Please advise the best way to improve my modest system.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LordD, Jul 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

LordD and avanti1960 like this.
  2. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

I just linked an amp a couple of minutes ago, but then I go back to the idea that you don't feel like you lack power or punch when playing CDs. If you have enough/adequate power for CD listening, there really should be enough for LPs as well. Or should there.....:confused:

LordD likes this.
  3. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Well, it could be something as simple as a mismatch between the phono pre in your amp and your cartridge. I had a Sumiko Blue Pt. #2 with my Cronus Magnum (the one with a weak phono section), and it sounded poor and couldn't achieve volume. You might consider getting an external phono preamp that is adjustable. There are many to choose from. I bought a ProJect Phonobox S when I needed a phono pre fro a short time It worked fine.

LordD likes this.
  4. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Don't buy any new equipment, until you've optimised how your system is located. There are a number of thread dedicated to this fundamental issue. You'll get many different opinions on these issues, for example having a wall shelf for your deck, which is a bad idea.:tsk:

Electronics are also adversely effected by mechanical vibration, if you successfully address these issues you'll get the best from new equipment, if maximising your current set up is not good enough , for you, the rabbit hole?

stay crunchy and LordD like this.
  5. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

Beware the rabbit hole but they are fun to go into. My last started with a replacement tweeter and when I popped out from that hole new everything graces my living room.

LordD likes this.
  6. LordD

LordD Member Thread Starter

One more final word on this topic: I read a review which stated "If I were building a system with Triton Sevens I would pair them with a moderately priced tube amplifier and enjoy some very sweet sound while adding a touch of the exotic to my system."

I know nothing about what might constitute a "moderately priced amplifier" that would be a suitable match for the Triton Sevens.
    Advice?

7. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I'm no audiophile gear maven, but when I saw the words "moderately priced tube amplifier" the brand Conrad Johnson sprang to mind. conrad-johnson | It just sounds right. »

LordD likes this.
  8. mattsob1

mattsob1 I enjoy distortion

Used Adcom amps can be found for inexpensive, Emotiva makes some decent amps for inexpensive too. But.....

The Triton 7 has a powered sub built in. While I'm not familiar at all with these speakers (I've never personally heard these particular Golden Ears), if you think they lack "punch", have you played with the settings on the powered subs in the speakers (can you even adjust them, I'm not sure?)? If the mids and highs are passive and the sub is powered, then adding power by swapping amps won't help at all with your bass, because I think due to the powered sub, the amp is only feeding the mids and highs.

Edit: My bad, I just read this... "Although it is the first Triton Tower without a built-in powered subwoofer..." so IMO, throw more power at those for sure, 50w/ch is underpowered.

LordD and PhilBiker like this.
  9. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Is $3600 modest? :sweating:

LordD likes this.
  10. stay crunchy

stay crunchy Forum Resident

LordD, I hope that you are making some progress in your quest for better sound. As a newbie on here, I've run across an issue similar to your's. I can only echo the advice of others on here: speaker placement/listening position tweaks have paid off huge for me (I believe we have a similar sized room)...and it was free! The next thing that really helped me was using a cleaner like Deoxit on my inputs and cables, then again my gear was used/vintage. I've also added some homemade acoustic treatments. However, I think more power couldn't hurt. I went a cheaper route with a Crown XLS 1500 power amp and could not be happier. It easily drives my KEF 104/2s. Best of luck!

Brother_Rael and LordD like this.
  11. PhilBiker

LOL used prices are more reasonable I think.

12. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

by all accounts this one is a very good sounding unit- especially for the price which I am guessing is near your ballpark.
    A tube amp should also pair well with the GE speakers which tend to lave a laid back midrange.

JOLIDA - JD102CRC INTEGRATED TUBE AMP »

LordD likes this.
  13. LordD

stay crunchy - I am leaning towards 3 not mutually-exclusive possibilities:
    1. Move existing equipment into carpeted room.
    2. Get a used power amp, although I am a bit confused as to which is good match for Triton Sevens, and also when I hear these need their own power source. Does that just mean they plug into the mains, or I need to buy something along with the power amp to power it?
    3. Add something like the Vincent Pho8 (mentioned in first responses).
    4. Still seduced by the red Bellini tube thing in my Original Post.
    5. Replace turntable.
    6. Move house.

On a positive note, I played Lee Perry's Super Ape CD last night and it sounded superb. Also, an ECM double vinyl set which also pleased me sound wise. Confusion still reigns, but it is enjoyable confusion.

14. LordD

Stephen Syli - Thank you. I checked on some of the threads you mention and am shocked to read on one that "leather is like concrete". One poster suggested that simply removing the leather headrest from his listening chair had made a huge difference. I say shocked because I have a 6 section leather couch in the room with my system...

PhilBiker likes this.
  15. mattsob1

Years back I used to run a vintage Pioneer SX-1050 receiver, and a receiver is basically an integrated amp with a tuner. It was very dynamic and had plenty of output, but I got sick of constantly needing to take it apart and clean the pots and switches. Due to it being ~30 years old at that time, the volume knob would get "scratchy" when you turned it, or one of the channels would cut out because the balance knob's pot would get dirty, etc... taking the cover off and cleaning and lubing these would solve the problem for about a year, then "rinse and repeat" (it got old). Plus no remote.

My Pioneer was rated at 120 watts/channel, and I was reading about this new 2 channel Harman Kardon HK3490 receiver, it was rated the same as far as the (stated) power output, and seemed to get great reviews, so I sold my Pioneer on eBay and ordered it. Once I hooked it up, I was sick to my stomach; the dynamics were dead, it was like going from a dynamic record to a crappy mp3 in terms of what I'd lost. So... I returned the HK receiver (thank you satisfaction guarantee policy), bought another Pioneer SX-1050, and started doing some research.

