PAVLOV'S DOG cds reissued..finally!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jimmy Agates, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR Thread Starter

Oh dear - the pressure's on!!! This could turn out bad! They are what some might call an aquired taste but I rate them highly...

4stringking73 likes this.
  2. B_big!

B_big! Vinyl Record Enthusiast

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .[​IMG]

That's a funny coincidence! Yesterday I thought about giving both of their first albums a spin again. I bought them at the time of their release and still love 'em.

. [​IMG]

. [​IMG]

. [​IMG]

I don't think, that I'll buy the reissues, I will stay with the originals. Both of these have a great quality of sound.

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Anyone care to offer reviews/comments on the large number of Pavlov's Dog issues that have been released now (outside of the two proper albums that came out on ABC/Columbia):

http://www.rockville-music.com/html/discography_pavlov_s_dog.html

Which of these, if any, are up to the quality level of Pampered and At the Sound?

4. 4stringking73

4stringking73 Forum Resident

Pressure is off, I listened to three songs off the debut and was hooked! Buying the cd from Amazon this week!

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  5. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

I would recommend only Has Anyone Here Seen Siegfried. It's the best version of the unreleased third album from 1977, remastered just last year. Personally, it didn't grab me as much as the other two, but I need to listen to it more. I can't really comment on anything that came after the 70s as from what I understand it's barely like the original band. I would check out The Pekin Tapes if only for the fact it's the earliest recording of the band, and there's a couple new tracks and some serious variations from stuff on the first album. In short.

Get Has Anyone Here Seen Siegfried, consider The Pekin demos and find some live bootlegs. Forget the rest.

6. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I saw that too. Since Doug Rayburn passed away awhile back I wonder if he was the one with the copy. Might have been discovered after his death.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  7. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

If you like the Pampered Menial album then The Pekin Tapes are a must have. Great versions of songs from the first album. I actually prefer some of these to what ended up on PM.....especially Theme From Subway Sue.

Who is Subway Sue and why is she following us around? :winkgrin:

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  8. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

The name stems from Siegfried Carver mishearing "someday soon" as "Subway Sue" when Surkamp demoed it and it stuck. Not once in the song is subway sue actually said, it's always "someday soon".

9. Dingo

Dingo Forum Resident

First two albums have never been unavailable in Australia. They were a band that you turned your favoured friends on too.
    To this day, if they chose to make the trip, they could pack out a large club in most major cities.

Groggy and Jimmy Agates like this.
  10. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

My favorite comment on Surkamp's voice is that he sounds like Marty Balin on helium.

11. VVK

VVK Well-Known Member

Try to compare some CD versions for this band. Some years ago I got Pampered Menial and At The Sound Of The Bell on CBS CD’s (they were made in Austria in early 90-s, as far as I remember). They sounded too thin and flat in my opinion. Very simple 4-page booklet, minimum information.

Rockville 2007 remasters: Sound more’ bassy’, fuller, but too compressed, especially PM. But it’s the case when DR7 CD sounds not too bad, perhaps because of not much mid-high EQ. It has some interesting bonus tracks and nice booklet. Digipak

Rockville’s ATSOTB less compressed than PM, but bonus tracks are live versions, no rare tracks. And it hasn’t any booklet at all, simple digipak.

In addition, today I received Esoteric 2013 remaster of PM. My first impressions: good and informative booklet, much less compressed than Rockville version (DR11), but it sounds a bit ‘trebly’, perhaps closer to CBS-version.

Sorry for my English:)

Carlox and B_big! like this.
  12. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

It seems that both Rockville and Esoteric didn't remaster those albums from mastertapes.
    I wonder who owns them... If they still exist...

VVK likes this.
  13. B_big!

B_big! Vinyl Record Enthusiast

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .[​IMG]

Maybe you should try to dig for the vinyl albums! I have both, and they are of excellent quality of sound! . [​IMG] . It's just a humble suggestion.

VVK and rockclassics like this.
  14. popcorn1

popcorn1 Forum Resident

i loved HiFi---have not looked but is any of that available these days---christmas song was great---surkamp and matthews!!!

