Opinions ? -Simaudio Moon 310LP phono amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Slick Willie, Jun 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Thanks. I read/heard several hours but yes, 30 minutes or so would have been my thinking. I will plan to leave it on as its what Simaudio recommend but if I am going away for a week or two, then I would be inclined to power it off...

2. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I do the same. If I leave for a while I power everything down. I have Naim electronics and the amp does take a while (several hours) to warmup again to full spec, but I just turn everything back on as soon as I return. My phonostage takes only a few minutes to warm up fully.

3. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

As I'm sure you know there's no power switch on the 310 or the 320, so unless you use a switched power source it's not an issue that should crop up very often.

4. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

There actually is a power switch on the 320s power supply, which is where I would switch off at...

5. thegage

I hadn't noted that in pictures, but I see that the manual does mention it. Got it.

6. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive Thread Starter

Seems odd to be sure, but I tested that concept and find it to be true. seemed to lose dynamics, made it sound less exciting. IIRC, I felt that within an hour or so, it was back up to it's normal kick a$$ self!!
    Takes a while for the capacitors (or whatever) to build back up?

7. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Thanks. Was this just leaving it powered up for an hour to get things back up to normal, or with playback? Also, are you using the 320s with yours?

I was very tempted to go back and get the Ayre P-5xe earlier today - I hope I made the right choice!!!

8. Slick Willie

Time counted was playing time, may be the same either way. Thr Moon is awesome, not a bad choice!!! There is a long brak in time, but it sound sweet all the way though it...it just seems to keep hitting another gear until full break in.
    I am not using a 320, I am using a Venom 3 power cord though.

9. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Thanks for the endorsement and yes, I have read nothing but great things about the 310LP and especially once you add the power supply. Funnily enough, I too have a Venom 3 power cord ready and waiting which I had used on the previous phono stage!

Cheers,
    Vin.

Slick Willie likes this.
  10. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Hello All - Just to provide an update. I finally unboxed and hooked up the 310LP and 320S today - The build quality is beautiful on this thing and the units look really nice side by side. Seems much more quiet than my JC3+ at higher volume levels and no 60Hz hum issues at all - I am also blown away by how good this thing sounds and its not even into hour number one!!! - Very excited to hear this thing once it has been fully broken in - we have some stormy weather here in the NJ area, so I have unplugged everything for the day but will be powering back up tomorrow and will be burning the Moon in with the Granite Audio CD using my CD player from tomorrow evening - will let it run until the weekend and will then see how things sound again on Saturday once I have some time to do some serious listening...

Would love to get some feedback on you 310LP users as whether to use XLR outputs or unbalanced? Wanted to get opinions on how much better it would be using the XLR output as I do have some good quality unbalanced RCA interconnects I am using which should serve me well...

Cheers,
    Vin.

Slick Willie likes this.
  11. thegage

I was wondering how things were going. Glad to hear you've left hum issues behind. I have not experimented with balanced out puts on mine, but if I were you I'd give it a few hours of break-in and get used to how it sounds, then switch in the balanced cables.

John K.

Slick Willie likes this.
  12. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Will do and thanks for the suggestion John K!

BTW, does anyone know whether you can connect both unbalanced and balanced cables at the same time so that I can simply switch between them on my preamp, or should you just have one set connected to the outputs only at one time?

PS I have read no need to spend silly money on XLR cables - anyone have an opinion? Could I get away with a cheap pair from Monoprice?

Cheers,
    V.

13. Slick Willie

Have not tried the XLR's myself, but has been on my to do list for a while...actually keep forgetting about it...oh well....
    Can not answer the un and balanced same time connection question.....but then the benefit is ????? Maybe to make it easier to compare the two?
    Glad you are enjoying the units - it only gets better as they break in!!!!

14. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Yes, having both connected was for being able to simply switch the input on the preamp and be able to tell the difference better/quicker, rather than having to swap out the cables etc. I don't think you should have both connected at the same time but I could be wrong. I'll reach out to the dealer to see if they know better...

Yes, very excited to hear the music once I have them broken in!!! :pineapple:

Slick Willie likes this.
  15. Congrats on the Moon! I have an earlier version and am very pleased with it. I don't have the power supply. I do find that if you unplug it for a while it takes a record or two before it comes up to full strength but it certainly isn't a problem. It starts out very good and then gets better!

Slick Willie likes this.
  16. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Thanks for the feedback Shoalcove and I certainly believe I have found a phono stage that I will be keeping for a very long time!

Just now trying to figure out a good XLR cable to use (without spending crazy $!!!) as I am sure I will want to go down this path especially as I have the ability to do so with my preamp, and Simaudio seem to recommend using. So many cables to choose from - its very confusing!!!

17. I'm glad I could help. I've not used the balanced outputs as my Sonneteer won't accept them. I seem to recall that the gain changes depending on whether you use XLR or RCA outputs. You may want to check the manual as I may be confused. It's been awhile since I looked. Enjoy!

18. Slick Willie

More gain is my understanding as well. XLR is also better for longer cable runs.

19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Well done; a good review. Thanks :)

Slick Willie likes this.
  20. Slick Willie

Thank you sir!

21. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

BTW, it looks like Music Direct have some major discounts on the 310LP and 320s (not sure why?!?!) if anyone is interested in these fine pieces - of course, I purchased mine at the higher cost for lack of a crystal ball that this was going to happen!!! :mad:

Anyhow, still love mine and don't really see a need to upgrade for a very long time if ever!!!

Slick Willie likes this.
  22. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

would anyone here charcactertise the 310LP or 110LP as bright? i was thinking of a upgrade to my Parasound zphono and DL110 that i use with my technics sl1200... and was wondering about an upgrade but i wouldnt want to get excessive brightness.. rigt now i like it but sometimes i feel it can be better.. depending on what i am listening to.. just curious

23. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I have not heard the unit in question, but if you accept that Parasound's JC3 is a better sounding unit than your Parasound zphono (same manufacturer; a much higher price, of course) - and I have always liked the sound of the JC3 each time I have heard it - then extrapolate from VinBob's post that the Moon was a step up from his JC3, you would be looking at a significant improvement. Just idle speculation on my part.

24. Slick Willie

I can only speak on the 310. I do not find "it" bright, although the unit allows the highs to extend. If the recording is bright, then that is what you will hear. It is detailed, quiet, and quick. I find it to work extremely well with my somewhat tube flavored amp.
    It will not add warmth - is probably the best way to state it.

bluemooze likes this.
  25. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

How bright it sounds will also depend on the cartridge and how you load it. I had one on loan a few years ago while I waited for my Herron Audio phono stage to arrive and though it sounded very neutral (as I recall), yet detailed.

Slick Willie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.