Are there any U.S. version of Beatles albums you prefer over UK?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NiceMrMustard, Jul 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I think the shorter running times are a benefit for most the US albums too. The irony is that those who prefer the UK albums cite that as a negative. Yet I've always been more of a "sweet and succinct" kind of guy (except when rambling on threads)...:uhhuh:

I actually think one of the things that slightly hinders the UK releases is that there is almost "too much" music. "A Hard Day's Night" is a perfect example. The US version is more "to the point" and is truly a soundtrack. The UK version feels more like just a "studio album" and the songs are more plentiful and kinda weigh the album down (in my opinion).

I understand that the band themselves preferred and sequenced the UK versions, yet I still find that the US releases, in most cases, work more efficiently.

2. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Who would do it? Universal?

They would just screw it up.

3. slane

slane Forum Resident

We had EPs too ;)

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

You might want to take Pepper of the list

5. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut Well-Known Member

I was going to say Rubber Soul and then someone mentioned If I Needed Someone not being there. I forgot about that.
    I bought that one on cd originally, because it had that song and the US vinyl didn't.
    That's the deal breaker for me.

6. jstger6969

jstger6969 Forum Resident

They could make them double albums for Stereo / Mono.
    Just wishful thinking. :hide:

7. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Meet The Beatles
    The Beatles Second Album
    Something New
    Help!
    Rubber Soul
    Hey Jude

And of course Magical Mystery Tour until it became official elsewhere.

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  8. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

But the US Pepper didn't have the inner groove noise. Maybe he prefers it

9. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

Rarities too for me. The artwork on the rest of the US albums is enough to put me off. Tho I do like the covers for Hey Jude and YAT which have no UK equivalent

wayneklein and Sidewinder43 like this.
  10. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

No way. My '80s US Wally cut is my go-to.

The lock groove nonsense was amusing the first time I heard it. After that, it has increasingly become an obnoxious spoiler for what could have been one of the most epic Pop album endings ever.

11. If I Can Dream_23

That's true. I do enjoy many of those. :)

slane likes this.
  12. The Absent-Minded Flaneur

The Absent-Minded Flaneur Forum Resident

Are you sure it's entirely accidental?

I take your point about the Help! leftovers. But there's a common belief that Capitol deliberately sequenced the US Rubber Soul to make it fit the fashionable folk rock sound. Indeed that's why I don't like the US version, much as I enjoy the alternative versions of I've Just Seen A Face and The Word. Overall it just sounds too much like a marketing man's attempt to homogenise the life out of the original album.

13. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Excellent points. But this proves how subjective music can be. IMO, "Drive My Car" and "What Goes On" are complete distractions on the UK album. Hell, even had "Day Tripper" and "We Can Work It Out" been included, those would have been distractions on the album.

Granted, leaving "Nowhere Man" and "If I Needed Someone" would have worked left as is on the US version, and some say that Capitol made a mistake there. To me, as it is, the Capitol sequencing really made a complete mood for the album, intentional or not.

Keith V and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

wayneklein likes this.
  15. If I Can Dream_23

I definitely agree. Probably a lot of the Capitol albums were accidental by nature (or, rather, geared more towards commercial appeal), yet in the end it's how the flow or mood of the album hits you. I much prefer the mellow feel of the US "Rubber Soul" and the two Help! songs help to highlight the original mellow gems such as Michelle, Norwegian Wood, In My Life. I never like my Rubber Soul to "rock". I like it mellow. As good as "Drive My Car" is, it seems out of place next to, say, Michelle.

I also agree that "If I Needed Someone" had been added, it would have been near perfect. As it is though, it still sounds more "thematic" than the UK version (to me).

16. agundy

agundy Forum Resident

Accidental or not, the US Rubber Soul flows perfectly, in my opinion. For what it's worth, I also prefer the US Revolver, but I think it's because that's the one I grew up listening to...

raveoned and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  17. If I Can Dream_23

Yeah, the US Revolver, despite missing a few John highlights, is still great (and I'm a Paul and George guy anyway so...) :)

Plus, I always felt that if you pick up "Yesterday & Today" and the US "Revolver", you pretty much have it covered anyways. Plus you get the added allure of playing and collecting "Yesterday & Today", which is sort of a distinct release all on its own.

raveoned likes this.
  18. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

My thoughts exactly.

19. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I love Twist and Shout, but only because I grew up with it, I guess.

20. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I grew up with Meet The Beatles and Rock & Roll Music Vol 2 (compilation) so I guess I'm used to a few of the U.S. sequences.

21. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

This is the only album were I thought Capitol got it right, only because the UK EP is missing some great songs due to them being released as singles.

I realize the early stuff was done for that very same reason to ad those great singles that weren't on their UK LPs, like "She Loves You", "I Want To Hold Your Hand" etc...., but why change the albums covers and titles???? We sure found out why, so that they could short change you with 11-12 songs and make you buy more albums...

starduster likes this.
  22. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Actually, to me, playing the three US albums (Rubber Soul, "Yesterday" & Today, Revolver), is actually a nice transition of sound up to Pepper.

You get the mellow folk sound, then that combined with the increase in experimentation, then end it with "Tomorrow Never Knows". That is one heck of a ride over three albums!

23. If I Can Dream_23

Well said. I always throw in the fabulous "Paperback Writer / Rain" 45 too - in between Yesterday & Today and Revolver.

raveoned likes this.
  24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Yesterday and Today is my favorite rock LP
    I prefer US version of Rubber Soule
    I prefer Meet the Beatles to WtB
    I prefer 2nd Album to any of their pre AHDN UK releases.

raveoned and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  25. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Ha! I'll do that as well, as it bridges the mellow sound with a harder edge that's to come as well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.