Pink Floyds Dark Side of the Moon, best vinyl version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Plissken99, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Hoping the Bernie Grundman will be one of the new "go to" copies as well.

2. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

This is my dilemma currently.....do I shell out 65.00 for the 30th before they get ridiculously expensive or do I wait for the upcoming vinyl release. I really like the fact that the 30th is analog, but I'm not hung up on it. The first four albums from the 2016 Floyd vinyl release campaign sound phenomenal. I have the 2011 and re-reading this thread prompted me to compare my Wally version to the 2011 and while the 2011 sounds fine on its own, when compared to the Wally it really does lack dynamics. It is almost lifeless in terms of moving me with the music where the Wally engages you from the first song and does not let go until the end.

What to do.......

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  3. The 2003 reissue (30th) is the one. Don't hesitate!

4. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Seconded - closest I have heard to an early UK pressing. Make sure it's returnable as some copies had pressing flaws.

mike catucci and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  5. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I would wait. What's a couple more months? Why spend the $65 now, only to spend $25 on the Grundman press. LOL you know you're gonna buy one anyway, I know I am.

mike catucci likes this.
  6. mike catucci

Two for, one against. I know that Grundman pressing with be digtial, and Acoustic Sounds has the 2003 in stock now. They are the only place left to get one other than eBay and I trust them more. But yes I will be buying whatever Grundman releases regardless. They have us and they know it :help:

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  7. mike catucci

Ok so I was torn on what to do the last couple of days, but browsing eBay today I saw a 30th Anniversary UK Import available in Excellent "non-played" condition and decided to try and win it. It just ended and I grabbed it for 56.00

How'd I do? I hear the UK imports were dead quiet compared to the 30th US versions, at least early on.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  8. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Wally is (was) the man. If there's "Wally" in the deadwax, that record will sound great!

Vinyl Addict and mike catucci like this.
  9. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Get both and you'll have all the bases covered. :) I have the 30th, a MoFi, an original U.S. pressing, the SACD, a CD and a copy of the DVD-A (or Blu-ray: I forget) from the Immersion Box Set and I think the 30th sounds the best.

mike catucci likes this.
  10. mike catucci

Thanks for the positive comments, I was started to have buyers remorse after reading through some more threads.
    I have the Wally, the 2011, the SACD, the Blu Ray from the box set and an older CD. Despite the great sound from the SACD and Blu Ray, I am drawn to vinyl lately and almost cannot stand to listen to anything else including a somewhat large selection of nicely recorded Hi Rez downloads. That Wally record really does sound wonderful. But the 30th sounds like it will scratch that itch of perfection I seem to seek at times. Just praying it is a quiet copy.

Preston likes this.
  11. Phishman

Phishman Forum Resident

I have a Pro-Use and it sounds fabulous. I have a US first press and it is no comparison. Haven't heard the UK first or the German pressings.

12. Jane Scranton

Jane Scranton Forum Resident

It seems to be an endless circle of making things bigger than they are[?]..and , from what appears to be the reality is; everything depends on the playback of what one owns or experiences from the person or person's gear at hand[and I for one am guilty of this] Of course all of this shtuff is relative. Why don't we all just rebel and play those noisy LPs anyway!:waiting:

Stone Turntable likes this.
  13. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

Just bought the Japanese version, payed bloody £60 of eBay but it does sound really nice - to my ears better than 30th, 2011 and old a3b3 release I have......

Be interesting to hear how the 2016 release sounds - my wife will of course have a view on why I need so many copies of the same album......

mike catucci likes this.
  14. mike catucci

I forgot to report back after receiving the 30th and giving the album a few listens. I cleaned it first and then sat through 2 listens on each side. I then put on the 2011 and listened to both sides and finally back to the 30th. They are both very good but the 30th is better in every way and I am not sorry I spent the money on it. The 2011 is noisy, the 30th is dead quiet. The 30th also hits more of what I like in my music, clear, crisp highs and tight bass. The 2011 is boomier than the 30th although not in a bad way.

That said, the Wally I own can certainly hold its own against the 30th to these ears. If it lacks anything at all it is the lack of presence the 30th brings with it.

Preston likes this.
  15. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I like my 2011, but the original UK is the best pressing easily. I have two first press US copies as well, but haven't gotten them out in a long time.

16. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

The Japanese Pro-Use release has beaten everything that have I put against it, BUT I have never owned an original UK release. I am hoping the Pink Floyd Records release that is part of the band's 2016 reissue series will set a new standard. Sadly, I have purchased more noisy, visually M-, UK pressings than I want to admit to. I am scared that I will spend a LOT of money to purchase a high end UK pressing just to hear it sound like Rice Krispies after adding milk. And the quad mixes from the UK, Germany and Australia were horrible in stereo. They were all sold off when I did the shoot-outs three months ago. The MFSL was probably the most disappointing considering it's reputation. And stay away from the white vinyl releases from Holland and Germany - unless you like the color white, because the color is all that set them apart. I do find the new Bernie Grundman pressing a curiosity though.

17. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Quoting your post as I know you're still around and have forgotten more about vinyl than most of us have ever known... ;)

Does anyone know whether copies with HTM on one side only are likely to only be mastered by him on that side?

I have an A-11/B-10 copy which only mentions HTM on side A.

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

19. SibilanceSegs

SibilanceSegs Forum Resident

My 3rd generation cassette tape which came from an old 8 track is the best sounding version.

20. SibilanceSegs

SibilanceSegs Forum Resident

Vinyl Addict!! Did Bernie come through???

21. No. might not be his fault but this new Dark Side starts our great but the vocals and side two is pretty congested.

To me it's the weakest of all the great PF reissues this year.

SibilanceSegs likes this.
  22. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

If my UK A2/B3 were in perfect shape - it would take the cake. Unfortunately S1 has some noise/crackly spots that happen at very inopportune times (the piece after the clocks in Time being the most egregious) but I tell you what, if you want the hairs on your neck to stand up, Money will do it on that copy.

The 30th is so close and in my own collection is the overall winner because it's in perfect shape. But, I will find a NM A2/B3 some day.

23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

And the SACD.

24. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Japan Pro Use for my ears - it sounds quite close to the non TO black triangle CD (my favourite version of this album, particularly "Money") - same master tapes I think.

Next would be the original UK solid blue triangle LPs. The one I have sounds nice but unfortunately like them all it has a few glitches in "Money" and a distortion in the clocks in "Time". Once heard they cannot be unheard. I read somewhere that the glitches were fixed in some of the later solid blue pressings, but I don't really know.

I don't like the MFSL editions. I have the UHQR version which I rarely play. It is too smiley faced and doesn't sound right because of it. Same with the ordinary MFSL which I have heard a few times.

I sometimes like listening to the quadraphonic LP. Not the best sound quality of the LPs but when folded down to stereo, it seems to accentuate the background vocals which adds an eeriness to the sound, in keeping with the album's character.

25. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

Interesting thread. I have a few copies of DSOTM including an early UK copy; A3/B3 I think. I'm going to have to compare them now:laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.