XLR for Phono to Preamp...?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by VinBob, Jul 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello All,

Since the purchase of a new phono stage, I have the ability to use XLR output to my preamp which also has the ability for input. There are way too many XLR options out there and I wanted to get something solid and neutral without spending silly money!

Can anyone recommend anything between the $100-$200 mark or am I spending way too much even at those prices?! I have read a lot about the fact that XLR cables don't need to be that fancy (compared to unbalanced) and as long as its a solid cable with good Neutrik connections, one should be all good...

Appreciate any feedback/recommendations as I want to go down the XLR route but again, not spend more than I really need to...

Cheers,
    Vin.

2. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

VinylRob and BigGame like this.
  3. VinBob

Dennis0675 likes this.
  4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

5. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

If you are looking for a value pricing (or for that matter at any level, and unless you have money to throw away, and who does?), why purchase a new cable? The huge plus to a used cable, besides price, is someone else has likely put some serious hours of play on it and you also get to avoid most of the burn-in cycle. Additionally, if you find you are not crazy about your choice, sell it for about the same price and move on.

Hi Fi Interconnect Cables available at The Cable Company »

US Audio Mart America's Newest Online Hifi, Audio & Home Theater Classifieds »

Search Results for xlr | Audiogon »

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    Dennis0675 likes this.
  6. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Dennis0675 likes this.
  7. VinBob

Thanks and have been looking in those places but like everywhere else, too many to choose from! I am looking for some advice what to go with that will be decent enough for my setup. I don't really want to get into multiple cables and then having to sell and move onto the next. Just want to buy one that will be really good (for the money!) and just call it a day...

8. VinBob

So this may be the one to go with!? :D

Dennis0675 likes this.
  9. VinBob

I wonder why they are now so cheap...?

10. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

They have been running that deal for at least 6 months. I bought a longer length they didn't have in stock and they gave me a longer one at the same cost. I don't know that I buy into the science behind the battery back that is on the cable but I certainly hear an improvement over the cables they replaced.

11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Generally when they cut prices like that the line is being discontinued. Audioquest has a ridiculous number of different cables, they could stand to lose a few.

12. VinBob

Thanks. I am seriously considering this one - after all, I use the AQ Rocket 88 speaker cable which I love and was able to get a good deal on that through a friend.

VinylRob and Dennis0675 like this.
  13. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I also have the Rocket 88 and I like it quite a bit as well. It was a leftover length from a custom job the shop did on a home install and it doesn't have the battery pack. When they added the spades to the amp end they f'd up and connected the wire that was for the battery pack and it blew a channel on my amp. It took me a very long time to trouble shoot that issue. But in doing so I ran several different speaker wires and the Rocket 88 was much much better.

14. VinBob

Ouch! - Sorry to hear... Well, I do appreciate the endorsement on the Columbia cable.

I am also looking at the SignalCable option you recommended as its a great price and having spend a lot of hard earned cash on my phono stage, I think I may just go with those for now. I just spoke to Frank over at Signal Cable whom I would assume is the owner (really nice guy!) and based on my system, he recommended the cheaper Analogue Two Balanced cables, as the copper based cable will work better in my system given the amp and speakers used. I really liked what he had to say and the product does look solid. But will still think on this for a little while before making a final decision...

Dennis0675 likes this.
  15. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It's a great company to support. I'm running three of his power cables and they made an impact on everything I used them with. At $75 each, it's a great value.

16. VinBob

And I just came across this guy too which I have also read good things about... Aaaarrggh... choices..choices... lol

XLR Interconnects »

17. VinBob

Thanks again for the endorsement. I ended up going with the Analog Two Balanced Signal Cable - like you said, always good to support the little guys and he was a pleasure to speak with and certainly knew his stuff - not to mention, the price is right too as I don't think one needs to go too crazy with XLRs!

Which power cables are you using? I don't see a $75 option unless I am looking at the wrong thing? I may go with his digital based power cable for my CD player next...

Dennis0675 likes this.
  18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Just the standard 15a version in the shortest length he has. MagicPower »

I run another one (from a different company) that retails for about $350 and I cant say that it is any better than the one from Signal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.