Moody Blues Days of Future Passed Deluxe Edition SACD&CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluerondo, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluerondo

bluerondo Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm trying to get most of the "classic seven" Moody Blues SACD's, and other than "To Our Children's Children" (which I've never cared for much) I have all of them except for The Moody Blues Days of Future Passed Deluxe Edition 5.1 Surround SACD & CD, which of course is out of print. I have the MFSL of same, but I've heard enough good about the SACD layer that I'd live to have it, but at a premium of $50-$100 I just can't make that leap. Does anyone know where it can be had for less? Should I even bother, given I have the MFSL? Am I just living in a dream world? Maybe it's a fool's errand to ask, but I always heard asking's for free, so I ask anyways.

2. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

i have been getting close to $100 for the ones i had on ebay. haven't seen any less than that in my travels lately. unless you get lucky on ebay or at a used store. good luck. it sounds incredible.

3. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Didn't realize they were going for that much. Did you try starting a "WTB" thread in the classifieds? I have had a lot of luck there.

4. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

If you are not into 5.1 surround, then stay away from this SACD. The stereo section of the DSD layer is loud and bright.

oopap, bgiliberti and jsayers like this.
  5. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Even if you are into surround, I think the DTS CD sounds better than the SACD.

cordobaman and rd1 like this.
  6. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

For the stereo mix, the MFSL is impossible to beat. I can't comment on the surround mix.

oopap and bluerondo like this.
  7. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Then maybe you are not a true Hoffman Forum member. Everybody here comments on all kinds of things that they never actually heard. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

8. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Everybody?

bluerondo and therockman like this.
  9. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

+1
    It sounds "mechanical".

The MFSL CD is better.

bgiliberti and bluerondo like this.
  10. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

I have most of the various releases, MFSL, SACD remasters, Levenson remasters, and like many above, if you don't have 5.1
    hardware, then settle into the great sounding Levenson-indused remasters that are everywhere and cheap cheap cheap!!
    And then stay off of Ebay and enjoy the high quality, inexpensive titles you'll be getting with a little know-how-searching...

11. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Easy enough to find a "5.1 reduced to 4.0" conversion out there. Just sayin' :angel:

12. bluerondo

bluerondo Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd love to do that for sure, if I indeed knew how. Actually, all of the "5.1" Moody Blues SACD's are just the quad mixes, and if you don't believe me just try (as I have) listening to the middle speaker when you're playing one. You won't here anything, 'cause it's a 4.0 mix and not 5.1 after all. This is well known. That no reason IMHO to avoid these, it's just a fact is all.

13. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Re: To Our Childrens Childrens Children

If you are buying the SACD for the surround mixes, imho, Childrens is the best one, by far.

jsayers likes this.
  14. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

I remember comparing the two and I would describe the SACD version as cleaner (for lack of a better adjective). But as you say the DTS is a worthy alternative for the SACD & much more affordable. One could probably secure both the DTS & MFSL (if you also want the best redbook, although the original Deram CD release was no slouch) for less than the SACD.

jsayers likes this.
  15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Are the SACDS complete set still available?

16. fabrikk

fabrikk Well-Known Member

I've noticed used DTS copies that are cheaper than the SACD, but still bloody expensive! I've never owned a DTS, is playability an issue for this old format? I have an Oppo player that seems to handle most everything, so hopefully DTS will play on it too. And yes, it's the 5.1 audio that I'm wanting to get.

Also, it seems that of the "classic seven" albums reissued in Deluxe versions, In Search of the Lost Chord is the lone one that was never done in 5.1. I don't think there was ever a Quad mix done (not released anyway), but wonder if it will ever be re reissued in some "faux surround" (sorry I can't recall the proper term just now) version in future.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  17. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

The multis are missing.

jsayers likes this.
  18. fabrikk

So I gathered, but haven't I read that there are recent computer-assisted methods of creating a surround mix out of sources other than the original multis? In fact, I think that SW had to work around some partly-missing multis in that way, on one of the deluxe Tull reissues. Pardon my ignorance, and if I'm just hallucinating it's OK to tell me :confused:

19. Hamhead

Is there more than one surround mix for "Days"?

I owned the original quad reel to reel tape.
    In that mix, it had the Moodies on the front speakers and the Tron and orchestra in the rear speakers.

The DTS disc has it changed around somewhat with more information in the rear speakers, plus it has a 7 minute + version of "Peak Hour."

fabrikk likes this.
  20. Hamhead

There was a person who did computer-assisted 5.1 remixes named GART who did a remix of "Chord" which is quite excellent.
    It was so good it would fool you that it was a remix from the multitracks but it wasn't.

fabrikk likes this.
  21. fabrikk

Ah yes, I believe I've heard of this download-only (amirite?) source. Saw the website a couple of years ago and was intrigued, then kinda forgot about it.

22. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

+1. True dat. And add startlingly compressed. The cold hearted orb who rules the night must have fallen asleep when they did the SACD layer, because the 5.1 and CD layers are quite good.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

First I played the 2 disc SACD, where I always notice how the spoken words are drowned out by the instruments in 5.1 ?!?

Then the DTS CD which doesn't have that problem.

Am I losing my mind ? Or is that the diff. in 4.0 and 5.1 ?

EDIT : Just read of the " manipulation " of the quad mix, in the SACD booklet. Phew.

FWIW, I have the MFSL too, plus a UK vinyl copy.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.