Beatles "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" out on CD 9/9/16, Vinyl on 11/18/16 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I have an acquaintance who was at the 64 show. I recently sent her the video of the show that is floating around on you tube and her reply was that she couldn't hear a thing at the concert.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

My friend Melissa (turns out) was at the 1964 Bowl show, her dad was a big LA radio exec and their family went. In the 1980s (when she brought it up) she told me she couldn't hear anything but screaming. She said it was so loud it was overpowering. She felt like fainting.

3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Beatles couldn't hear anything either.

4. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

In fact,the only ones who'd COULD Hear were Capitol's Engineers at the Soundboard!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  5. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Amazon just lowered the price for pre-order to $14.99 for cd

6. mr_mjb1960

The same thing happened when COLGEMS Sent Hank Cicalo out,armed with a Mobile Recording unit,to record 4 1967 Summer Shows of the Monkees-He'd frequently took off His Headphones and Cleared His ears,because the Screaming was Deafening Him! The label eventually rejected those Masters,saying they were "Too Noisy to Transfer onto Lp"!

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Judging by the finished work, they just guessed.

8. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

This came up in another thread at some point and I can't recall if anyone had definitive info. I don't know what source was used for the DVD, but to me it looks like it might be from a dub (maybe 1"?). It just doesn't look as sharp as I'd expect for quad.
    Sorry... back on topic now. I'm hoping the "demix" processing performed on the Hollywood Bowl tapes is minimal. It'd be interesting to hear more technical details regarding the tape transfers and the work performed.
    The reports from forum member Yosi are encouraging.

Wingsfan2012 and Yosi like this.
  9. mr_mjb1960

EXACTLY! BTW,I wonder if they,too,had to take off their Earpieces to clear their ears 'cos they were going deaf as well? Hmm.. The Mind Boggles..

10. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

The positive early reports from @Yosi have definitely got my excitement levels up. I've never really thought much of the officially released live tracks by The Beatles. Yes, we got some tracks on Anthology and the BBC sets but they've haven't knocked me off like some of my favorite live albums.

Finally I may now get a live album by The Beatles to listen to from start to end and get feel of being at the show! Mixed in stereo and where hopefully the focus is on the performance of the Fabs. Looking forward :)

11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Agreed. If it's good enough for Yosi then it's good enough for me.

theMess, slane and Yosi like this.
  12. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

The best source in the room.

Wingsfan2012 and Mr. Explorer like this.
  13. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Thanks.

theMess and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  14. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

New trailer of the documentary

jricc, musicfan37, theMess and 5 others like this.
  15. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

And the great news

Shea Stadium Gig to Screen as Part of Theatrical Release of The Beatles: Eight Days A Week – The Touring Years.
    thebeatleseightdaysaweek.com
    Exclusive footage for the theatrical release has been announced – the Shea Stadium concert will only be available in theatres September 15th.

The Beatles played Shea Stadium on August 15th 1965 in what was to be the first rock concert ever staged in a stadium in front of more than 55,000 people. The event was filmed using fourteen 35mm cameras by Ed Sullivan Productions and Brian Epstein and for the very first time, the fully restored, remastered, 30-minute performance will be available to screen as part of the worldwide theatrical release of Academy Award®-winner Ron Howard’s authorized documentary feature film, The Beatles: Eight Days A Week - The Touring Years.
    READ MORE AT THEBEATLESEIGHTDAYSAWEEK.COM

Simon A, theMess, Johnny Reb and 4 others like this.
  16. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

They left that part out........lol

17. Wingsfan2012

As Stella said almost 20 years ago-"Its About %##% Time"..lol

18. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I was wondering how this was worded:
    It says, "for the very first time, the fully restored, remastered, 30-minute performance will be available to screen". It sounds like this is not the original 50-minute TV special, BUT instead is the restored straight footage of the whole concert from start to finish (maybe with the studio overdubs done for some of the songs; but maybe not).

Does that make sense in my interpretation?

Simon A, theMess and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  19. Wingsfan2012

Well I was close...not the Coliseum footage but Shea-I am guessing this will be bundled as maybe a deluxe Blu-Ray package right before Christmas?

20. Wingsfan2012

I have pre-ordered now that Amazon is done charging the "list" price and it is now down to $14.99-I would expect down to $12.99 at least by release date!

21. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Given that Hollywood Bowl is an outdoor venue and Washington Coliseum was indoor, it's a miracle they got the sound they did from the Washington concert film, given the screaming!

22. Wingsfan2012

I would read this as just the concert itself maybe with Ed's intro and that's it...........

23. mr_mjb1960

Hopefully,it will tell the Backstory a little better and quicker than the 8-Part "Anthology" did,if it can.

24. mr_mjb1960

Apple Films,in 1969, made a 1 Hour Documentary of the Shea concert that has been posted on Veoh now for months!

Simon A likes this.
  25. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Girls wouldn't take their boyfriends to the show because there was a lot of pants-wetting going on! (or so I've been told)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Mr. Explorer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.