XTC Skylarking & English Settlement Deluxe Vinyl Editions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mikeyerg, Jun 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike burgess

Mike burgess Forum Resident

I succumbed under intense pressure from you lot And ordered ES. It's my favourite XTC album, and the whole music/cover art/memories package made me do it. I have no will power!

willy and Jack like this.
  2. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Well, you have a lot of Beatle books, to say the least, and I spy one more on that stool. How's the new McCartney bio from Philip Norman?

3. I'm enjoying it . I've read so many that each adds another small piece.

4. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Do we have a source for this? FINALLY my copy of ES came in the mail (and it is beautiful!!) but the notes make no mention of the analog/digital masters.

I am spinning the record now and although I haven't compared my UK or Canadian original, it sounds fantastic. In only going by memory I am hearing more details, a balanced EQ and the soundstage is definitely wider. Quiet vinyl too (do we know where these sets were pressed?). I will compare later this afternoon. The verdict is too early but for me this might also be the definitive version. I must say these might be my favourite reissues of the year bar none!!!!! THIS is how to do it!

5. Vinylsoul 1965

I'd rather turn the gain up than have it too compressed and not be able to bring it down. I'm on JASON and the bass is sublime. There is depth here and the higher frequencies (think cymbals) are clear. I am hearing more details in the recording than I ever have before.

cyclistsb and sonofjim like this.
  6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It is easy to verify. Put a needledrop of an original pressing through a spectrogram and you'll see a 22kHz brickwall cut-off indicative of an early digital master.

7. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I received my copies of both records today from APE. I love the premium packaging but also appreciate that it's thin enough to still fit on my regular shelving and not be a massive box like some of the other special edition reissues I own. Haven't been able to give a listen yet but I will soon.

Vinylsoul 1965 likes this.
  8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The new ES is astoundingly good. :thumbsup:

The flat transfer on the CD sounds beautiful.

Togo, Jack and Vinylsoul 1965 like this.
  9. Vinylsoul 1965

I hate to give you the bad news but the new CD trumps all the other versions of ES. Maybe just order the CD? ;)

rstamberg likes this.
  10. Merrick

I do wish they had included a download card for hi-res, but I'll take the CD.

Plan9 and Vinylsoul 1965 like this.
  11. Vinylsoul 1965

The CDs from both sets were perfectly fine. This is a much better alternative to a CD in a small sleeve bouncing around in the box. I think the card stock was heavy enough - maybe a deeper slot would have helped.

12. Vinylsoul 1965

You will be SO happy you did. Haven't been this pleased about a record reissue on vinyl since the Beatles mono box.

13. Kym

Kym Former Resident

I'm very happy with these too!

I don't have these in front of me, but...
    • Having Todd Rundgren's name misspelled intermittently throughout Skylarking as "Tod Rundgren" makes you go, hmmm...
    • It looked like from the packshots online that the box and booklets are printed on textured paper, but disappointingly they aren't.
    • The lack of reissue credits in English Settlement was odd. I don't remember if Skylarking lacked reissue credits also.

14. Merrick

Finally getting a chance to throw on ES...

First thoughts are "feel that bass!" And "wow, this thing is incredibly crankable." I have the record on at what would be painful listening levels for almost any other record I own and it's still not as loud as I normally listen.

The music sounds fantastic. Tons of detail and space. The definitive version of this album to be sure.

Vinylsoul 1965 and Jack like this.
  15. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

What is the best way to order the CD-only here in the States, APE, or does it show up on Amazon eventually?

16. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Which title? This version of "Skylarking" has been available on CD for a couple of years.

17. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Nuts, I meant the new English Settlement. Thanks.

18. Vinylsoul 1965

19. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

20. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

Ordered the new APE CD of English Settlement via Amazon UK. I've only played it once but it sounds great to me...one of my favourite albums no question.

21. dthomas850

dthomas850 Forum Resident

Still waiting for my order from APE of English Settlement, it is taking forever, over 2 weeks now, I'm starting to get worried. Next time i'll just use importcds. My copy of Skylarking arrived in about 3 days.

22. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Bull Moose got it to me on release day.

23. Amazon was quick too.

24. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I ordered the CD.

25. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Hi, :help:

Who is selling this for the cheapest price, including shipping and handling, to the US?

English Settlement - deluxe double vinyl with CD
    Skylarking -deluxe double vinyl with CD

I understand APE has immense shipping fees.

Best recommendations appreciated!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.