Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Welcome back, Tony. Best of luck with the health issues, hope you'll be 100% ok as soon as possible

:wave:

pscreed and TonyACT like this.
  2. Lije Baley

Lije Baley Forum Resident

I hope all is well now, Tony.

I've been able to look at the disc list for the new Vivarte box on Amazon (it would be good if Amazon would name the composition being performed). The list includes a great number of discs performed by the Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra, making it a less desirable collection for those who already have the complete TBO box. Similarly, the DG Legendary Performances Vol. 2 box details are still scarce, but the pictures of it show several discs released in the DG 111 collection. Duplications may abound, for those who have the DG 111 collections already. Decisions, decisions...

TonyACT likes this.
  3. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

They have the unofficial Karajan 140 odd CD 1938-1960 box at my local 2nd-hand store. Has anyone here heard it? If so - how is the sound? I know it's old and historic and all that; which I'm fine with - I'm just curious about the quality of the transfers. I have no problems with all the Toscanini I have but those have been remastered.

4. Malamute Dad

Malamute Dad Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    Daedalus and jsb! like this.
  5. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Anyone here have either/both the DG Leonard Bernstein Collection volumes? I've been considering them for a while & hope someone will give me a push. I've seen both for about $150 each (Australian; that's around $115 US/£85) lately, which seems a pretty good bargain, but I'm interested in people's thoughts.

6. Ben in Colorado

Ben in Colorado Forum Resident

mdekoning likes this.
  7. ssstand

ssstand Forum Resident

I have been thinking about those myself. I prefer Bernstein's Columbia/NYPO output for the most part, and I have both of the boxes Sony has released covering that. I have several of the single-composer boxes DG put out gathering Bernstein's work (e.g., Sibelius), but I thought the two comprehensive boxes were too expensive. Now that they are coming down in price, however . . . .

jsb! likes this.
  8. ssstand

ssstand Forum Resident

And TonyACT, welcome back! I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling better. You were missed.

TonyACT likes this.
  9. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Cheers, and thanks everyone for the positive thoughts - very much appreciated.

Daedalus likes this.
  10. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

Published yesterday by DG a video on Youtube marketing the new The Originals Vol 2:

crispi, Daedalus, George C. and 2 others like this.
  11. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

12. ek1psu

ek1psu Forum Resident

Happy to see that this thread is back on the Music Corner board. Thanks to all (including Gorts) that made that happen.
    :pineapple:

crispi, pscreed, clint1976 and 5 others like this.
  13. zen

zen Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Recently got the 52 disc Emerson String Quartet box-set for a crazy good price via German Amazon (and released earlier than the USAmazon)....but the protective packaging was sub par at best. The bottom right corner of the box set is slightly crushed, but the important stuff inside looks-sounds great. A little padding would have been nice, Germany.

crispi and TonyACT like this.
  14. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector Thread Starter

Yes, thanks!!!!!

pscreed, clint1976 and TonyACT like this.
  15. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

You're welcome - and thanks mods ;)

And yes, it has more visibility here so more people will be able to share our obsession.

pscreed, Daedalus and ek1psu like this.
  16. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I missed this thread while it was off-board. Now watching in case it gets shuffled again.

TonyACT likes this.
  17. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

18. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Still interested in people's thoughts on the DG Leonard Bernstein boxes, but in the meantime...

Got some money from my in-laws for my birthday recently, to spend as I wished, so I used a bunch of it to buy the (67-disc) Pierre Boulez Complete Columbia Album Collection, which is currently en route from Amazon France (my first order from there). It will join:

Pierre Boulez: 20th Century
    Boulez: The Complete Erato Recordings
    Boulez: Le Domaine Musical 1956-1967

In my boxset collection. I guess you could say I'm a fan... (Still have to get his Mahler box, but that's a relatively little one.)

TonyACT likes this.
  19. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Did you make it a condition of your return to this forum that this thread be returned to its rightful place?

TonyACT, dajokr, ssstand and 2 others like this.
  20. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector Thread Starter

I have the DG Bernstein boxes, and I enjoy them quite a bit. I like his approach in the later years (which is not to say that I don't enjoy the earlier ones). The Mahler and Haydn, in particular, are stellar. You also get a good deal of his own music, which may or may not be a draw for you. Plus, you get "original jackets", which is not the case with the Sony sets.

TonyACT and jsb! like this.
  21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Any comments on sound quality on this Sviatoslav Richter Warner Box? It is 24 CD from Korea. It has original LP contents, and some or most (all?) is on the "ICONS" box. Is this new sound remaster. It does include non-Richter stuff that was on some of the LPs, and not in the ICONS box. Does it include any Richter not on the ICONS box?

[​IMG]

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

See here and a couple of later posts: Classical Corner - Classical Music Corner »

23. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Ugh! Had to go for it, despite having a number of the included titles already. For anyone interested, price to the US drops to 36.95 Euro with 7.74 Euro shipping and handling (please pack it properly Amazon DE!) for a total price of 44.69 Euro, or $49.90 according to xe.com. So, less than $1 a disc.

If only I could buy time to listen to everything! :)

TonyACT likes this.
  24. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Thanks for the reply. That all sounds good... I suspect these boxes (or one of them, at least) will be my next big purchase. Part of the trouble is that I can't decide which one I want first... They each have a few big draws (including all his own compositions in the first one, yes).

Anyway, thanks. I'll keep my eye on prices...

TonyACT likes this.
  25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Years ago, when I could not decide between two albums, I bought them both. Now, I try to buy neither.