The Monkees complete TV show on Blu-ray box set.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Sep 8, 2015.

1. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

Not fair since that takes Andrew's quote completely out of context. The concept of not "Frankensteining" on this blu-ray set was in reference to not altering the audio used for the music on the first run versions of the show. In other words, there weren't going to dub in the stereo mixes of the songs, or "correct" mistakes (like the wow in "This Just Doesn't Seem To Be My Day" in Royal Flush.)

The songs were going to be heard exactly as there were when NBC first ran the shows way back when. Aside from small EQ/mastering choices, what was on the mag track for the episodes was what we were going to hear, warts and all.

There was NO similar promise about alternate audio getting this same "purist" approach, as this did not fall under that brief.

2. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

I think this is good to point out, as I suspect it will be a slippery slope for some from "Frankensteining" to "well, what was stopping them from doing this for other Saturday rerun soundtracks." Which no doubt would have added months and thousands of dollars to the production costs.

I'm in the camp that agrees that the verbiage in the product description needed to be tweaked ASAP, same as the Cash and Campbell content. If it said "songs" rather than "episodes," the whole kerfluffle likely would have been avoided in this case.

3. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

Will have to see what Rhino are able to do for a UK customer with a damaged box - I don't want to have to pay another massive customs fee if they're able to send a replacement.

That aside, it's a great boxset. There are a few minor irritations (has anyone else notice the wrong alternative songs listed for 'Royal Flush' in the booklet?). Overall, though, a very good effort.

FJFP, Wingsfan2012 and CMcGeek like this.
  4. CMcGeek

CMcGeek Loves records maybe too much

How damaged is the box? If it's just the beige-colored inner lining that surrounds the discs, I understand they are replacing those easily.

I think this is the link where you let them know about it.
    Contact Us »

David Austin likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

How are they fixing the lenticular cover coming apart from the box?

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  6. empirelvr

My guess is use more glue, use a different type of glue, and let it dry completely before packing and shipping.

7. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

...and, hopefully, change the setting of whatever was cutting it so Micky isn't scratched again.

empirelvr likes this.
  8. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I just pressed mine back on and it's holding fine.

9. Mr. Webster the Poster

Mr. Webster the Poster Well-Known Member

Anyone hear anything new about the replacements? I contacted them a couple weeks ago like everyone else.

10. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Thank you! That settles it!

11. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Nothing yet. I'm sure it will take a little time to figure out what to do. I said Before that the early sets that got out and were damaged might be the "collectible" ones. Or not.

12. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I told you !!!

13. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I'll have to go back and check that interview out again. I thought the whole "no Frankensteining" remark had to do with not being able to sync the 1969 era redub songs into the remastered shows and having them fit correctly, unless they had the actual composite with the redubbed songs included. I took it as an explanation of why more of the Saturday morning soundtracks weren't included.

14. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

That was my interpretation, as well. But empirelvr may have been paying closer attention than I was!

15. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Exactly. The consensus on this thread (at the time) was there weren't going to be more alternate soundtracks because of things not fitting right.

Still, it's kind of amazing that the originally-announced ten alternate soundtracks got whittled down to two, and then one of those was edited incorrectly...

16. HELLOLARRY

HELLOLARRY Forum Resident

My understanding of the 'Frankensteining' of the re-run soundtracks was that unless they had an original print with how it aired, how it sounded, how it was possibly edited (music or video) they weren't going to cheat and create an alternate soundtrack clip. I'm happy with what they included but only wish they would have included the 10 episodes with alternate tracks as they originally promised. That wasn't a deal breaker for me though as I was more interested in the restoration of the original episodes as they originally aired. I'm glad they've since updated the information on the website. It's funny how some of the songs don't match the romp and I don't know how to exactly explain my feeling when I watch those redubs. It's just odd - interesting but odd.

17. HELLOLARRY

No no Mark....it's You Told Me. ;) All kidding aside - YES, that beat was always there.

MarkTheShark and CMcGeek like this.
  18. HELLOLARRY

What is the 'wow' in This Just Doesn't Seem to Be My Day?

Grand_Ennui and CMcGeek like this.
  19. CMcGeek

CMcGeek Loves records maybe too much

Regardless of the extras, somehow the restoration of this gave me the feels

20. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident

Got mine this morning after paying the £30+ duty - this is going to happen with items bought from Europe in a couple years too. I can probably live with the damage to the box; it'll probably cause more damage to take out the old and replace it with the new.

David Austin likes this.
  21. empirelvr

During the beach romp there is what sounds like an audio tape drag (as opposed to something connected with the film chain) during the song.

22. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Yeah and nothing new either on the orders placed the day of release or later. Looking like August 2016 at least at this point- "It hurts so bad, that when I see you I start crying".....lol

23. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I'd hope they'd put a far smaller price on just a box. I've just emailed them myself after picking mine up today and being disappointed in the torn aspect. £35 was nasty on top of £150.

David Austin likes this.
  24. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  25. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Any updates on the replacements of the box sets or the shipping out of current orders?