The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

I'm going.
    Yay for me!

2. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Up to the second set of 12/30/90, Oakland, for 5 days now and I can't bring myself to get through it yet.

I'm on one of my annual Iron Maiden kicks and that's all I've been hearing pretty much for the last week. :p

3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

That's all I ever listen to anyway. Or in the case of '74, the middle 24 minutes.

4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

NorCal, Erik B., US Blues and 3 others like this.
  5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Oh man, you GOTTA give us some stories now...

budwhite, NorCal, Erik B. and 2 others like this.
  6. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

OK here's one. I went to the shows with a fifth of Jack, a quarter ounce of psilocybin and exactly one dollar in cash. I looked like Pigpen by the end of the weekend. Either our Pig or the one from Peanuts or both.

Initially the Ventura runs were only Saturday and Sunday. Those Friday nights were completely off the rails. That year we had a girl take too much acid and spent Friday night running through people's campsites screaming her head off, and completely naked. Beautiful girl, too, so she got a lot of attention. But if anyone got near her she attacked them viciously. Drew blood on a couple of guys. Saw her at the Saturday show and she seemed fine. That evening, though? An encore performance, with most keeping a safe distance.

I had a half dozen frat-heads from Hobart College (NY, I think?) along for the weekend too, and they were a real kick in the pants. Most of those stories are NSFW, and would be gorted in record time, so...

7. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident

Some post Egypt goodness tonight from one of my favorite RT sets. Of course I too would have liked a full release of these, I still find this really enjoyable. The bonus disc rounds this run out perfectly!

[​IMG]

Nice excerpt I read today from "Garcia: An American Life" by Blair Jackson. I'm currently slowly making my way through this great book after neglecting it for for awhile in favor of newer and more hyped (in my days) reads.

8. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Mickey always said they were in the transportation business. Bands these days don't offer this valuable service.

ianuaditis, NorCal, Erik B. and 3 others like this.
  9. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Matthew Tate and Crispy Rob like this.
  10. Planning to spend some time with 7-31-74, Dillon Stadium,'Hartford, nearly 4 hours of music! BUT ..... Trouble getting there because I am currently addicted to the China Cat/Rider it contains - wow, those Phil bass lines and a 90 second Feeling Groovy side-trip!

Is this on a release? If not, sounds like a candidate.

11. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Grateful Dead Family Discography: Dave's Picks Volume 2 »

Paperback Writer likes this.
  12. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I wonder what made them think to offer this pocket mirror? :shh: this is from my collection.

[​IMG]

NorCal, US Blues, bmoregnr and 7 others like this.
  13. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Driving That Train...

14. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

while not as exciting as other shows from that week or the previous month it has nice expanses in it especially the thirty minute segment on disc three

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Paperback Writer likes this.
  15. ducksdeluxe

But disc 2 is an unfocused mess.

16. Thanks for the heads up!

LUNACHUCK likes this.
  17. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident

It may be shakey in spots but I really enjoy that 3 disc set quite a bit. DaP 1 through 4 don't get much love, and I'm aware of the problems listed by detractors, but I always find myself smiling, grooving and enjoying them. I guess it's just that with so many shows and releases some are bound to suffer by comparison. I'm also quite sure you'll find that even the folks who dislike them the most, won't offer to pass them along for a reasonable price. :)

Could it be these "charged" crystals my girl in Marin, Ca is sending me have turned my into all rainbows and unicorns? I have to admit, chemo and radiation haven't been nearly as bad since they arrived. Placebo or not I'll take it!

@wavethatflag I may need some lessons! I'm slipping toward "heady brah" status! ;)

[​IMG]

18. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident

Buckled in for Latvala's 18th!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  19. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

My replacement copy said to be in my mailbox at home. ETA 9:45 to 10:00 P.M. I'm in a place called New City, NY doing some good for some, I hope.

Listening to Dave's 16 disc 3 in the middle of post-verse Phil Zone wonderific oblique space gearing up for what remember from the last time a quite amazing early Eyes. In the back-up 2007 Hyundai and the whole car is shaking - hope the trusty old stereo doesn't crack!!!

20. Yes, the Setlist drew me in . In a short while I'll have my fill of ChinaCat/Rider, soon and get to the rest this week/weekend.

Double good vibes on those crystals and may it work its magic on you!

NorCal, budwhite and LUNACHUCK like this.
  21. ducksdeluxe

That's another one like Dave's 2-2 discs of whatever and 1 disc of gold.

ianuaditis likes this.
  22. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Nice recording, must be a Betty board. Although Mr Godchaux's piano might be a problem to some...
    A fine Sugaree right there. And the Terrapin>Black Peter is said to be good. Let's see
    Maybe the last night Jerry used the Travis Bean in '77, anyone know?

wavethatflag and NorCal like this.
  23. ducksdeluxe

Jerry Garcia's Wolf Guitar »

According to the above link he says Wolf returned on 28 September. Interesting, if primitive website-reminds me of those old geocities pages everyone used to have 15 years ago.

Erik B. and ianuaditis like this.
  24. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I'm a strong believer in the placebo effect, and the tincture of time. I have no experience with crystals and unicorns. I do believe in lucky charms in the contex of breakfast cereal. I have no lessons to teach. But if you insist, I'll give you the deep discount.