OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

The BDP-105D supports DSD audio in standard rate (DSD64) or double rate (DSD128 or DSD 2x) via its new USB DAC input.

Bill Mac, JediJoker and tmtomh like this.
  2. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Yes, good points - my one small regret is that I didn't get the 105D because its USB DAC functionality includes DSD, while the 105 is PCM-only. But I am content with spinning physical disks and using the occasional directly connected USB stick for my small collection of SACD/DSD music.

Bill Mac and Linger63 like this.
  3. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I listen to DSF files from a USB key or hard drive with my BDP-105. You should be able to as well.

tmtomh, formu_la and Linger63 like this.
  4. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Yep. As I understand it, what the 105D adds is double-rate DSD playback from an external computer through the asynchronous USB input on the back. The 105 will do that with single-rate DSD. What I don't quite understand is why one would choose to play the files back that way instead of from a USB stick or a hard drive. I'm sure I'm just not understanding it--I think I did get it at one point!

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Clarification - the standard 105 does not support DSD via the asynchronous USB DAC input. And some people may want to hook their PC directly to the player, as opposed to transferring files over to USB or HDD. Connected directly to a computer, you're likely to have a better interface experience (point and click vs. poking around on folders on your TV for USB).

OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer »

6. Gardo

Thanks, Sam. You da (OPPO) man! All makes perfect sense.

Bill Mac and tmtomh like this.
  7. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

That's interesting you mention this, as my 105 will not stream from my iPod. I assume you're talking about the Darbee edition (my 105 is an older, non Darbee player)?

8. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I've got OPPO 103 this Monday, and just want to confirm it plays DSF stereo and multi channel perfectly fine from USB flush drive. I have a monitor hooked up to one HDMI (split with TV. TV is normally off) to control the folders.
    Didn't have time to try OPPO media control application for Android yet.
    It is a personal preference, but i will go an extra mile not to use a computer for playing music.
    Ripping is a breeze. The only stumble I had: Norton AV tried to kill ISO2DSD, but I told it to shut up, and everything is fine since.
    BTW thanks to everyone contributing to this thread. I am happy to stop thinking about buying PS3.:righton:

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I have not tried with a Blu-ray player in a while, but to my knowledge, only the front panel USB input of the OPPO HA-1 accepts input from an iPod/iPhone/iPad.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    JediJoker likes this.
  10. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Because it frees you from the primitive Oppo GUI.

11. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

That was my understanding as well.

tmtomh likes this.
  12. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Totally, yes, I can. I'd just love to be able to play DSF files the same way I do all my PCM files, via my Mac mini hooked up to the 105's USB DAC port. I use iTunes with BitPerfect, and recent versions of BitPerfect have enabled playing DSD-type files through that interface through some kind of file-encapsulation voodoo that allows the data to be passed through to the DAC without being converted to PCM first. But the 105 won't (AFAIK) accept that DSD output from BitPerfect.

Simon A likes this.
  13. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Exactly.

JediJoker likes this.
  14. zonka

zonka Forum Resident

Thank you for all the thoughtful replies. Two follow ups:
    1) how well does the 103 stream? Is the sound quality degraded doing this or is it better to plug in usb directly to oppo?
    2) by streaming or direct usb connection can you shuffle/random play within a folder?

Thanks again!

15. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Probably DoP, "DSD over PCM." Unconverted DSD is placed within a PCM "wrapper" that is recognized by a DoP-compliant, native DSD-capable DAC.

tmtomh likes this.
  16. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

BTW, I accepted firmware update over Internet. Didn't cause any problems with ripping.

17. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Figured out how to switch between redbook and SACD layers on the fly.
    It is indeed pressing the Audio button on the remote.
    To verify which layer is playing, look at the bottom of the tv screen to see which layer is playing.

The thing that enables it?
    Go to Setup, Audio Processing, and turn "Secondary Audio" to ON.
    This must have been disabled when using that downloaded file to rip SACDs.

Problem solved.

Simon A and JediJoker like this.
  18. JediJoker

Leaving it on, however, may induce funky behavior for visual discs (per the manual). I don't really see why that would make a difference for SACDs.

Simon A likes this.
  19. HiFi Guy 008

I'd had it on from the very beginning.
    Never had any "funky" behavior from dvds.

I just can't remember how it got turned off.
    I think this was part of my setting it up to rip SACDs?
    Too lazy to re-read those ripping instructions again. :laugh:

20. JediJoker

It was not one of the steps I took, nor was it in the guides I used. I don't remember if I have it turned on or not.

21. HiFi Guy 008

Yeah, read that. Thanks for the link.

I'd had it on from the very beginning.
    Never had any "funky" behavior from dvds, at least.

Funny that the manual never states anything about how this feature must be on to swap between different layers of hybrid discs!

It must have been turned on by default when the player was new.

I just can't remember how it got turned off.
    Was part of my setting it up to rip SACDs?
    Too lazy to re-read those ripping instructions again. :laugh:

In any case, the instructions for ripping SACDs needs to be augmented with this info.

22. Gardo

I didn't have to adjust this setting to rip SACDs. I haven't tested to see if it makes a difference, but I'd be surprised if it did.

I too have turned this secondary audio setting to "off," because of the warning in the manual.

JediJoker likes this.
  23. calpon

calpon Forum Resident

Is everyone keeping these as .iso files or are you converting to .dsf files for easier playback.
    Through Jriver, I can play them either way on my computer, but I don't know if they will play on my Oppo 103. They probably will not play on my Squeeze player unless I convert them from dsf to 88.2 flac...correct?

24. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Oppo 103: .dsf plays fine, not.iso

Squeeze player: if using Logitech Media Server, or any other flavor of SqueezeServer, you must convert to flac. However, if you use Roon as a server, and configure it to convert .dsf on the fly, you can play .dsf to your Squeeze player. I run an extensive set of SqueezeBoxes and SqueezeBox Touches from Roon, and have completely removed Logitech Media Server from my environment.

marcb likes this.
  25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yes but I think you need to convert them to 176.4 flac, not 88.2 flac.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.