Dynavector XV-1

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Airbus, Jul 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Airbus

Airbus Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not that my Ortofon Quintet black has anything wrong with it,
    But I am seriously considering a Dynavector XV-1 cartridge upgrade.
    It costs a fortune, any feed back please?
    Is this one of the best cartridges in the industry?

[​IMG]

2. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Yes, that is a fantastic cartridge, but you probably already know that. What are you using for a phono stage? To really get the most out of that cart you are going to need something up there. Dynavectors all have a similar sound to them that just gets more resolving in it's detail as you move further up. When you start to hit the XX-2 and up there are less of a difference in sound as you might get at the lower levels and jumping up.

Personally I'd consider the XX-2 or the Te Kai. However if you have money burning a hole in your pocket (or just won the lottery) go for the XV-1.

Airbus likes this.
  3. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Pricey, yes. Gorgeous, yes. This is a very full bodied, bold and robust cartridge. If your table and tonearm can handle it, it could be the last cartridge that you ever need.
    I have traveled up the Dynavector ladder and have had the Xv1-s for about 2 years. If you like the Dynavector house sound you should not be disappointed. Dynavector has a generous trade in policy when you wear it out- you will with all the "new " records in your collection. Get demo if you can...
    ATB,
    Mark

Airbus likes this.
  4. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

The dyna XV-1s is a superb cartridge. I have owned 3 of these over the past dozen years.

Be careful, the cartridge is very heavy, so you need a tonearm that can handle the additional weight.

Airbus likes this.
  5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

What is the MSRP on the XV-1?

6. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

About $5500 IIRC

7. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Maybe a little more than that now, like in the $5,650 range (retail). But if one is going to jump out there go ahead and jump WAY out there with a XV-1t! :bigeek:

8. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I have owned and used the DRT XV-1 for several years now. I had the Dynavector XX-2 prior to that. I use the DRT XV-1 on my Linn LP12 with Naim ARO tonearm. The XV-1 and ARO are a good match, at least when the ARO uses its heavy counterweight (which I have). The XV-1 sounds good with both my Benz Micro Lukaschek PP-1 T9 MC phono stage and also with my tubed Cary Audio PH 301 MKI phono stage. Prior to that I owned a EAR 834P phono stage and had excellent results. My point, the XV-1 worked well with any phono stage and also a couple of built in phono stages, in other words, it doesn't seem to be a fussy cartridge and should work well with other phono stages as well as the ones I've tried.

Dynavector will rebuild your XV-1 when it gets worn from use in a few years. I had this done to mine and it is sounding better than ever.

Scott

Airbus likes this.
  9. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Should be able to get one for about 4400 if you shop around some.

10. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

How much for a rebuild?

11. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Scott- Agree about the heavy counterweight for the Aro. Check out the Skale weight from Tiger Paw Products,UK- this is just what you need to get that weight closer to the pivot- an improvement over the Naim Heavy counterweight. Nice deck btw!
    Sorry to take thread off topic guys...
    ATB,
    Mark

12. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

Either way, it's a little outside my range at the moment. I'll have to suffer along with my lowly Dynavector 17D3. Ha.

Gardo likes this.
  13. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Only concern is the project tonearm, assuming your info page is accurate, can it handle the cart weight

But that is one sweet cart

Airbus likes this.
  14. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Spitfire - The XV-1 rebuild by Dynavector cost US$2700.

Varyat - It looks like Tiger Paw only has counter weights for Linn arms.

Scott

15. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Scott- the website does not show the counterweight for Aro, but Tiger Paw does make them ( I own 2 ).
    Send Chris Harben of Woodson Audio an email- he is very well versed in the Aro and everything LP12- he is a US dealer for Tiger Paw.
    He can also make you a very nice custom plinth for your LP12 if you so desire!
    ATB,
    Mark
    PS The Linn Forum has lots of discussions re the Skale if you want to do some research

16. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

That should read Woodsong Audio

17. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Thanks. Always wondered how much it costs to rebuild these expensive MC cartridges.

18. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Sorry to go off topic, but I totally love my Quintet Black; best cartridge I've ever had. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.