The Pedal Steel Guitar Thread: Who are your favorite players?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by melstapler, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Red Rhodes

Peace and love✌

melstapler likes this.
  2. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Oh. I forgot, Jeff Baxter on the first three Steely Dan albums. His work on Razor Boy is beautiful.

pacealot likes this.
  3. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Yes Nels - lap steel

Thanks for the Being There tip

4. BiffJackson

BiffJackson Senior Member

Sonny Landreth and Cindy Cashdollar seem to be on some sort of limited tour together. Hard to pass up.

5. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist Thread Starter

Definitely. I've seen Egan with BR and he is an incredible player. For his solo projects, he should be doing instrumentals.

6. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

I've never actually seen the Egan incarnation of Blue Rodeo. Boy did Kim Deschamps play a glorious solo on Hasn't Hit Me Yet. Egan's never struck me as the technical type, so I'd be interested to hear his take on Kim's parts.

melstapler likes this.
  7. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Green is awesome

8. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

BJ Cole plays "Claire de Lune"

9. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Waddy Wachtel who plays steel on this gorgeous song, fabulous stuff.

Mench for Leonard Arnold who plays steel on the rest of BHS.

Front 242 Addict and melstapler like this.
  10. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Loved this album ever since I picked it up in the early 80's from a cut-out bin at Peaches in Toledo, OH. Rusty has unfortunately been kind of forgotten.

The Killer likes this.
  11. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Waddy was also in The Everly's touring band in 1972, band leader was Warren Zevon (didn't know that), here's a neat clip from 1972 from the David Frost TV show, sound only for WW.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  12. melstapler

Definitely. Egan's interpretations of Kim's parts are effective, but different. I try to realize that no two instruments or setups are mechanically identical, nor will they provide the same exact timing for the player, but Kim was with them during a critical period of their career. Kim moved to the U.S. and has played with numerous Texas artists.

13. YearOfGlad

YearOfGlad Forum Resident

I know he was mentioned way upthread, like the second or third post, but I have to say John David Call (Pure Prairie League) is just fantastic.

His playing especially on PPL's first alum blew me away. I had no idea the instrument could play hot lead like that. The pedal steel / Telecaster call-and-response "battles" on some of those tracks, like "Country Song" are jaw-dropping.

The long instrumental break starting about 3:16 is what i'm talking about

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  14. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Interesting - I've never seen Cindy Cashdollar play pedal steel; I've only know her as a lap steel player. :)

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  15. LadderFilter

LadderFilter Member

I want to suggest you an interesting pedal steel player that's not involved in country or blues or "classic" rock.
    He's Johan Lindström from the swedish crossover jazz band Tonbruket.
    Try to listen his genuine work in the 2010 album Dig it to the end. Great taste in his hands... (both in acoustic and electric context)
    The whole album is really worth listening!

[​IMG]

Mr. H likes this.
  16. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Garcia adds beautiful pedal steel to David Crosby's "Laughing", from If I Could Only Remember My Name.

ianuaditis likes this.
  17. cacaaaaaaw

cacaaaaaaw Forum Resident

Just listening to this now and it's great. Read about them from another thread and once the guitar kicked in on Vinegar Heart I was sold. Going to have to listen to the rest of their albums next.

18. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

A lot of great players have been mentioned.

I found myself listening to Gary Carter quite a few times. The guy has a lot of skill. Whether it's a traditional sound. Or a slow melodic instrumental,

19. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

20. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

Not your standard ranch stash

melstapler likes this.
  21. Koz3e

Koz3e Forum Resident

Kim Deschamps from Cowboy Junkies/ Blue Rodeo.

melstapler likes this.
  22. Koz3e

Koz3e Forum Resident

I had this on 78! A friend had picked up a few from a junk shop including Teddy Bear by Elvis and Lucille by Little Richard. They were in excellent condition and it was the first time I realized that 78s could sound pretty good if they hadn't suffered years of abuse like my parents collection had! No idea where they are now...possibly moulding in by brother's basement!

WayOutWardell likes this.
  23. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Rusty Young
    Al Perkins
    Lloyd Maines

melstapler likes this.
  24. melstapler

A pioneer in the cosmic cowboy movement, the ever-youthful Patterson Barrett is an excellent pedal steel player who has played for a variety of artists ranging from Jerry Jeff Walker and Ray Wylie Hubbard to Hal Ketchum and has been with Buddy Miller for many years. He also plays for Stephanie Urbina Jones. Barrett is a multi-instrumentalist and also plays dobro, guitar, baritone guitar and mandolin. If you've gone to see Buddy Miller with his band, then you've definitely heard Barrett in action.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. melstapler

The often overlooked California country music hero Vance Terry was born in 1934 and served as pedal steel player for Billy Jack Wills (little brother of Bob Wills) during the 1950s, until Bob Wills hired him in 1954. Shortly thereafter, Vance left a career in music to attend college in 1955. Vance was a successful businessman and in his later years, got back into music and even filmed pedal steel instructional videos. Sadly, his death in 2001 was caused by alcohol and drug addiction. Regardless of his final years, Vance will always be remembered as the young pedal steel prodigy who inspired and befriended some of the best players in the business.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Vance backing Jimmie Rivers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.