Pink Floyd The Early Years 1965-1972 -Anticip/ation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

THE EARLY YEARS BOX SET: 1965-1972
    11+ hours Audio (130+ tracks) & 14+ hours Audio-visualmaterial including:

•Comprehensive 27-disc box set, 7 individual book style volumes

•20+ songs previously unreleased, 7+ hours of previously unreleased live audio performances, 5+ hours of rare concert footage, along with 5 7” singles in replica sleeves, collectable memorabilia, feature films & new sound mixes

•BBC Radio Sessions, remixes, outtakes, & alternative versions over 11 hours of audio (made up of 130+ tracks) as well as live TV performance in over 14 hours audio visual

•Previously unreleased tracks include 1967’s Vegetable Manand In The Beechwoods, which have been mixed for the first time specially for this release

2 historic Quad mixes (1 unreleased), plus new 5.1 mixes ofMeddle and Obscured By Clouds albums

Plus Pink Floyd’s early vinyl singles - the first 5 UK releases, (1967-68) remastered from original tapes, original sleeves / heavyweight vinyl / paper labels replicated

SKU: PFBOX
    $700.00

The Early Years Box Set: 1965-1972 »

:goodie:

qtrules, coffeetime, Mr. H and 5 others like this.
  2. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I am a total Sydhead - but I have to admit I really love the band in the run covered up to 1972.

So far, there is nothing goofy about this, no nod's to millenials, no appealing to the lowest common denominator.
    No scarves or marbles....Seems to be to the point. Looks like a comprehensive data transfer.

I'm even liking the design. (Not a fan of the unhip gnosis)

3. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Not even then.

sparkydog likes this.
  4. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Simon A likes this.
  5. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I can't help but feel like they are purposefully excluding such extras.

asdf35 likes this.
  6. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Favourite band. Favourite period...but 700 dollars for CD's is making me pause...a lot.

I hear CD and I think of a medium that has become too closely aligned with brickwalling and loudness. Maybe not...but for 700 dollars... I can't justify going in blind. I just can't. I've been duped before...

Runicen and Andersoncouncil like this.
  7. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

8. Grissongs

Grissongs Forum Resident

I'd love a mono CD release of Saucerful of Secrets

9. SGR

SGR Forum Resident

I'm glad to see this is coming out, but I wish they could have done it as 2 separate boxes, released 6 months apart, at $350 each. Still not cheap, but much more palatable than $700 at once.

10. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

One of my favorite early tracks of Pink Floyd, hope for a great remaster in the box.

goodiesguy and fortherecord like this.
  11. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I have great adoration for this period of Pink Floyd, when it was all about creating cool sound textures and not so much about feeling like you were forced to be privy to Roger Waters' therapy sessions. I might go for this if I can shake the money loose... and if the reviews on sound quality are good.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  12. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

What do you think is the likelihood of much of this material appearing on vinyl? Why can't I have just the singles, including the 1965 material released on 7" as it was last year, mono Piper and Saucer, the other unreleased material, but no quad or videos, on vinyl?

13. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Basically the same thing I'm asking for, just on cd :D

Platterpus likes this.
  14. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Dunno if this is the most expensive box set ever, but $700 is way too much, IMHO

Andersoncouncil and fortherecord like this.
  15. Catbirdman

Catbirdman Forum Resident

HELL yes. I couldn't give a flying fig about surround mixes or any off the audiophile junk everyone else here s obsessed about. I only want new music that I haven't heard before. Not 500 different transfers and bit rates for crap I can't tell the difference because I have the ears of a 45 year-old human being and not a stinking dog for heaven's sake.

And come to that, why do I have to sign up for four years' worth of material that I'm not interested in anyway? All I want is the Syd stuff. And mind you, I've wanted it for years. Ever since Smile was finally released, an unabridged Syd collection has been #2 on my wish list behind the Neil Young Archives Volume 2. And now it's announced, and in order to buy it I have to sacrifice a limb or two just to have the privilege of being forced to shill out for a gazillion hours of stuff I don't care about. Honestly, if they had loaded it with a few silk scarves and a ton of marbles that would have made the pill much easier to swallow; at least I could have given those as gifts for my wife and niece.

And the artwork looks awful to me. Horrible.

I gladly ponied up for Dylan's 18-wheeler last year, and while you can look at the Floyd box and objectively do some math and figure there's more overall value for the money, here's a point that no-one seems to be making: with Dylan's set, if you were interested in 1965 you were interested in 1966. It was all cut from the same cloth. With Pink Floyd, 1969-72 is like listening to a different band than 1967-early '68. What if you only really care about one of those two bands?

I am so frustrated by this announcement I could scream.

GetHappy!!, yarbles and B. Bu Po like this.
  16. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

Around 1970 Abby road destroyed all the multi track tapes to make room for new stuff from what I heard,AHM was already in QUAD but i think the 8 tracks were gone from that one.Shame UmmaGumma in 5.1 would have been wild.AHM is my favorite album so I'm so happy to get the Quad at least.

17. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

So I wonder if a Blu Ray disc could fit all the studio albums in Hi Rez on 1 disc? 50 Gb /7 albums.

18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

$700? :shake::shake::shake::shake::shake:
    I can't afford it. I need the DETAILED set list until I can make the final decision.

Runicen likes this.
  19. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Well that looks just insane. All I can so far is that I am glad my other half is OK with us selling the Pearl Jam PJ20 poster. Crazy thing is that it sells for around this price, I bet they will bump up the euro price to the same too.

20. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

And just like that, the page is down again...getting a "Page Not Found" error right now.

21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The link is not working now.

mdm08033 likes this.
  22. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

At least I managed to see it once :(

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  23. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I hardly consider '72 early, to me, that is definitely mid period if anything.

24. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

With the link being dead, your post worth repeating.

25. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Hopefully it's down because they're changing that ludicrous price point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.