PREACHER from AMC - The Next Biggest thing on TV?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by EVOLVIST, Nov 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

I enjoyed episode 1 but could take or leave the next few - glad I stuck with it as I really enjoyed episodes 6 though 8, something clicked and I'll stay with it now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2016
    EVOLVIST and vince like this.
  2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I agree.... something about it is making me stick around, too!

PhilJol likes this.
  3. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

The most brutal episode of Preacher yet as it heads down the final stretch. It could have used a little trimming at the end, but otherwise it was perfect pitch.

Jesus! What both the sheriff and the church organist did!!! Nobody is innocent.

The show has been getting a steady uptick in viewership as the weeks go by, too.

Preacher is paying off.

ex_mixer likes this.
  4. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

....Certainly is. Last nights episode almost contained TOO much info, absolutely needs to be watched twice (at least!). I can't help but continue to compare it to Outcast, and it's leaving it in the dust. The last episode of Outcast was practically the polar opposite of Preacher, really, REALLY slow and barely advanced the plot at all.

BTW, did anyone else notice that the location the 2 'angels' got picked up at for their trip to Hell, was a location from Breaking Bad? (I read something about it being a quasi-homage as the scene showed a dog crossing exactly like in BB!). Sooo.....the nerd in me has to ask, is Preacher and Breaking Bad occupying the same 'universe'!?;)

5. EVOLVIST

Yes, I certainly did! I pointed it out to my wife right away, and she just looked at me funny. I had to wait until the commercial to explain that the location was where Saul & Walt got picked up...and Pinkman was supposed to, but he bailed in the end.

I'm not sure if they occupy the same universe, unless we see like Skinny Pete in Hell or something, but Sam Catlin was a writer for Breaking Bad, so it was a helluva great shout out.

vince likes this.
  6. PhilJol

PhilJol Forum Resident

this week was the best episode imo

they made the mayor such a sleazy wimp and I will not miss him, also hell was well done with the blurring together of the timelines.

7. vince

Cutest.... Reference.... EVER!!!

8. vince

Here's "Preacher" at Comic-con:

EVOLVIST likes this.
  9. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

You would think as long as they are in Hell, the 2 'angels' could find Eugene.
    But since they are there to get an eternal badass to go kill the Preacher, I suppose that would be far from their agenda, unless of course having Eugene for bait is part of their plan...

10. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Wow. I thought something seemed familiar.
    This show is better than the comic (IMO), I downloaded in PDF and read the first three issues. I can see why it was popular hut on the other hand it embodies a lot of annoying '90s comix traits that really just kind of annoy me, I'm more of a Daniel Clowes, Art Spiegelman's Raw, R. Crumb or Charles Burns type comic fan. Some of the crazy '90s stuff seems cool (their was a crazy, surreal Canadian series that was great -can't recall the name other than I remember Frankenstein was somehow a character..) but a lot of the stuff from that era lacks interesting weight to the writing and served mostly as vehicles to showcase whatever repulsive or shocking thought that pops into the mind of the burgeoning writer/artist -not always bad, but more often than not very tiresome and ultimately cliched.
    It was hard for me to get past the first page or two, but in the end I give it a pass for the audacious story basics.
    The show rocks.

11. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

I agree, to a Point and like Preacher a bit better than Outcast now, although it is hard to compare, because Preacher is a violent comic adaption not to be taken seriously (at all) and Outcast seems to aim more for the drama and is not meant to be funny at all ......

EVOLVIST and Upinsmoke like this.
  12. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

YUMMY FUR
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] by Chester Brown
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2016
    EVOLVIST likes this.
  13. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Both are great shows but not really ones you can compare outside if you enjoy or not. Apples to oranges

14. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

What is actually great about Outcast? I read up on it a bit and decided nay to watch -why should I?...