What I ended up with (back then) was a used B&K Reference 50 preamp, which is an older (circa 2003?) home theater preamp, and while I wasn't using it for HT I picked it up because it got great reviews for being very "musical" sounding in 2 channel. For my amplifier I picked up a used Adcom GFA-5500, which had plenty of output for my speakers (IIRC, 250w/ch at 8 ohms). All that^, to basically rival the sound quality of my Pioneer SX-1050.

My reason for explaining that^ is that a receiver... integrated amp... or amp/preamp combo (all do basically the same thing) definitely have a large effect on sound quality. While I haven't heard the Triton 7, I have heard a few different Golden Ear speakers and I did enjoy them, so I think the speakers aren't the issue. But IMHO, 50w/ch for those speakers is very underpowered, and I really think you'd gain a lot from an outboard amplifier, but I also don't know your listening habits either (if you like to turn it up a lot, you'll positively notice a huge gain in performance with more power, less gain in performance if you don't). FWIW, over the years now I've done a lot of A/B comparing with preamps too, and these can make a fairly substantial difference as well (a "preamp" for your stereo is different than a "phono preamp"). Unfortunately, the only way to know what works and what doesn't is to listen for yourself, and without the mom and pop stereo stores, that can be tough to do these days. But, it's a slippery slope with no end, so use your best judgement, and... your mileage may vary (what's good for me may or may not be good for you).

PhilBiker and LordD like this.
  16. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

This person may have been sectioned under the mental health act:crazy:

you need to check out the isolation threads, 'isolation gurus' has useful info

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2016
    LordD likes this.
  17. LordD

mattsob1 - Thanks for your response. I was looking at an Emotiva UPA 200. Any comment on that amp? Do you think that would be in the ballpark power wise? Also, can I just use my Musical Hall a15.3 as a preamp (with it's inbuilt phono stage). I'm a bit worried about power amps as I don't want to damage my speakers in some way. My listening habits: When I want to hear the Flamin Groovies, Damned, Elgar, or some Keith Hudson dub, then I want it loud. I want to also hear sound projecting at lower volumes.

18. mattsob1

I have no experience with the UPA series amps, but my cousin has a Emotiva XPA-2 amp and loves it, he uses the XPA-2 amp with an Emotiva XSP-1 preamp, and a Clearaudio Nano phono preamp. His system sounds very good, great dynamics, great bass and nice overall tonal balance.

The reviews seem to put the UPA and XPA in a tie, so I would think it would be good, it definitely has enough power... but take that from me with a grain of salt because I've personally never heard it. If I were looking for an amp, it would definitely be up there in one I'd research for sure. From just now looking, I don't think they make it anymore... right? So you'd buy used? Just check on whether or not those are known for any issues. For example, I'd highly recommend a Carver TFM series amp just based on how good they sound, but these are known to be problematic, and being older (circa 1990's) most of the TFM amps on the market will need rebuilt if they haven't been already. The used Adcom amps don't seem to have that problem, my Adcom GFA-5500 is older than my Carver TFM-35 amp; I had to have my Carver completely rebuilt and my Adcom just keeps hammering along without a skipping a beat. FWIW, I used to have a Carver M1.5t amp that worked excellent. I sold it because I preferred the warmer sound from my TFM-35. But, this is because my preamp tends to be more detailed and brighter, so having a mildly warmer amp was good for it.

You positively don't have to worry about ruining your speakers; underpowering your speakers is as bad or worse than overpowering them. Either way, you just want to avoid distortion, that's what kills speakers.

As far as your integrated amp, I don't have any experience with that either. But, in terms of function it'll be fine to use as a preamp, you have nothing to worry about there, my question with regards to that particular Music Hall integrated amp would be related it's performance. I'm really picky, I don't want my system to be too bright, but I want it to be dynamic; and I also don't want my system to sound too dark, but I like good bass. Some of the preamps I've heard can sound stifled and veiled, while some can be too bright and edgy. I wish I had more experience with your integrated, but unfortunately I have none.

LordD likes this.
  19. LordD

mattsob1,
    Thanks, that was very helpful. I am going to hunt around for an Adcom to try.

mattsob1 likes this.
  20. mattsob1

Check this review out, very informative. While he was impressed with your speakers, he did note that they were a tad bright and could have thrown a touch more bass. And FWIW, the Anthem integrated amp they used is 225 watts/ch.

GoldenEar Technology Triton Seven review »

LordD likes this.
  21. mattsob1

Also, if you're looking at Adcom amps, get at least a GFA-545 or 5400 (very similar, same power)... or a GFA-5500 or 555 (again, very similar, same power). Obviously the 5500 or 555 would be better simply because they're more powerful than the 545 or 5400, but any of this will work well. Get what your wallet allows. Ebay and Audiogon are good spots to look.

LordD likes this.
  22. PhilBiker

Wow I googled that Emotiva amp and on the inside it looks a lot like the older stuff from AudioSource. I wonder if they share manufacturers/suppliers. I know people in general love those Emotiva amps. (I live the AudioSource gear I've had including the AMP-102 I'm using as a sub amp).

There is so much fudge factor on watts and power in measurements/specs. One 50 watt amp can be much more powerful than another one. I trust your integrated amp manufacturer - I'll say it again make sure you get a return policy or are willing to take a loss and resell a used item if you don't think it's worth the money after some listening. You may not get a big change - then again you just might make those speakers come alive!

LordD likes this.
  23. LordD

I just saw a GFA-545 for $200 on craigslist and am awaiting reply as to if it is still for sale.

24. LordD

Ha. I must have read about 500 speaker reviews before settling on the T7s.

PhilBiker likes this.
  25. mattsob1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.