Ron Howard's Beatles Documentary Feature Film About The Band's Touring Years, "Eight Days a Week"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jordanlolss, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The Who without Moon was just a minor detour.... ;)

[​IMG]

m5comp, chacha and DrBeatle like this.
  2. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

And now, back to the Beatles.......

3. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i doubt, very much, that they would miss an opportunity to cross-pollinate with a new documentary coming out. a documentary about the beatles' touring years practically requires an album about the same.

4. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yes, just like a new version of the 'Let It Be' album (Naked) required the film of the same... ;)

5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The truth is never easy to swallow... ;)

theMess and Kim Olesen like this.
  6. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

With all the talk this movie and it's companion soundtrack album ( ;) ) are getting, I've decided to revisit what has already been released over the years. My reason for doing this was simply because I didn't know whether we could learn/see anything new with Mr. Howard's film.

I've watched The Beatles Anthology Chapters 3 & 4, The Beatles' First U.S. Visit and the latest Ed Sullivan 2 DVD set of complete episodes and I've listened to the original Live at the Hollywood Bowl. I appreciate the fact that The Anthology was encompassing their career at large, which obviously in 1964 and 1965 was quite touring heavy, but will we truly see anything that we haven't seen before, save for some amateur shot 8mm footage edited together in order to try to give us more than we've seen before? I'll confess not having read this whole thread, although I've popped by once in a while to see how things were progressing, so maybe there have been detailed accounts of what extra footage may be included and I am simply not aware of it

As for the original Live at the Hollywood Bowl, I thought it was a fun and rockin' little LP when I got it at ten and my opinion has not changed. It does sound raw, but no more than some of the other live material we have heard before or after.

I'm quite curious to see this. I guess I'll have to wait for the Blu-ray release in December (hoping it is released then).

7. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

According to the LA times this morning, they will re-release the Hollywood Bowl live recordings, using different 3-track tapes, with better sound, and including some songs not on the original release. Done by Giles Martin. Sounds like it might be worthwhile.

Simon A likes this.
  8. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

Lots of talk about that here if you're interested -

Beatles "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" out on CD 9/9/16, Vinyl on 11/18/16 * »

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  9. astronauta

astronauta Forum Resident

I really hope this includes whole songs from Shea, Tokyo, Australia, Paris and Germany. We know the soundtrack album only has the songs played at the Hollywood Bowl

longdist01 likes this.
  10. letmerollit

letmerollit Forum Resident

11. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

So there is going to be a special tonight? With Paul and Ringo performing together?

12. letmerollit

letmerollit Forum Resident

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  13. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Me too. I also hope the DVD/BD (assuming there is one) menu includes an option...like several other band documentaries I've seen...that allows you to just play the musical selections in order and skip the talk.

Mark

lobo likes this.
  14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Cinema Trailer looked meh meh meh.
    But, yeah yeah yeah.
    No doubt I'll get the DVD.

15. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Bellingham WA

Thursday, September 15th
    Friday, September 16th
    Saturday, September 17th
    Sunday, September 18th
    Monday, September 19th
    Tuesday, September 20th
    Wednesday, September 21st

Thursday, September 22nd

(Showtimes TBD)

[​IMG]

konut likes this.
  16. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

Call me miserable, but I can't say I'm that interested in this film. I'd much rather just have a high quality DVD / BluRay with a few choice full performances, eg:

Royal Variety Performance 1963
    NME Poll Winners 1965
    Shea Stadium 1965
    One of the Budokan concerts from 1966
    The full rooftop performance without any cutaways to the folk on the street below.

It is good, however, that the Hollywood Bowl will finally be legitmately available again after all these years. :agree:

MerseyBeatle, zen and DrBeatle like this.
  17. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Someone mentioned on another forum that a TV show featured a bit of this documentary yesterday, including a colourised version of a 1964 press conference. Did anyone here watch it? How good was the result?

18. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

5th-beatle and Kim Olesen like this.
  19. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Simon A, bluejeanbaby and Mark Wilson like this.
  20. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I will see it in the theater to get the "theatrical experience" and try to forget all the footage I've seen before and ignore the colorization and the (anticipated) historical inaccuracies. I will treat like ordinary movie, ordinary movie.

21. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Shea Stadium Gig to Screen as Part of Theatrical Release of The Beatles: Eight Days A Week – The Touring Years.
    thebeatleseightdaysaweek.com
    Exclusive footage for the theatrical release has been announced – the Shea Stadium concert will only be available in theatres September 15th.

The Beatles played Shea Stadium on August 15th 1965 in what was to be the first rock concert ever staged in a stadium in front of more than 55,000 people. The event was filmed using fourteen 35mm cameras by Ed Sullivan Productions and Brian Epstein and for the very first time, the fully restored, remastered, 30-minute performance will be available to screen as part of the worldwide theatrical release of Academy Award®-winner Ron Howard’s authorized documentary feature film, The Beatles: Eight Days A Week - The Touring Years.
    READ MORE AT THEBEATLESEIGHTDAYSAWEEK.COM

New Trailer!

22. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

hopefully this is a sign that shea will be included as a bonus on the dvd!

23. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Shea "will be available to screen". Does this mean as a double feature with the new film?

24. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

I hope that the Shea footage will include Ed Sullivan's exciting and dynamic introduction "Honored by their country.... Decorated by their queen..... And loved here in America.... Here are... THE BEATLES!!!!"

25. treu

treu Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.