Steven Tyler is #1 on the country charts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BobGilly, Jul 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

thats funny. STP appears on this album

Kermit27 likes this.
  2. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

So Rock is alive and well in Country.

segue likes this.
  3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I'm looking forward to many more Steven Tyler songs that name-check cornbread.

4. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I admire Steve for tryin'

I heard much of the album while in a record store last week, and there are some really bad songs there.

When I got there he was singing (reciting?) something about cornbread and black-eyed peas....I almost ran out of the store but I just got there and it was a long trip.

6. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Agreed!

7. Lownote30

It's not about the money. Do you really think Tyler needs more money? It's about exploration for him. Who knows what he'll do next.

8. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

That's country my ass...

9. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I agree that it's probably not about money but rather the desire to keep a high profile in the industry. He probably wants to continue being a currently successful, chart-topping artist for as long as possible. He wants to show that he's still in the game.

10. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I'm happy. Chart toppers that anger the 'I don't like it so it sucks' crowd is always a bonus.

11. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

My only point really was people's continued confusion with respect to album charts.

It is only based on sales - that is how the album got to #1.

The comments that keep coming about it being payola and politics is related to airplay are just wrong.

12. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

:laugh:

Lownote30 likes this.
  13. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

:laugh:

the Big Machine made it happen

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    jon9091 likes this.
  14. Lownote30

Ummm. Payola still plays a big role in things in the industry. It may not come in the form of cash, but radio stations still get special treatment if they play certain stuff. Sony is one of the big three. They can give away a bunch of Playstations if they want something to be on the radio.

jon9091 likes this.
  15. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Good. Keeps him off the rock charts. I have never been able to stand Aerosmith.

16. jon9091

Yeah...how did he get any airplay on a country station in the first place??? :righton:
    Just by puttin on that hat and sayin..."I'm country now!"

Lownote30 likes this.
  17. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

There are rock charts?

18. Lownote30

Partly because country isn't country anymore. It's 10 year old rock/pop with twangy lyrics. Also, Tyler (in the case of this record) is affiliated with one of the most ruthless labels out there... Big Machine. I can't go into details about what I know about them, but the way they do business isn't cool in any way at all.

19. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Ummm never said payola doesn't play a part in the industry. My only comment was about the album charts.

It just doesn't play a part in album sales and that is how chart position is determined.

And since it only sold 17,000 copies, there is no conspiracy to get it to #1.

starduster likes this.
  20. Lownote30

Album charts go by pre-sales of an album. That's how something can debut at #1. That can be manipulated through underhanded marketing and hype techniques. These techniques will create HUGE pre-sale numbers which propel something high up on the album chart before it's even gotten to one customer. The hype will get a lot of pre-sales, but a lot of the people who ordered it may not like it and sell it, or if downloaded, delete it. People are programmed to buy what they're told is great (even if it's terrible).

21. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I quite like the vibe on the CD. My wife and sister -in-law both enjoyed the ride as well and I have assumed that Steven hit the mark with what he has accomplished in new rock with mandolins ETC and Nashville production. If he cared about the sales he would be sunk.

22. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

LOL...you know what I meant.

23. jon9091

The singles preceded the release of the album. That means they got air play first......somehow.

melstapler likes this.
  24. Why? cornbread and black-eyed peas are delicious together.

25. I suspect you're correct that Tyler isn't in it just for the money, but there are people who will do almost anything for more money no matter how much they may already have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.