Turntable upgrade advice

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by shadowlord, Jul 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadowlord

shadowlord Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm seeking advice if i should consider to upgrade my turntable rig.
    currently i'm using a Dual CS5000 with either a ortofon 2m blue or a audio technica 440mla cartridge into my ANT Audio Kora 3t SE phono preamp. The Dual has the alternate non VTA adjustable headshell.
    ( the rest of the playback chain being an Exposure 3010 s2d integrated amp and Elac FS 249 loudspeakers.)

I'm wondering if a upgrade budget of around 2000 - 2500 Euro would yield my noticeable sonic improvement.
    What bugs me a bit with my current TT setup is lacking low frequency impact.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

2. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom Lodger

How about one of your local Pro-jects? I think they make something with great mass, don't they?
    DD

3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'm not familiar with the Dual, but I think your budget would just about get you a Michell Gyro SE and Michell TechnoArm which is a really great deck that will get the most out of your existing carts and can also handle high end MCs, it can also be nicely upgraded with the addition of the HR power supply, oh and as an added bonus looks fantastic. There are several GyroDec/Gyro SE owners on this forum so you'd get plenty of advice if needed. I will say that every time I have upgraded my Gyro SE, whether it be the HR power supply or better arms I have heard obvious improvements, mine currently has a Michell TechnoArm mounted and I'm using an Ortofon MC30 Super, my Michell Orbe/SME IV/VdH MC 2 sounds better, but it costs nearly three times the money and the Gyro SE is a bargain for how good it is.

If the Gyro doesn't appeal then I agree with Daddy Dom that it's worth considering Pro-Ject and that sort of budget gives you some nice options, unfortunately I haven't heard any of the current 10 Series Pro-Jects so can't say if they are competitive with the Michell, my third suggestion would be the Rega 10 which is above your budget, but I have seen quite a few ex demo Rega 10s for sale in the UK for about 10% more than your budget and it is a very nice deck.

You are willing to spend a serious amount of money so you have a lot of very good options in addition to the above, take your time to get it right and I think you will be a very happy owner of a new deck that will give you years of pleasure.

Pancat likes this.
  4. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

The Dual CS5000 is a little dated compared to your amp and speakers, which by the way are some killer speakers with that wonderful German voicing (very much unlike the ones made for the American market that Mr. Jones is designing and making for Elac.)

IF you like Dual....they do have some new tables out and I do hear that the Dual CS600 is quite good for its price! Dual Plattenspieler - Dual CS 600 »

Now some people would say switch out the arm and upgrade as much as you can with your current table....but i'm of the camp that says why bother? If I was in your shoes, especially with the Exposure amp and Elac speakers.... I'd be looking at a new table and with your budget, there're lots of options for you.....get out and listen to as many tables as you can before making a choice about what you want. That's part of the fun in this hobby....at least for me it is.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  5. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

Another vote here for the GyroSE. A fantastic deck and doesn't lack low frequency impact.

6. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

I'll get on the Michell Gyro Dec train as well. Lovely sound, excellent engineering, quality build, and great support. And it looks fabulous.

There are other excellent turntables, almost too many to mention these days but Michell has a great track record and did I mention it looks fabulous!

Pancat likes this.
  7. shadowlord

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

I'm a bit wary about pro-ject since i own a xpression 3 comfort and it's motor noise is very annoying.
    (It's better with the upgraded motor mount, but still noticeable and i expected better quality from pro-ject at that price)

I found the Austrian Michell distributor located in Vienna and I'm planning to visit them soon.

Dubmart likes this.
  8. Destroysall

Destroysall Forum Resident

If Vinyl Nirvana ships internationally (which I believe they do), I would consider one of his refurbished Thorens turntables. They are fantastic and I actually am hoping to invest into a turntable from there myself.

Another one to consider would be the Clearaudio Concept Wood.

Manimal likes this.
  9. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

I'm just curious, how does any (modern) turntable have motor noise? If so, is it heard through the platter, the plinth, the speakers? Does it hum, vibrate, buzz? Is it due to AC voltage? Motors are so small and isolated by a belt I don't see how this happens. And any machine priced around 700 dollars sure shouldn't have motor noise issues.

Again, just curious.

10. shadowlord

It's a combination of the AC motor and it's mounting.
    The rumble is picked up by the stylus as soon as it hits the groove. An upgraded motor mount did reduce the problem a bit but it's still noticeable in quiet passages.

here is an older discussion regarding this topic:
    Does the new Project Debut Carbon DC fix the motor hum problem? »

11. missan

missan Forum Resident

I think it´s most likely the plinth vibrating and picked upp by the arm at pivot, in most cases.

12. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Upgrade ? Really ? :yikes: It takes exponentially more money to upgrade from something that is already darn good. Call me a conformist but I think it may be overkill.

Low frequency impact ? You mean compared with CDs ?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Nothing against the Dual, but for his budget the OP can get a deck that will genuinely and obviously outperform it with very noticeable improvements in sound quality.

The Pinhead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.