Sansui 2000x owners? Having some trouble

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by voodoovillage, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Ok. I payed $245 for mine in cosmetically excellent condition with original box and paperwork. I payed an additional $325 for the needed repair work and I don't regret it for one second. I had a brand new Marantz PM5004 that went in the closet when I got my 2000X back. Hope it works out for you.

sami likes this.
  2. voodoovillage

voodoovillage New Member Thread Starter

That makes me feel a little better I had a gut feeling that I should turn the receiver off before connecting the speaker wires but I wanted to be able to hear for sound to make sure I was connecting it right. ugh I dont know why I didnt think to try and find a manual first.

3. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

You can get the Service Manual and Schematic for your 2000X here: Sansui 2000X - Manual - Solid State AM/FM Stereo Tuner Amplifier - HiFi Engine ยป

It's free to join and free to get the download on a .pdf which you can then print out. I haven't found an owner's manual, but then I haven't looked very hard. Good luck on solving your problem. I love my Sansui gear.

4. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

The headphone channel outage is not a good sign, but if you're lucky maybe you only blew a fuse. Check the two fuses on the back panel between the "A" and "B" speaker terminals. If blown, this probably happened when speaker wire strands made contact somewhere they weren't intended. Get the lamp cord.

Wally Swift likes this.
  5. sami

sami Mono still rules

Just picked up a 2000x, and it will be replaceing a Sui 771, which has served me very well. Great, great receivers - in fact, my 771 replaced a Marantz 2238B. Just warmer and better mids. I'm not sure there are any better SS units you can find from the 70's.

stay crunchy and Wally Swift like this.
  6. sami

sami Mono still rules

I just found mine on Craigslist for $220, and it appears to be mint, wood case and all. The thing just sounds phenomenal. This is a keeper, and if extra work is eventually needed, so be it.

7. Wally Swift

I wish radio was something that interested me because the tuner is great too! I can't say enough good things about this receiver.

8. sami

sami Mono still rules

Me either. Funny, when the seller auditioned it for me, it was the radio he was playing. You're right, the tuner is killer, but I haven't listened to music on the radio in about 25 years!

9. Wally Swift

Every so often I go through the stations to move the pointer from one side to the other. This is because I found that leaving it hanging in the middle without use will cause the pointer to hang up in that spot or cause the inner strings to slip. Moving it from one side to the other periodically keeps it moving smoothly if necessary. That's how much I love this receiver: things I don't use must nonetheless function properly, lol! Anyway when I do this I say to myself "doesn't this crap on the radio sound wonderful"? :crazy:

I do enjoy using the tuner at Christmas though. There's always a station or two playing only Christmas songs.

timind and sami like this.
  10. sami

sami Mono still rules

I'll have to remember that come Christmas!

I use mine almost exclusively for vinyl, but it's also connected to my computer I use to store music files, and those sound wonderful through the 2000X as well. I do vinyl rips through it also.

11. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

I have a Sansui AU-666. It has those same speaker clips and I hate them. Agree that lamp cord is the way to go with these, although I did buy these on amazon so I could still use modern speaker cables:

Monster Cable QL GFP-H QuickLock Gold Flex Pin Connectors
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005U21G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They work with some caveats. The pins are still too large for those damm small holes so I had to crimp them a little to get them in. You can plug bananas into them but it's not the most secure connection. Also it's very easy for the pin connectors to touch but luckily they touch on the plastic base part.

12. Wally Swift

Me too. I have a modded SL1200MKII w/AT150MLX cart. The slight AT brightness is completely tamed by way of a capacitance loading kit between the table and the phono stage on the 2000X. Glorious sound imo. I'm curious to try this new AT150Sa stylus on the MLX body which is reported to have better midrange and bass.

I mostly listen to vinyl late at night via GradoSR325is cans with a Grado extension cord straight into the Sansui. No need for a headphone amp, it simply sounds fantastic.

sami likes this.
  13. sami

sami Mono still rules

I have a Parks Audio Budgie tube pre on order (first piece of current equipment I've ever bought), and I can't wait to hear it in tandem with the 2000X.

