Roye Albrighton RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Norbert Becker, Jul 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

RIP. I just played "Recycled" this morning thinking how amazing Nektar is yet somehow totally forgotten about these days.

fabrikk likes this.
  2. fabrikk

fabrikk Well-Known Member

Damn, I'm gutted by this! We almost lost Roye about 15 years ago due to hepatitis/liver failure. He got a transplant and pulled through with considerable difficulty. Then he went on a really great productive streak, recording several more Nektar albums and touring plenty. I thought for sure he had more years ahead of him.

After a family tragedy in 2012, I depended so much on Nektar music to keep my spirits up. It really helped.

Nektar is often called Prog, but they were so melodic, and Roye had such a great voice, that they could appeal to wider audiences. I never heard anyone say a bad thing about them, unlike with most of the other artists I'm a fan of.

Legendary NEKTAR Frontman Roye Albrighton Passes »

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    agn and petem1966 like this.
  3. fabrikk

There's a DVD of one of those shows, called "Space Rock Invasion", that's well worth finding (much better quality than the YouTube clips).

bRETT likes this.
  4. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

c'est la vie

5. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

Another good one gone...
    RIP

6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Sorry to hear that. Great band and talented guy. I really like Remember the Future. RIP.

7. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Such sad news. Coincidentally, I've been on a pretty big Nektar binge recently. I'm sort of rediscovering what a great jam oriented record "Sounds Like This" is. Like a few of you have mentioned, I was lucky enough to see the Nektar Nearfest reunion in 2002 with all the original members and it's a fantastic memory. RIP Roye.

agn and fabrikk like this.
  8. Echo waves

Echo waves Well-Known Member

Crushing. Just discovered Nektar only recently. Remember the Future is an album that for me has already come to feel like a dear old friend. Thank you Roye! RIP.

fabrikk likes this.
  9. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

RIP

One of my favourite ever bits of wahwah guitar at the start of Remember The Future

agn and fabrikk like this.
  10. nightfall

nightfall Senior Member

RIP Roye. Nektar's music was deeply felt by me for decades. I always loved the positive, life affirming lyrics in their songs. Saw them at Town Hall in NYC in October of 2002—incredible show, they were on fire!

fabrikk likes this.
  11. fabrikk

12. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

RIP Roye, just played Remember the Future yesterday. What a fantastic album all the way through!! I got into them because Iron Maiden covered two of their songs.

fabrikk likes this.
  13. Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    agn and izgoblin like this.
  14. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Geez. I am completely shocked by this (I've only just seen this thread now). I learned of the band simply by finding a used copy of Remember the Future at a local record store for $2 many years ago and thinking it looked worth trying out. I ended up enjoying immensely and found that there were even better albums in the band's repertoire some time after.

Unfortunately the band got screwed over by a rotten, thieving manager (who in turn screwed the fans as well), I wasn't keeping up on their news.

This is truly sad.

15. Wow....I missed this news last week. Roye was a huge talent who created some music I still enjoy often. 71 - 75 Nektar created outstanding music that completely escaped my attention at the time. Glad I finally got into them. RIP and Good day....

fabrikk likes this.
  16. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Just found out this very sad news. I was searching about the band online whilst listening to them. Very sad. RIP Roye.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.