Poll: 'Legend' album by Bob Marley and the Wailers in your collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AdamCalifornia, Jul 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

It's one of many Bob Marley and the Wailers albums that I own.

2. Adamski777

Adamski777 Forum Resident

Legend is probably one of (if not) the best greatest hits compilations ever released. However, there are so many deep cuts on the albums that I don't have Legend and stick to the albums.

However, the tape of Legend that my dad used to play a lot in the car (when not listening to Glen Campbell) was my entry to the Wailers (not just Bob, but lots of Peter Tosh and Bunny solo albums).

3. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I have Legend, all of the original Island albums on vinyl, the Diament remasters on CD, and all the deluxe editions that have been issued. Also have African Herbsman, and a couple of pre-Island comps. Can't claim to have all officially recorded BMW music, but I got a lot.

4. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Many have mentioned Songs Of Freedom, and how they prefer it or have it instead. One cool thing about that set is that it (on purpose or by coincident) is constructed as a complement to Legend, since all those songs, except "Get Up, Stand Up", appear in different versions. It is a fantastic set, very well selected (not so good annotated though, there are plenty of mistakes in te booklet).

B.t.w., I decided to change my vote to the first alternative, I guess I took it too literally, and when I think about it I think I have every officially released song (I just don't have every mix/version) so that alternative is closest to reality.

Stone Turntable and ianuaditis like this.
  5. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yes, I have a German pressing of Legend, plus a sleeve of Legend with no LP inside.

I also have a CD, the deluxe CD with the extra disc and several other CD variants of the set.

I bought the 5.1 Blu-Ray Audio.

Besides that I have some of the original studio LPs and the recent box set of the lot.

I also have several of the African Herbsman-type LPs.

6. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

I have Legend, and it's great, but I rarely listen to it. The Upsetter era and the era between Upsetter and Island is the peak for me. Some fabulous, fabulous music there.

The Island stuff is great too, it's just not my preference.

7. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I had Legend, but I gave it away in high school after buying most of the other Island albums. I also have like 3 or 4 compilations featuring the late 60s/Early 70s material with Tosh and Bunny as well as the Songs of Freedom set. Burnin is my favorite as it combines the Wailers sound with high production values. For the "Bob Marley and the Wailers" era my favorites are Survival and Babylon by Bus. Confrontation is the one album I could never get into, otherwise I like the whole catalog.

8. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

¨Legend¨and live DVDs.

9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I used to own it on vinyl (still might). I haven't listened to it in years; heard it way too much when I worked at the record store.

10. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

2 copies of Legend on CD (one a BD remaster.) Natty Dread CD & 80s LP reissue of African Herbsman, which is a collection of pre-Catch A Fire songs.

Not all that much but I have owned more and do pick things up when I see them, so this will be far from it...

11. The Transformer

The Transformer Active Member

I've got Legend, Burnin', and Exodus.

12. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

Interestingly Island released the Rebel Music comp to rectify the fact that Legend really was not a great representation of Marley's material.

ianuaditis likes this.
  13. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

When it came out I already had all of the Island records, so didn't get around to buying it until the late '80s. Still have that CD plus now have 3 LP versions including the 30th anniversary. I have the 5.1 blu ray and the deluxe CD. I opted to vote for the second choice because I doubt even anyone in the Marley family has the first.

14. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

MFSL Exodus cd in mine. That's it.

15. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

Got the back to black vinyl. Maybe mine's a bad one but it sounds pretty lifeless. It's also very quiet and requires volume at 19 on my system whereas all other LPs are around 11/12 for the same output. Side two sounds better than side one. The redeeming feature (horrified to say) is the download which sounds miles better.

16. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I have no Bob Marley, but I have three Peter Tosh albums.

I have no need to own any Bob Marley as his music is forced down my ears pretty regularly. Even when it's a song of his I like, I will hear it accidentally as often as I need to.

17. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Legend was the first CD I purchased. It got stolen and I purchased the DVD version instead, but figured that was close enough so I said I had it, along with some of his other music.

18. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident

Purchased the cassette in Spain in 1984 whilst on my first holiday abroad, then the CD in the 90s, then the vinyl last year.

The running time of the vinyl is crazy.. Well over an hour, but still manages to add sound pretty good.

19. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I found a Diament Legend at Half Price Books for $3.99 this week. :)

wrappedinsky likes this.
  20. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

That's what I have too and the 4CD box, Songs of Freedom. No Legend, though.

21. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

No 'Legend' album, but a lot of of their other music

Had it many years ago on vinyl, wish
    i'd kept it for the Buffalo Soldier Discomix!

22. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Only 'Legend' for me...
    I don't like reggae... I love it-ah! etc. :rolleyes:

Pathfinderpat likes this.
  23. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Have these songs been forced down your ears regularly?: "Trenchtown Rock", "Slave Driver", "No More Trouble", "Concrete Jungle", "Rastaman Chant", "Burnin' and Lootin'", "Lively Up Yourself", "Who the Cap Fit", "Jah Live", "Crazy Baldheads", "War", "Johnny Was", "Rat Race", "Natural Mystic", "Running Away", "Keep on Moving", "Easy Skanking", "Smile Jamaica", "Time Will Tell", "Africa Unite", "Survival" , "One Drop", "Zimbabwe", "So Much Trouble in the World", "Ride Natty Ride" , "Babylon System" , "Coming in from the Cold" , "Real Situation", "Bad Card", "Forever Loving Jah", "Blackman Redemption", "Rastaman Live Up"? If not, then you don't really know Bob Marley.

ianuaditis and paradox55 like this.
  24. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

That's how I feel about the beatles and Led Zeppelin.:agree:

25. SteveMac

SteveMac Forum Resident

I actually like the one that says "I love reggae; it's a great song!"

Actually, I don't care for reggae; bores me to tears.

DirkGentlyUK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.