Classic CD Players

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gss, Jul 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gss

gss Forum Resident Thread Starter

I looked around a bit and did not see any threads similar to this, so I thought I'd start one.

I've been enjoying CDs again, and have a few players, but - while exploring the used market - I want to keep my eye out for unique players that might be deemed classics.

They might be considered classics for the sound quality that they provide, or for their aestetic value.

In any case, a thread of folks extolling the virtues of their favorite compact disc players, and qualifying why they consider them to be a classic, seems like a fun idea to me.

I was inspired to start this while reading the following link regarding Bang & Olufsen Beogram players. I've never owned a B&O CD player, but the design of these pieces guarantees that I will jump on one if I see it.

hifi-advice.com - Bang & Olufsen CD Player Classics - CD-X and CD-7000 »

pscreed likes this.
  2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I always liked the Yamaha "natural sound" CD players from the early nineties. I don't remember the model numbers on the two that I owned but they were pretty pricey for the day.

bhazen and Szeppelin75 like this.
  3. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Most every CD player I ever had,sounded the same. I couldn't imagine trying to find one that's better than another. Not saying they don't have differences, just saying they all sounded good to me.
    All I listen to now is vinyl. Peace

4. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

The CD-X was an awesome player. Built like a tank and sounded excellent.

bhazen, McLover and Turboholic like this.
  5. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Well I am using two classic players as i run 2 systems
    In one system i use s Nakimichi CD Player 2 which sounds heaps better than modern players.
    The best sounding machine i have ever heard and am using is a 1990,s Panasonic SLS 120 which is a Personal CD player with a line out for use with a preamp.
    Its main asset is that it has no op amps and at 1.6 mv output sounds natural and images superbly, no fatigue .
    It was suggested by Hubert Jan about a month or do ago .
    He was absolutely spot on.
    Infact i cannot listen to any other player for long since hearing it

bxbluesman and SandAndGlass like this.
  6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Sony XA5400ES. Best sounding, most natural player I've ever owned. The only player I've ever owned that allows me to get as much enjoyment from my cd's(and SACD'S) as my records. I cannot give a CD player a bigger compliment.

7. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Bow ZZ eight, I love that cd player because of its looks and because of its sound (yes, I'm owning that cd player :) ):

[​IMG]

8. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I love any cd player when you can clearly see the label of the cd while it's spinning.

At least you could see some of the cd while it was spinning on the B&O CDX and CDX2.
    How many cd players need a rear heat vent like this one? It was too uncouth to put it on the top.

[​IMG]
    The better sounding CD-7000 had a slide out tray, which was disappointing.
    But it was much cooler looking than any other tray I've seen before or since.
    Known as the "knife." Because it looked like it could cut a cigar, or your finger.
    Why wasn't this featured in The Sopranos?

[​IMG]

9. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

My first CD player was a Marantz CD52Mk2 SE, which was a pretty highly regarded budget player in its day. Bought it in 1990ish (give or take a year). The CD opening mechanism failed a while ago, but it has been in my brother in law's system for the past few years and is still sounding good.

PH416156 likes this.
  10. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

this was similar to my first Cd player. I loved the carousel look and today I wish I had another one like it.
    my original one died many many years ago. I loved that baby to death! Wish they still made this style.
    [​IMG]

Jerryb and pscreed like this.
  11. Benjamin Reed

Benjamin Reed Well-Known Member

Growing up in the 90's the Arcam players did me proud. First the Arcam Alpha 7SE then the CD23 with the RING DAC.

Gibson67, sennj and Ghostworld like this.
  12. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Marantz CD63 ki sig
    Marantz CD7
    Linn Ikemi
    Linn CD12
    Meridian 808

all true classics at their price point.

13. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

My Arcam

Arcams first CD player using the legendary Philips TDA1541A DAC d/a converter. I paid £25 for this mint example!

[​IMG]

Kristofa, sennj, Redearth and 7 others like this.
  14. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

My favorites include the Linn CD12 and the Naim 555CD. Both are still among the better sounding units out there.

bhazen likes this.
  15. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

One of my players is Sony XA-20 ES. Built like a tank.

Wally Swift likes this.
  16. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

The DBX DX-5 (1990) was my favorite. It excelled in making tapes for the car (this was before car CD was reliable and affordable). The combination of Downward Expander, Peak Unlimiter and Over-Easy Compression created tapes that had a more suitable dynamic range for car listening over road noise. With the controls "off" it was a joy to hear for CD playback at home.

My only complaint was that it would not play burned CDRs well, only the brightest most silvery-looking CDRs had the reflectivity needed for that player to track them. It was retired and sold around 2000.

17. slowhand1964

slowhand1964 A Tadpole in a Jar

Marantz CC-65se: Picked on up at a thrift store for $10 bucks about 5 years ago. Had been using DVD players for my CDs since the late 90s when my Yamaha Natural sound transport broke. Man, the Marantz sounds killer compared to DVD transports. Don't know if it is considered a 'classic' as it was built in 1995

18. timind

timind phorum rezident

[​IMG]
    Resolution Audio CD50. I bought this one on ebay for 10 cents on the dollar when it was only a few years old as it was cosmetically challenged. When I got it I cleaned it up and thought it was very presentable. About ten years ago, after a lot of listening, this player allowed me to get out of vinyl.
    Must've been my main source for ten years before it was replaced by a Resolution Audio Opus 21.
    The pic is from my ad.

pscreed likes this.
  19. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I bought the Philips 850 in the mid 90s or maybe slightly earlier. It was the top of their range then and it still plays and sounds very good indeed. It's built like a tank and, to my surprise, I found it also plays CD-Rs effortlessly.
    The red button is for digital out and I often use it with another DAC but there's nothing wrong with its own Bitstream output.
    [​IMG]

20. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Rotel RCD series. I have RCD-971 heavily modded. Smooth sounding, plays cd-r fine. Quite a bargain today if you can find one.

Ghostworld likes this.
  21. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

Speaking of TDA1541s...

I owned a Philips CD80 for many years and enjoyed it thoroughly. It developed a few problems I didn't want to deal with, so I sold it (for a rather healthy amount), and for the next few years I made do with my Onkyo DX-7211; nice enough, but no CD-80.

Last year I had the good fortune to snag an Onkyo DX-706, actually even before I knew what a reputation it had. Man, what a nice machine. Oddball internals (2x Nippon Precision DAC, NEC laser mechanism), but the same natural sound of my CD-80. Perhaps I'm fooling myself, but I could happily stay with this one forever.

Cheers,
    Larry B.

22. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

I recently picked up a Marantz CD50 SE for £40 at a charity shop and I'm really pleased with it.
    It's got the classic Philips chip and sounds nice and warm but detailed.

I think I'll now get my old Marantz CD75 MkII modded to see if it can better the un-modded CD50!

23. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Great topic OP... I don't have any vintage digital spinners but sometimes I miss a few I did have. Love the pics of the old gear.

gss likes this.
  24. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

I've owned quite a few vintage/classic players including a couple of the Kyocera DA series, an ADC 16/2r, and an original Rega Planet .
    Right now I'm using a Vector Research VCD 900 that I'm totally in love with.
    I'm just in love with the warm sound of these old DACs... And since the bulk of my money goes into my analog front end, I love how cheap these can be

25. KLM

KLM Senior Member

I loved my California Audio Labs Icon Mk 2 CD player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.