Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2016 Subscription Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gammondorf, Nov 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Wait a minute!!! I'm in the incubation period as my full-fledged fanaticism only took hold maybe only 6 months ago. I took a hiatus and it lasted less than 24 hours. Maybe harder for me as despite me only listening to commercially released CDs, I have many recordings I've only listened to a few times. So very hard, for example, to NOT listen to The Other One from 9/3/72 from the bonus material on disc 4 of DP36 on the way home today. It would be my second listen ever. I know I'm gonna want to hear this many, many, many times going forward as I've listened to things like Parker-Guy-Lytton "At the Vortex" from 1996 many many many MANY times over the past 15 years as with truly great improvisation, so much is revealed over time, space and environment.

This AM, I listened to the Dark Star from the above DP36 for the second time and me needs to know what one calls that jam/melody ~ 31 minutes in. Countryish but not feeling groovy?!?!?

budwhite likes this.
  2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

@Archtop made up a name for that section, I'm sure.

3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I'm on a bit of a hiatus myself. Between the 30 Trips box, Dave's Picks, July '78 box, and recent GarciaLive release that's nearly 40 officially released shows that I've tried to digest in past 9 months or so, not to mention occasional spins of older releases and archive.org excursions. I have been catching up on some other stuff as well as going on family vacations that haven't been conducive to full show listening. Now that I've said that, I'll probably suddenly feel compelled to throw on a show tonight. But actually, I think I'm going to keep up the hiatus. It would be nice to go in fresh to this 1970 release.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    Matthew Tate and budwhite like this.
  4. Dahabenzapple

My hiatus has been live music which will stretch from 7/1 until 8/18 which will be as long as it has been in over 5 years. Good news is I'm seeing shows on 8/18, 8/20 & 8/21.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  5. It's the chord changes to "Uncle John's Band."

It's been called Uncle John's Jam, and it's often mixed-up with the Mind Left Body jam and the Feelin' Groovy jam.
    Your mileage my vary.

Paperback Writer likes this.
  6. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Dark Star--> Mind Left Country of Spain Jam (28:15-) Excellent!!!-->

I'm just gonna have to disagree. At 31:00, it's a pedal on D, with the D played as mixolydian (i.e., as a D7) nothing more. It then drifts back to Mind Left Body just before Sugar Mag.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    Paperback Writer likes this.
  7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

wow early shipping notices i guess. none here yet

8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I got mine some hours ago. But, as you know, some people never receives them, or receives them after the item was delivered.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I'm not on a hiatus, but I'm finding it harder and harder to find a full evening for listening. I have 3 box sets unopened. When the days grow shorter and colder, perhaps I will get to them. But when it's 86 degrees and light until 9PM there are other things to do. I would like to build up a familiarity with more of this music, although with the exception of 18 the past year or so has not seen anything really stellar.

The first poster who got his shipping notice lives in the UK so that's probably why it was so early. And now South America, so maybe they're being logical with their approach this time. Naaaaah, what am I saying? That's silly talk.

Rne and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Sometimes I think they're having an acid test while they sent those mails.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I do wish Dave would dose for one of his seaside chats. It would take him 12 hours to get through the details of the box with all the distractions. "Look, a seagull. And flying bats!!!! And...."

12. Matthew Tate

thanks I didn't notice that

13. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Grateful Dead = Pokemon. Gotta' catch 'em all.
    :laugh::righton:

DrLunchbox likes this.
  14. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Got my shipping notice yesterday

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Me 2

16. Matthew Tate

anyone in the states getting a shipping notice yet?

17. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Yes, just got mine.

18. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

*checks email* :mad:

19. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

I haven't gotten a shipping notice either. I did use the "order lookup" on dead.net and my order status is "shipped". :thumbsup:

20. Krivers

Krivers Forum Resident

Got my shipping notice this morning.

21. Dahabenzapple

I did the same and it says under status "pre-order"

Maybe from what you all have been telling me I might get mine before those who have received shipping notifications:)

I did get Dick's Picks 22 in the mail yesterday and I heard the 2/23/68 Viola Lee Blues for the first time as well as my first listen EVER to an early 6 minute (6:49) Dark Star PLUS my first listen EVER to an early live (rough but incredible) China Cat Sunflower!!!

So nothing is wrong in this world for me today. If you knew more, you all wouldn't believe how little is wrong in my world today compared to the way it once was:)

22. NorCal

NorCal Forum Resident

Just got my shipping notice as well. Interesting that I never received the address validation email they usually send for subscribers.

23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

My favorite "Viola Lee Blues"

Matthew Tate, John Bonham and GerryO like this.
  24. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Got my shipping notice today. I too have been on "Dead hiatus" since the July 78 set. Looking forward to hearing this new release. :cheers:

25. Dahabenzapple

Recording quality better than 5/2/70. In fact much better than I thought it would sound except didn't I read that these may be 4-track recordings??

But for me it lacks the impact/power of the Harpur College version. I do think it's stronger than 4/26/69 or 11/10/67.

I don't have the 1/20/68 or the 1/23/68 versions that are on Road Trips 2, volume 2 and the bonus disc, respectively. I don't think there are any other commercially released versions. Correct me if I'm wrong. Plus as much as I've been a bit obsessed with Viola Lee, I think that once I eventually decide to pay pretty big bucks for the famous Valentine's 68 show plus the January 68 tracks, I'll have enough versions of Viola Lee Blues to last me for a lifetime.

In retrospect, it's now pretty clear to me why they dropped it by the fall of 70. It's very limited in where the jam can go and they were starting to stretch in multiple directions in their improvisations. By 73, it would have been thoroughly an anachronism.

Matthew Tate and budwhite like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.