Jimmy Agates and bhazen like this.
  15. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Still remember first time I heard JULIA. We met mondays evening for sauna/swimming and that one guy- a true audiophile used to bring a few LP's to those meetings. Everyone was talking but the moment we heard JULIA, everyone was quiet and started listening. That female voice had the certain magic - of course the singer is male but he sounds a bit like those Counter tenors i.e. castrates in opera-before women were allowed to perform in public.
    In munich I found 2 copies of the 2 original releases. Prety expensive but over here no record shop could order it or had it on stock. I got loosless files from the remasters with a bunch of extra trax and they sound okay to me. I hardly listen to these albums thou...

16. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

Try Amazon -- there's a compilation called Hifi Complete or something, includes a DVD!

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  17. VVK

VVK Well-Known Member

Oh, that's a tough question:) I stop listening vinyl in early 90-s. That clicks and rumble level... For my ears, good CD sounds better and has more dinamic range (in potential). The problem is usually in bad mastering. Sometimes it looks done for smartphone, not for good Hi-Fi. Luckily, not always.

But I also remember, how thin and flat was sound of LP's with timing more than 50 minutes (Todd Rundgren as example)
    The only reason Vinyl easily beats CD are album covers. They are REAL THINGS:)

Anyway, whatever floats your boat...:)

Carlox and B_big! like this.
  18. VVK

VVK Well-Known Member

Looks that way...

But for today Esoteric remaster is the best.
    I compared it with Rockville in Adobe Audition, but unfortunately can't insert image of waveform in my post...

19. popcorn1

popcorn1 Forum Resident

thanks for the tip---i did track down a copy---tracks 2, 3 and 4 of the EP are just flat out tremendous---have not heard for decades but found myself instantly singing along---what a great unknown band they were---fortunately i saw them twice in '81 or so

bhazen likes this.
  20. Azura

Azura Felis silvestris grampia, factum ex trabibus ferro

Max Bell in his NME review when PM came out on import (Pavlov's Dog - the light at the end of rock's dark tunnel) referred to it as "like a vole on a hotplate or a choirboy on speed". And later, "Surkamp mixes enough operatic chipmunk vibrato to put Russell Mael on the dole".

That review by a fully paid up Sandy Pearlman fanboy was enough to get me through to Edinburgh the next day to buy it in the import racks and I have loved it seriously ever since. In that fallow period between Glam and Punk it really was close to the only game in town (though Bell referenced Bowie and Steely Dan, and it was not long before Horses came along). Everyone I ever played it to loved his voice. Everyone I ever played it to actually loved HER voice, until I told them.

Interesting to read comments from folk here like rockclassics who have inside knowledge. I remember reading about the massive ABC advance as well and how they realised they would never recoup their money (why did they pay such a big advance in the first place???) Especially interesting to read about how they dropped David's voice for the second album, which may be part of the reason it never did it for me. The songs didn't help either, most of them, though She Came Shining and the last tracks on either side were magnificent. I never understood why they replaced Mike Safron with Bill Bruford, good though the latter was, as Mike seemed to do fine and wrote one of PMs killer tracks. Ditto bringing in Elliott Randall on guitar. Why? Perhaps it was Pearlman, he'd passed his best by then, Agents Of Fortune was magnificent but it took BOC away from where they had been the previous three albums and they never hit it again, nor did Sandy (RIP). (BOC are another story as well, maybe the most misunderstood band ever, though Clinton Heylin clocked their crucial influence on punk, with those two great songs of Patti's on T&M and ST.)

I did hear The Spirit Of St Louis 15 or so years ago but never made much of it but the pre-PM stuff sound well worth a listen and is on the lsit. I picked up the Rockville CD for the bonus tracks, especially the "full length" Preludin but hadn't realised it was a live version, pity that.

And was Siegfried Carver a pseudonym? It was talked about a lot at the time but never confirmed, David LaFlamme was claimed by Bell.

"This group has no gimmicks, most of them are ugly. Nothing to declare except their brilliance. Potential nothing, this is it. Get salivating."

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

22. Azura

Azura Felis silvestris grampia, factum ex trabibus ferro

23. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

It was Max's review that got as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.