Got Jerry Garcia solo anyone?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daedalus, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

That's a GREAT set, really great.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  2. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident

Jerry just kills it on this Legion of Mary version of "Wicked Messenger"! Always gets a repeat or 2 during the first disc.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  3. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

[​IMG]

This is a cool compilation I found cheap at a record show a few years back. Great packaging. All cuts released except "I Second That Emotion," which was recorded for a live KSAN broadcast at the Record Plant, Sausalito, CA on July 8, 1973.

Dennis0675, rstamberg and Crispy Rob like this.
  4. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

What do you think my chances of getting the "Days Between" (8/1-9) off of work based on religious grounds are?
    Music is about as close as I come to religion....

5. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

That was the first Jerry solo release I heard, some ten years ago. Played it a lot back then and it's still a favorite

rstamberg and LUNACHUCK like this.
  6. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

These GD/JGB back to back runs may have been close to that. Well, the Feb shows have a couple of weeks break in between.... Lots of GD and JGB shows in 1994....

Feb 4,5,6 - Warfield - JGB
    Feb 25,26,27 - Oakland - Grateful Dead

Mar 4,5,6 - Phoenix - Grateful Dead
    Mar 9 - Warfield - JGB

GoodKitty, laf848 and Dennis0675 like this.
  7. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

It is funny you bring this up, searching for something I ran across this. http://yorkspace.library.yorku.ca/x...27664/Kaler_Michael_J_2014_PhD.pdf?sequence=2

I did not read all 278 pages but perhaps you could present this to your boss. I wonder how it would hold up to scrutiny over on the Grateful Thread.

budwhite and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  8. Billy_Sunday

Good stuff indeed! I was at most of those shows and have nice audience recordings, which do circulate.... if you know where to look...

GoodKitty and Daedalus like this.
  9. Billy_Sunday

There was no official taping at JGB shows. Most of the time, if you got your stuff inside, it was all good. Every one in a while, venue staff, or band security, would look for tapers and shut them down. 5/22/91 is one such show. It is one of the only, if not the only JGB show from the 90's that does not circulate. No audience recording is known to have been made, or exist. It was an excellent show (I was there!) and Jerry was absolutely having a great time. Debra was in the wings, and many "love songs" were played:

5/22/91 Warfield Theater, San Francisco, CA
    I: How Sweet It Is, He Ain't Give You None, That's What Love Will Make You Do, Second That Emotion, Like A Road, My Sisters And Brothers, Let's Spend The Night Together
    II: The Way You Do The Things You Do, You Never Can Tell, See What Love Can Do, Waiting For A Miracle, When The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game, Tore Up Over You, Everybody Needs Somebody

For me, this is kind of a "holy grail" show/recording. And, I'm not alone. Maybe one day it will see an official release, that would be awesome. They also played Love In The Afternoon, but it isn't in the above setlist.

GoodKitty, Daedalus and LUNACHUCK like this.
  10. Billy_Sunday

Off the top of my head...

They Love Each Other
    Deal
    Knockin On Heavens Door
    Let It Rock (was played by the Dead a few times I believe)

I'm sure there are more....

GoodKitty and LUNACHUCK like this.
  11. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

The last PureJerry, vol. 9, came and went and I never knew about it until much later when it was OOP.

I ended up paying $175 for the 2 cd set in Ebay years later in New condition.

These GarciaLive releases are very cheap, get them all now while you can. They really are priced to sell.

LUNACHUCK likes this.
  12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That's a great setlist. I saw JGB do See What Love Can Do at the Eel later that summer, really liked their cover of that one. I didn't get a chance to see JGB at the Warfield until early '93 (but made up for it in spades over the remaining years).

LUNACHUCK likes this.
  13. DrLunchbox

bmoregnr and LUNACHUCK like this.
  14. Billy_Sunday

Of course, Bobby was sitting in, otherwise JGB would likely never have played Watchtower.

GoodKitty likes this.
  15. highway

highway Forum Resident

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    rstamberg and LUNACHUCK like this.
  16. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident

It appears so.....but still well worth $36 as it seems it's OPP. As stated before, it's a really fine set of these shows with unreleased tracks. Mine took about 11 days to ship so here's hoping they do have a source for these, beyond the one they dug up for me! ;)

ETA: @highway i just went and checked the price on the one I ordered and I previously stated $29 incorrectly! The price hasn't changed, I too paid $36. So my apologies....but again, this is a great little box! :)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    rstamberg and highway like this.
  17. highway

highway Forum Resident

ETA: @highway i just went and checked the price on the one I ordered and I previously stated $29 incorrectly! The price hasn't changed, I too paid $36. So my apologies....but again, this is a great little box! :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks again!

18. DrLunchbox

That's still a steal for that set. $9/disc ain't bad.

LUNACHUCK likes this.
  19. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

That is an Amazing compilation! Garcia was the best interpreter of Dylan by far.

highway, Jason Tenney and Dennis0675 like this.
  20. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

And another "Days Between" is rapidly approaching as we do another rotation on this big globe of ours.

21. budwhite

Totally!

Summer of '77 right now. The Dead canceled their tour and Jerry went out instead

[​IMG]

22. budwhite

Next stop: After midnight 1980. Yes, the great multitrack recording and mixes help but everything else is just exactly right, the tempo, the groove, the playing and Jerry's voice/singing. And what a setlist.

Take Sugaree for example. It stands on it's own. I don't think about Lesh and Weir when listening to it. It just flows and it got Jerry and that is alright by me

laf848, ssmith3046 and Crispy Rob like this.
  23. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Jerry Garcia, John Kahn, Bill Kruetzman & Merl Saunders
    Pacific High Studio, San Francisco, CA
    February 6, 1972

Source: FM > ? >dat

budwhite, Crispy Rob and Dennis0675 like this.
  24. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

damn, how long is a typical dissertation? is yours the book in your signature?

On the other hand, I feel like I could write 278 pages just on the 67-70 period, especially if 'close reading' of performances is fair game.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  25. Billy_Sunday

That Eel River show was awesome.... me and my buddy got some drops that day, the guy said "1 is enough, you guys" but we were like "2, please" and he said "are you sure" and we said "yes." One of the more intense trips of my life.... I can still close my eyes and see that tie-dye tapestry waving behind the stage, Jerry morphing in and out of it....

https://ixquick-proxy.com/do/spg/sh...455556670&sp=781c4930872a48d8f21548c19943020d

GoodKitty, Crispy Rob and Olompali like this.