I'm so apprehensive about it not living up to the ideal.

Pre-DSOTM Floyd is mystical and magical and the possibilities are endless - live shows, outtakes, mono mixes, stereo mixes, alternate versions, liner notes, unreleased photos...I just hope that whatever we get is the real deal and not just a repackaging of the albums plus the early singles. I am just as fascinated by Obscured By Clouds tracking sessions as I am by Syd Barrett demos. Please give us everything!!

21. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

SpinCDs are tweeting a 15 CD set due for release 11 Nov ...

22. inspiracy

inspiracy Senior Member

There's also a one CD listing for the same release date with the same vague artist/title listing at Color - Early Single Disc - Amazon.com Music ».

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  23. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

15 CDs???? They have to be including the studio albums (eight discs...ten if we get the first two albums in stereo and mono). No way they've got that much spare material.*

*Again, I'm trying to minimize disappointment but am quietly thrilled.

ODShowtime likes this.
  24. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

Really hoping that this will include more surprises than stuff we already have :)

I especially hope for the following:
    - First 7 albums in Hi Res and 5.1 if possible.
    - A few discs with demos and outtakes from each year '65 - '72
    - DVDs/Blurays with video anthology and concert footage, especially UFO 1967 or any other footage from the Syd era, and fully restored KQED - An Hour With Pink Floyd. Footage of The Man & The Journey 1969 would also be amazing!

25. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

There's really nothing in the picture to suggest this is 15 CDs. So, whatever this listing is, I don't think it's the Early Years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.