Got Jerry Garcia solo anyone?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daedalus, Feb 18, 2015.

1. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident

Man this PJ5 disc 1 is off to a great start! I loooove these 89' shows. Absolutely grooving on this "Get Out My Life Woman".

Gloria and Jaclyn just beautiful on the backing vocals. I can see and feel Jerry smiling.

[​IMG]

2. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

It's a nifty little disc that's definitely worth getting. It has two unique cuts that are not officially available anywhere else: the up-tempo, almost breakneck, arrangement of "Tough Mama" and the late-period return of "Like a Road Leading Home".

3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Tears of Rage is another relative rarity on it.

4. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

My Jerry collection isn't up to snuff and this is one I need.

LUNACHUCK, Wright and Crispy Rob like this.
  5. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

"Someday Baby" is another one on that disc he revived from the Merl Saunders repertoire. I wonder if that's because the Keystone titles had just come out on CD and made Jerry remember those songs.

6. DrLunchbox

Ordered. I blame Chuck.

Thanks Chuck!

budwhite, LUNACHUCK and Wright like this.
  7. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Just re-listening to this disc and have to throw in the emendation that "Tough Mama" is only "breakneck" by Jerry standards. But wow, what a take! If it hadn't been released in 1997, I would have thought it had been sweetened in the studio (like I understand the JGB double live album was).

budwhite, Crispy Rob and LUNACHUCK like this.
  8. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident

Haha I found a sealed copy for $14.99 earlier and bought it just after I posted that and before I even had a reply. We are a sick bunch, all of us! ;)

9. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

I love this one. Great versions of "Think", "Like a Road", "Gomorrah", "Tears of Rage", etc. And some tremendous photos of Jerry and the band at a good time.

NorCal, LUNACHUCK and Crispy Rob like this.
  10. Daedalus

PS:oh yeah -there is a t shirt out there with the cover photo of Jerry on the front.

11. kiddo4

kiddo4 Forum Resident

All his collaborations with David Grisman are just great. :)

12. Daedalus

Just put it on now, my friend. Listening thru my electostatics Stax phones and amp. That's what love will make you do.

13. NorCal

NorCal Forum Resident

[​IMG] After spending time in Berkeley yesterday, decided to listen to one of my favorites from the latter day JGB.

14. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident

Finally getting to give this a spin tonight. Sounds great so far!! :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  15. DrLunchbox

Mine arrived today. Plan to listen to it tomorrow.

Billy_Sunday, LUNACHUCK and Daedalus like this.
  16. Daedalus

Great release.

LUNACHUCK likes this.
  17. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Random Jerry question -
    The recent Garcialive CDS are coming out at a steady pace~
    So fast that I can't afford them all!

At this point, please advise which Volumes are essential must haves?
    Perhaps the top 3 (or 4) recommendations?
    With comments why you prefer that Volume above others?

Thanks ! ;)

LUNACHUCK and highway like this.
  18. DrLunchbox

Fortunately, as of right now, it seems that they're also being released in high enough volumes that if you can't get them all at the time of release, they'll likely be available for a few years. Not the mad scramble like some of the other Dead releases.

I'd put vols. 4, 5, and 6 as my "must haves"

LUNACHUCK, lightbulb and highway like this.
  19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

My favorites in the series are 1, 3, and 4. Vol. 1 is a classic show that was circulating in high quality off of the FM broadcast back since right after its 1980 performance, well played and energetic although some people don't like the keyboard tones. I mostly enjoy them, and everything else about the performance is wonderful.

Vol. 3 is a terrific Legion of Mary show, with the jazzy excursions one would expect and great Betty Board sound. Vol. 4 is the Keith and Donna version of the JGB at its peak in Spring '78. The PureJerry release from the Warner Theater 3/18/78 is even better, but now hard to find for a reasonable price, and this is its close cousin.

Vol. 6 would probably come next after that, and once I fully digest it (only listened once so far) it may move up in my list. Vol. 5 is from quite possibly my favorite JGB lineup (with Nicky Hopkins and Ron Tutt), but is a bit sloppy at times because everyone was partying hard on New Year's Eve. It's got some great stuff, but is not as good overall as some other shows I've heard from that lineup, including the earlier Let It Rock release, which was outstanding. Vol. 2 is a fairly typical latter period performance (which is not a bad thing at all) goosed by Bela Fleck (who I like but don't love) appearing on a couple tracks. It's fine, but not a particularly interesting setlist, and there are plenty of other JGB shows from that era that I like at least as much, or more.

Vol. 7 looks very exciting.

20. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

Though I usually prefer getting GD/JG stuff on CD due to the higher capacity of that medium, I couldn't resist picking this up the other day:

[​IMG]

21. Daedalus

Great analysis. I pretty much agree on your assessment. One caveat however-even the weakest two releases are worth getting -the Greek Theatre has a nice mellow glow to it that is very appealing and the vol 5 has its wild and wooly moments. I guess my argument is that you ultimately should acquire all of them and if you don't you may later regret it if they go OOP and the prices soar as did the PureJerry releases and the studio box set-"All Good Things"( other than a short period when a few boxes were discovered and sold on the jerrygarcia site).

highway, lightbulb, LUNACHUCK and 2 others like this.
  22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I agree with your caveat. I am glad to have them all...

Daedalus and LUNACHUCK like this.
  23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I bought an original pressing of this yesterday myself.

Billy_Sunday, Daedalus and LUNACHUCK like this.
  24. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident

Gearing up for Jerry Week starting August 1st, as we celebrate the birth and passing of this wonderful soul. I can't seem to take this set out of my CD player the past few days. :)

[​IMG]

laf848, Daedalus, hyde park and 2 others like this.
  25. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident

And just as a heads up in case anyone doesn't have it, I didn't own the "Keystone Companions: The Complete 1973 Fantasy Recordings Box Set" and it seems it's OOP. I placed an order direct to the Amazon warehouse for below retail, $29, even though it was out of stock and only available for much higher prices through third party sellers. Well to my surprise they filled it after about a 2 week wait and it arrived! Nice box with cool extras and unreleased tracks from these famous shows.