If you are thinking about buying 4K equipment, read this....

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rachael Bee, Jan 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It is reasonable to assume that, but only up to a point. You may get some updates over time, but since the TV generation turnover is so quick these days, how long an 'old' model will be supported will vary between brands.

chilinvilin and bferr1 like this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The HDR standards are currently in a state of flux -- there's the SMPTE standard, Dolby's standard, Technicolor's standard, and Imax's standard -- and nobody is certain where it's going to wind up. There are also at least three different settings for HDR, all the way from 400 nits (four times normal brightness) to 1000 nits (ten times normal brightness), and Dolby has demonstrated a 4000-nit capable monitor for $100K. Theaters are doing about 100 nits, which is more than twice the usual theatrical brightness level.

SandAndGlass and bferr1 like this.
  3. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

4. Issues with HDR for home viewing:
    4K Blu-ray vs Blu-ray Reveals HDR Is Too Dim for Daytime »

Vidiot and coltlacey1 like this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I'm interested in 100 inch tv screens with 12 foot close approximation viewing distance. Would any large 4K's be available ( near future) that would accomadate that with no eye strain ?

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, that's true, but it's obvious that if you're watching a screen in brightly lit room, it will badly reduce picture quality. It's like using your smartphone outdoors in ambient or direct sunlight - you ain't gonna see much.

The same lit-room weakness affected plasma screens. They were never very good performers in daylight conditions. Side-lit LCD screens are useless for HDR under all conditions. Bright, backlit LCD screens with many zones are better as are OLED displays, but still, it's best to be in a dark room.

Besides, who watches movies in the daytime?

7. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca Thread Starter

If you want a 100" screen, you might as well get a projector and screen. It will be far cheaper than these giant sets. I think I saw an 85" TV about 6 months ago and I think that it was over $20,000.

Vidiot likes this.
  8. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I do, on a 40-inch Samsung UHD. Also, dark drapes have been invented :angel:

9. Rachael Bee

I often watch movies in the daytime too. If this heatwave keeps up, I may watch movies all day long.

chili555 and Ghostworld like this.
  10. alexpop

Ya'd think 100" 4K TV would be a no brainer... ideal for sports/movies. Someone will bring one out eventually.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yep, that is a potential issue. I know the studios are concerned and the hardware makers are concerned, since each will make more money if everybody has to run out and buy new sets and download/purchase new software.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  12. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

That's pretty interesting and does seem to be a likely issue. I'm also fairly surpassed the issue of retinal damage doesn't seem to surface much when there's talk of brighter displays too (well, brighter bright bits). There have been murmurings this has become more of a problem in recent years with backlit displays.

13. alexpop

Bring back the Plasma, :)

coltlacey1, Claus LH and Linger63 like this.
  14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Nah. that's not an actual issue. First of all, the light produced falls within the visible spectrum (and IR due to heat production), and not into the UV and higher (like the sun), which can be damaging. Secondly, while the displays are brighter (at least LCD based ones - OLEDs are much less so), looking out the window on a sunny day is much, much brighter.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  15. Rachael Bee

Isn't the LG's premium 65" OLED priced over $7,000 now. If they had a 100", it would probably be $15,000- $20,000....??? I think that Sony started the OLED research. I saw their 21" and 29" display models years ago. They did joint OLED research with Panasonic for a few years. Then they gave it up. Panasonic is now planning on marketing OLED's and Sony has maybe given up on OLED....??? Sony cited difficulty making larger panels in announcements they made several years ago.I hope it ends up practical to make giant OLED's. If not, we'll probably see some other technology butt in.

alexpop likes this.
  16. alexpop

100 " inch TVs viewable at shorter viewing distances( 4K/Oled)I thought would have materlised by now. I can wait a bit longer. ( just a bit :) ).

17. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I've given up on the idea entirely.

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

LG is already licensing their top end OLED panels to Panasonic (for at least a year now). In fact, the first Panasotic OLED based TVs were noticeably better than LG TVs using the same panels! The reason being is that Panasonic's drivers/processing engine was better than LGs. However, subsequent updates from LG have closed the gap and now there's not much difference in performance between the brands.

A new technology is certainly butting in. Samsung dropped their OLEDs because they couldn't get them made in sufficiently high yields, especially at the larger sizes (the implementation was different to LG's). So they've been working on a competing technology called QLED (Quantum Dot LED). It's similar to OLED but with better performance (color, brightness, longevity, cost). They've got the tech patented and are working to commercialize it as quick as they can (but it'll still be at least three years away).

19. Rachael Bee

I've yet to see a Panasonic OLED....but I have not been to Busted Buy in some while. They don't carry Panasonic at some other place about town that carry theater equioment that I have been lately.

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The one I read about was the Panasonic TX-65CZ950, however you're right, it is scarce. They've been mainly available in Europe. It appears that Panasonic is slowly winding down its presence, as a whole, in the US due to increasing competition from both traditional and new rivals. Here's some analysis on the situation:

The slow decline of Panasonic 4K TVs in the U.S market - »

21. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I don't see the issue really. It's 'very first world problem'. Most people I know seem to change their TV like they change their underpants so no biggie.

I'm still rocking a 2006 TV but may look to get a new 4K HDR 40" for xmas. I mainly stream stuff so it will be good for me. Will need to get a new FireTV box but that's no biggie. I bypassed blu-ray totally. Glad I dodged that dinosaur.

22. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Like everything else about this forum. A quarter of the human race doesn't have electricity.

Vidiot likes this.
  23. I have 3 masters degrees. One of which is an MS in Environmental Policy. Would you like to discuss that with me here in this thread specifically dedicated to talking about 4k TVs? We can talk about anything you'd like: GMO labeling, Carbon taxes, privatizing of water supplies, veganism, waste management, public transport in developing countries, etc.

Yeesh. There's a time and a place...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    Vidiot likes this.
  24. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

My sons 65" 4K looks great on Netflix 4K content. And then I saw the World Cup Soccer in 4k and it was really noticeable. When you flick back to a 1080 HD (1k) channel, you notice more blur, especially in the background, like the fans in the stands.

I can’t wait to catch the "World Cup of Hockey" in September..... :righton::righton::righton::righton::righton::righton::righton::righton::righton::righton:

25. Rachael Bee

Thanks for the article. I doubt I'll find any Panasonics in Knocksville!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.