Shane

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by shokhead, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I just watched the Bluray. Wonderful job with this release and thankfully at the correct aspect ratio as was shot/composed.

2. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Yes, lots of controversy before this blu-ray was issued. But the final result is spectacular.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA! Thread Starter

What are the extra's?

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

my recollection of this was in B&W, but it's beautiful color!

5. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Only George Stevens Jr. Commentary and the trailer. Stevens Jr. was a production assistant on the film while his father directed and he evidently supervised the blu-ray. The original technicolor strips were scanned in 4k for the renovation.

6. shokhead

:righton:

7. shokhead

One of the things I like to do when I'm watching an older film is to see who is still alive that was in it. I think all the actors from shane are gone.

8. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Never realized Woody Allen was such a fan of the movie...

Nice write up by Woody...

9. shokhead

Didn't realize that Jean Arthur was 10 years older then Van Heflin and 13 years older then Ladd.

10. shokhead

It's just starting! Hurry, don't miss it,..............again.

11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

My old man's favorite film.........he came from Hazelton, Jack P's hometown.

12. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Shane is one of those classic films that I've actually never gotten around to watching... maybe I'll order the DVD, it's dirt cheap.

13. Geoff

Geoff Senior Member

Get the Bluray, it looks AMAZING.

14. shokhead

:righton:

15. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Just came across this, too:
    Screen shot 2015-04-01 at 10.11.23 PM.png

16. shokhead

The roots of Ladd’s depression can almost certainly be traced back to his childhood, which was anything but stable — his father died before his eyes when he was only four years old. When his mother remarried, the family began a Joad-like trek west and eventually settled in California. Their itinerant days cost Ladd a few years in school — and consequently he was not only the smallest, but also the oldest boy in his year. Nor did it help that he made poor grades, was excruciatingly shy, and had no stable male role model. If suicide is hereditary, then he never had a chance. In 1937, wrecked on alcohol and poverty, his mother swallowed ant poison and died before his eyes, just as he was struggling to get his first break. The incident naturally devastated him, and many insiders have speculated that he spent the rest of his life seeking to replace the doting woman who had been his only source of reassurance and approval. Sue Carol, ten years his senior, filled some of the void left in his mother’s wake, and Ladd came to consider the Paramount a surrogate home. Nonetheless, he was plagued with guilt about his mother for the rest of his days, and when he left the comfortable surroundings of Paramount his peace of mind and sense of stability deteriorated even further.

17. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Get the Masters of Cinema 2-disc blu-ray (if you can find a copy). It has the original 1.37:1 aspect ratio on disc one and the theatrical 1.66:1 on disc two.

It also has a different version of the 1.66:1 'crop' on disc two as well, which was done specifically for this release.

Everyone has their own preference (mine is the 1.37:1) but it's nice to have choices.

18. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Liked the movie and the slow pace - that's how it was.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2016
  19. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Regarding Shane, it always sounded as if this film used the sound effect of cannons for hand guns -and I've always enjoyed it immensely.

shokhead likes this.
  20. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Looks like Shane came back.

21. geralmar

geralmar Forum Resident

Not in the least important, but during the first appearance of Shane-- seen as tiny image riding towards the ranch-- a bright point of light moves horizontally left to right in the background. Speculation is that sunlight is reflecting off a vehicle on a highway in the far distance. Either that or a UFO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.