R.I.P. Jack Davis (cartoonist/artist)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by xdawg, Jul 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I was a big fan of his work for MAD. Later on I 'discovered' his work thru reprints for EC. I remember how stunned I was to find the dark side of an artist whose impeccable caricature work and humor had entertained me for so many years. I loved it! Another once in a lifetime talent gone, too sad. RIP.

lightbulb, Alan G. and xdawg like this.
  2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Jack Davis did indeed design Uncle Creepy and Cousin Eerie, but those sketches you posted were not drawn by him.

xdawg likes this.
  3. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Corrected:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

He did a lot of classic monster kid art.
    I liked his Frankenstein poster that was sold in the back of the Warren magazines.

lightbulb and xdawg like this.
  5. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

That poster is from the 1970 reissue; note the rating and the word Transamerica under United Artists.

xdawg likes this.
  6. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Jack Davis,cartoonist who's work primarily appeared in Mad magazine,has passed at 91.I bring this to the music forum because of the many great LP covers Davis drew, as well as movie poster art that adorned many a soundtrack LP. Others,I'm sure, will chime in with example artwork,but a simple Google search will keep you occupied for hours. I'll point out that a favorite of many is the poster for the 1963 big budget,all-star cast- It's A Mad, Mad, Mad,Mad World. Personally,I still think the movie overblown and forced and the music fitfully rises to the occasion,though it is forgettable. But that artwork,with caricatures of the stars trying to catch a satchel of money,is so iconic that years later Mad magazine commissioned Jack to do a similar feat for a book that just had to be titled :It'a A World,World,World Mad. Here,everyone is chasing Alfred E. Neuman. Jonathan Winters,a major player in the film,had one of his Verve LP covers done by Jack,with the Winters characters in chase.
    Davis did lots of covers for country comedy,especially Homer & Jethro but also Ben Folder(aka Sheb Wooley) as well as Johnny Cash's Everybody Loves A Nut.
    If you're flipping through the dollar bins and come across a Davis cover(my favorite: A Bob & Ray Stereo Spectacular) and the LP is trashed but the cover in nice shape,pick it up-it's a steal. Affordable art. Homer & Jethro's Songs My Mother Never Sang For Me is way more degenerative than those original Mom's Apple Pie covers that were quickly banned,while H&J quietly stayed in the country music bins for decades,and big time RCA never blinked. If only A&M had commissioned Davis to do a Baja Marimba Band cover-what a dream! Can't you picture the guy with his back turned?
    RIP to a guy who has wallpapered my brain since I was a kid and had a quarter to spend.

lightbulb, xdawg, rxcory and 3 others like this.
  7. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

RIP Mr. Davis ... your work has given me measureless pleasure over the years.

lightbulb, xdawg and Andrew like this.
  8. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Gone but never to be forgotten!

[​IMG]

9. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

One of my favorites. His work on "Superfan" in Pro Quarterback magazine was the perfect meeting of two of my childhood obsessions (other than rekkids): Mad Magazine and the National Football League. Rest well sir!

xdawg likes this.
  10. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Right you are, but the Jack Davis art is from the original film artwork.
    Also, he did a cover for a Jonathan Winters comedy album from the same period:

[​IMG]

11. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Just like everyone else, I grew up with Mad Magazine, and always loved Davis' work. And I can remember going through my dad's LPs as a kid in the 80s and just being fascinated by this Guess Who record. It wasn't until years later that I realized Davis was the illustrator, although looking at it now, it's incredibly obvious. He was an excellent cartoonist.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pscreed, lightbulb and xdawg like this.
  12. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Jack Davis also drew one of the most infamous horror stories at EC - "Foul Play" [gasp!][choke!]

[​IMG]

13. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

R.I.P. to one of the masters.

His drawing style was instantly recognizable, whether it was in MAD, on the cover of TIME or TV Guide, in an advertisement, or on an album cover.

Solitaire1, lightbulb and xdawg like this.
  14. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

One of the BEST of ALL TIME. I used to stare and study his MAD magazine and the MAD board game illustrations and marvel at the humor, grotesqueness, and detail in them. RIP Jack.

xdawg and lightbulb like this.
  15. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Jack Davis - an artist extraordinaire who mastered the macabre, the silly body language, the on target caricature, with a fine line and trademark touch.

Thankfully his gracefully drawn frenetic art remains for us to still enjoy.p

May your talented pen and skillful insight rest well.

xdawg likes this.
  16. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

One of the greatest ever.

RIP Jack...

17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

An awesome artist. I can't get enough of his work.
    Thanks for the kicks Jack!
    RIP

18. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

19. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

He also contributed character designs for the stop-motion movie Mad Monster Party. You can instantly see his style in the various characters.

keefer1970 and xdawg like this.
  20. Sunset Sam

Sunset Sam Forum Resident

[​IMG]

xdawg and Andrew like this.
  21. Sunset Sam

Sunset Sam Forum Resident

xdawg likes this.
  22. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

RIP Jack.

xdawg likes this.