Wally Swift likes this.
  14. timind

timind phorum rezident

If you're inclined at all, a couple of these would make all the difference when hooking speaker cable.
    [​IMG]

15. sami

sami Mono still rules

Honeatly, I use 12 gauge cable, and have no problem fitting it in the slots the correct way that Wally Swift described. I shaved a bit off and twisted it tightly, and it is perfect.

16. stay crunchy

stay crunchy Forum Resident

I had trouble getting 14 gauge cable into my 2000x, too...much harder to get it in there than with my old Marantz. I finally ending up getting some pin connectors and it works great. Sounds like you discovered that you have a bigger problem. Best of luck, hope you can get it back into action soon. It's a great receiver.

17. voodoovillage

UPDATE:

So I sent this over to a local hi fi repair shop and was able to pick it up today. He wound up recapping about 8 transistors for me along with some other work and said it was in good working order.. He was also able to cut me some speaker wire for the proper gauge for this receiver..really small wire and he soldered the ends so they can easily fit into the terminals on the Sansui. I took it home and connected everything... everything was looking good. I turned on the tuner and YES! loud roaring sound out of both speakers even without an antenna hooked up. Not the clearest due to not having an antenna but I could hear the power coming through the receiver... Then I threw on a record and turned it to phono and NO SOUND OUT OF THE LEFT SPEAKER...I tested it with headphones and have the same problem! The store owner said if there was any problems to bring it back under warranty however he won't be open until Tuesday so another vinyl-less weekend for me. Damn!

18. SteevG

SteevG Forum Resident

Is there sound in the left earphone of your headphones with the tuner on?

19. voodoovillage

Yeah I meant to mention that I tested it with headphones and still have the problem!

20. voodoovillage

Oh no I misread with the tuner on I get sound in both ears on headphones..but with phono, still no sound out of left speaker. Something is just wrong with the phono aspect of the receiver I guess because tuner is working fine

21. SteevG

SteevG Forum Resident

Might be the turntable. Check the connections at the turntable if they're RCA jacks, and make sure that your connections to the receiver are secure and that the turntable is grounded.

22. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

Glad to hear you're back on track (sorta). I have no doubt that you'll get the phono sorted out. The 2000x is a very-underrated receiver (and damn-fine-looking as well). I still have mine, but I need to have it looked at (I think a transistor or two may be bad). Also, I upgraded to a Fisher 800C, which I found out was just stone-perfect for my main speakers (They're from 1963, so decidedly-tube-era) but I have other speakers that I want to try with the 2000x. I already know my W60E's are a great match, plus I have some W60D's that will be even nicer with it (because they're a bit of a step up from the W60E's). I also have the 80th Anniversary Wharfedale Dentons (from around 2012 or so), which I need to match up with a receiver/amp (They're 6ohm, and I didn't want to be burning up tubes with them... They need SS).

Those early SS Sansui models are my favorite. Sansui's founder was still at the helm (I believe he retired in 1974), and he was VERY-thorough and would personally test each and every model before signing off on it. I think he was a big reason why Sansui retained that tube-like sound for as long as they did while most other companies were aggressively-moving AWAY from the old tube sound (I prefer a tube/tube-like voicing myself). He had built one hell of a company with a consistency record that was unmatched in the industry. Even their cheapest receivers (like the 350a) still had that signature Sansui sound. Keep in mind, back in the '60's and early '70's, Sansui competed with the best names in the business and gave them a serious run for their money (and maybe even sent a few packing).

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    Wally Swift and McLover like this.
  23. voodoovillage

Gang, that was really enlightening to read. Thanks man!

SteevG, yes I have a grounding wire connected between the turntable and the receiver. I did check to see if the RCA was securely connected and they were. I have an extra RCA cable that I can swap out so I'll give that a shot.

24. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

The old Sansuis from that era go very-well with Dual turntables. The two brands along with Wharfedale were sold together on US military bases all over the world, and a lot of those Sansui/Dual/Wharfedale systems made their way back to the states when the owner's tour of duty was up, and those systems wound up on CL/Fleabay decades later.

25. McLover

McLover Senior Member

P.S. I am a Sansui fanatic, my favorite sound of the Japanese major makes, and my 4000 receiver is going nowhere. It is beloved. Hope you get it sorted, the 2000x is a great sounding old receiver.

Wally Swift likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.