Sly Stone's recompense...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by workinsteamin, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. workinsteamin

workinsteamin Well-Known Member Thread Starter

2. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

They are appealing the decision, so it might be a while before he sees any green. Also, I always wondered in lawsuits like this - what if the defendant flat doesn't have that kind of money to pay? Do they make monthly installments or something?

3. Property/assets can be seized, then sheriff sale, unless defendant arranges otherwise. GOldstein also owns the rights and licensing to the band, War.

4. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Just bought The Essential Sly & The Family Stone and the single-disc Higher! within the past couple of months.

I hope my little contribution gets back to him.

Mr wiggles, rstamberg and zphage like this.
  5. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Is he still living in a van down by the river?

6. StevelandJudkins

StevelandJudkins Forum Resident

This article is almost a year and a half old

coniferouspine likes this.
  7. workinsteamin

Wow just realized this article is over 1 1/2 years old. :doh:

8. workinsteamin

Yes. Just realized. Ugh...

9. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Wonder if Sly ever got any cash? The OP owes it to us to research this and let us know! :agree::laugh:

10. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Last I'd heard it was still in appeal.:cry:

jsayers likes this.
  11. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I tried googling it, didn't find anything

Next his buddy George needs to get his publishing back so we can get some US releases of that stuff.

12. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

13. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

Why Sly Stone Still Can't Collect the Royalties From His Classic Songs from the LA Times last December.

The short version: he sold the rights to the guy he sued, in exchange for 50% ownership in the guy's publishing company. Oops.

...in a Dec. 7 ruling, Superior Court Judge Mark V. Mooney said that Stone had assigned his royalties to Even St. Productions in 1989 in return for 50% ownership in the company.

"Mr. Stewart entered into the agreement with the assistance of advisors ... and received a substantial benefit from entering into the agreement," the judge wrote.

But wait! In May 2016: Ex-Sly Stone Rep Fights For New BMI Royalties Trial This one's from a legal publication, and boy does it sound like it...

Funk legend Sly Stone's former manager urged a California appeals court Wednesday to grant a new trial on whether Broadcast Music Inc. breached a royalty agreement by paying $1 million to a different manager, arguing the trial court should have told the jury the agreement was uncontested.
    During oral arguments in Los Angeles, Jay M. Spillane of Spillane Trial Group PLC, representing Virginia Pope, the successor in interest to Stone’s deceased former manager Ken Roberts, urged a three-judge appellate panel to reverse rulings in a pair of suits that sought to hold BMI responsible for paying out royalties to what Roberts had alleged were the wrong parties.

First, Spillane urged the panel to order a new trial in Pope’s suit alleging BMI violated an agreement under which Stone — legally Sylvester Stewart — assigned his royalty rights to Roberts when it paid $1 million to another Stone manager, Gerald Goldstein. Spillane argued that the existence and enforceability of this assignment agreement was admitted by BMI in its own cross-complaint in the proceeding, but Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Mark Mooney failed to correctly inform the jury of this fact. Spillane argued that this failure let BMI inaccurately paint his client as an “interloper” who was trying to steal Stone’s royalties without a valid agreement, and pushed the jury to incorrectly find BMI had no agreement with Roberts.

That's just the first 2 paragraphs. It goes on like that for a good long while.

Anyway, they're fighting for a new trial that they may not get, and if they do, they may not win. It's not looking too rosy for our man Sylvester, at least not any time soon.

14. StevelandJudkins

StevelandJudkins Forum Resident

Amazing how these greats from years past had so many vultures preying on them when they were spaced out. The guy who owns George Clintons catalog has a label and the only artists on the label are Pfunk. Everytime a movie wants to use Pfunk or a artist wants to sample them, they have to go through this D-bag in Detroit who's only client is the mind of George Clinton. Meanwhile poor George has to do 200 plus concerts per year at age 74 just to have the money to live off of and to fight the case so he can have something to leave his heirs.

Bloodsuckers.

pantofis, fr in sc, proudy and 3 others like this.
  15. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

More importantly, what did he spend it on?

16. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

What I don't understand is why in the last 15 years or so the only PFunk CD i've seen new in stores was Mothership Connection, which I found in the 4.99 bin at FYE. (FWIW I'll buy almost any CD for 4.99, nevermind one of the masterpieces of the last 30 years.)

I'd browse the music section at Barnes and Noble on my break at work, and I would find all sorts of obscure titles, especially before they started carrying vinyl. They have every album from Cinderella, but not Funkentelechy vs. the Placebo Syndrome? There's something fundamentally wrong with that.

17. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

He got a new van. :laugh::sigh:

18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

...and the film of Hendrix at the Royal Albert Hall in 1969 (which has been blocked up since the early 2000s - supposed to be in cineamas around the world this year).

19. npc145

npc145 music junkie

20. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Apparently the above is NOT an update. Quoting from a commentator on the linked page: "Um...this is an old story from Feb 2015. And he was denied those royalties in Dec 2015. This is made more clear by the fact that this post labels Sly as 71, and he's actually 73."

So it's just the same story with nothing new, except a newer dateline.

21. npc145

npc145 music junkie

Too bad.

22. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

23. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

the funny thing about lawsuits is that they can be appealed, then re-appealed, all the way to the Supreme Court, then, after THAT, can be reinitiated as another lawsuit just changing the issue somewhat. Pathetic. They will be lucky to see any payout in their lifetime.

melstapler and rockclassics like this.
  24. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

And the only people that see any real money are the lawyers.

geo50000, Matthew Tate and lennonfan1 like this.
  25. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

give the genius his money

Mr wiggles, ianuaditis and melstapler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.