15. EVOLVIST

Hmmm...Perhaps you have to understand the context of when Preacher came out and who it was writing. Garth Ennis, along with James Robinson, were the last of the British Invasion writers to get their own books. Garth got one way late, in 1995, with Preacher, compared to his peers, Alan Moore, Neil Gaimen and Grant Morrison. Ennis' writing was popular on Hellblazer, so many comics fans had a keen interest in Preacher, simply because many at the time, including myself, wanted to see Ennis get a crack at his own property. So, yes, the '90s, and all that you say, but it was really the end of an era, and all that went along with Garth Ennis making Preacher the gold standard for what was to come in the industry. Most everyone felt that Preacher paid off, much the same way that James Robinson paid off with his Starman reboot (he made an existing property seem like a creator owned series).

So, yeah, there was a lot of crap comics in the '90s, as you say; it's just that Preacher was a deserved high water mark. I can understand, though, why people would think the show is better than the comic.

Me, I appreciate some backstory that never appeared in the comic because of the show. It's only that Season 2 of Preacher should really take off like the comic did.

ubiknik likes this.
  16. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Some things are just hard for me to get into at first, I also am kind of a snob for strong synergy between writing and visuals. That said I am warming to the comic, I knew people who were into Hellblazer, but if you look at Yummy Fur as an example of stuff that I liked back then, you kind of see where I approach it from, that work has a very unbridled, very surreal yet organic approach that appeals to me. I also really like the Preacher world for most of the same reasons, so ultimately I will more than likely enjoy the comic.
    I did find it interesting how the comic begins with things mostly in the past tense seen as conversation about what had already happened.

17. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears Forum Resident

No, Ennis was not the peer of Moore, Morrison, et al, he is much younger than them and was VERY young when he began Preacher, so, no, he was not "late" or the "last" of the "British Invasion," but just a guy doing his own thing in his own time

18. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I went into this show EXTREMELY skeptical. Mainly just to give the wife and I another show to enjoy together. She is more a fan of this style of show than I am.

I am glad I chose to give it a chance. We have really enjoyed it.

Diamond Dog, Scope J and EVOLVIST like this.
  19. EVOLVIST

I totally disagree. Completely.

Garth Ennis was writing for Crisis, Judge Dredd mag, and 2000AD, concurrent to his run on Hellblazer. He was identified at the time as a part of the British Invasion, who were still keeping Vertigo afloat. Vertigo was pretty much your only spot to get non-mainstream, mainstream stuff.

Ennis is only 10 years younger than both Morrison and Gaimen, which is still well within a 10 year generation spot.

That British Invasion really had nothing to do with age, though. I maintain that Ennis and Robinson were the last push. Indeed, Sandman started in 1989, just a year and change before Ennis started writing Hellblazer, and was still running when Ennis started Preacher.

If we go by what appears to be your logic then we'd have to throw out Gaimen and Morrison, too, since Arkham Asylum (when Morrison struck gold) didn't come out until 1989, along with Doom Patrol, with Animal Man in 1988.

20. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

well, the season finale of Preacher was quite a trip. The god imposter bit was brilliant! "What did you do with the dinosaurs?". So much to discuss but I guess Annville is no mas? Road trip?

vince likes this.
  21. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Pretty wild ride !

vince likes this.
  22. vince

I agree.... though, I missed the first 15 mins.
    I hope the two english guys are still around!
    I'll 'On-Demand' it later today... started 'nodding off' during "Talking Preacher", so I'll watch that again, too.

23. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

So, did the Emily character played by the beautiful Lucy Griffiths get blown to smithereens? I will be bummed if she is not on the show going forward.

24. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Not 100% sure, but based on that last scene with Susan the Archangel, they seem to be setting up that when the cowboy from Hell shoots somebody, they stay dead even if they are an angel. This could mean that we are down to just Fiore and no DeBlanc. Maybe I'm wrong and Susan will pop up at the beginning of season 2, but otherwise I don't know the point of that scene.

EVOLVIST and vince like this.
  25. EVOLVIST

No, you're right. Once the Saint of Killers kills you, you stay dead.

Now that the town is out of the way I expect a much faster pace...and an even wilder ride!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.