Ron Howard's Beatles Documentary Feature Film About The Band's Touring Years, "Eight Days a Week"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jordanlolss, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emitex

emitex Forum Resident

2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I'm sure if it's colorized in the trailer, it's colorized in the film. I don't see the point in this, but Apple/whoever apparently feels this needs to be done. They even colorized some press conference footage. Why? Hey, the Beatles were around over 50 years ago. It's OK if footage is black & white.

GetRhythm and raveoned like this.
  3. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

I completely agree! I'm still going to see it because I want to see the concert footage and how this movie works with it. But I'm shaky on the colorizing. Granted, it's better than when colorizing started, but now you'll have people who see the original concert or press conference footage somewhere and think that it's inferior because it's black & white, not realizing it's the original footage.

supermd likes this.
  4. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I don't mind colorization if done well. I don't mind b/w either. But i have seen so much Beatles b/w that i find the colorization interresting, the same way i find new mixes interesting.

b.smith, Mark Wilson and Sean Murdock like this.
  5. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

Agree; I recall some thread around here that someone mentioned it would be cool if A Hard Day's Night was colorized (well, colourised :) ) and I agree, it would be great. I think it's better in b&w overall, but seeing it in color would be cool.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  6. marcb

marcb Senior Member

And the list of US locations seems a little slim so far. There isn't a theater within 3 hrs drive of my small metro area of about 6 million people...

7. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

Was this the only time that The Beatles and Rolling Stones were on the same bill?

8. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

where is the list of U.S. theaters? I am also only seeing European locations on the web site.

Mr. E. Tramp and Brother Maynard like this.
  9. Mike Bass

Mike Bass Forum Resident

Man, this is like a dream! I admire your imagination and I wish this show was a reality! :)

WilliamWes likes this.
  10. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

I know apple bashing is an Olympic sport these days, but any editorial decisions or colourisation is down to Ron Howard and team. This is his project. Apple will have a degree of sign off but on this occasion the blame for these decisions rests elsewhere.

Simon A, Sean Murdock and Mark Wilson like this.
  11. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Wasn't Richie instrumental in the Fonz's short-lived singing career?

Smacks of "conflict of interests" to me...

12. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Oh thanks Mike very kind of you. I couldn't resist when I found out that the Beatles were considering the Roundhouse show. Also, the Esher demos made me think they would bring that strength forth in a publicly-aired acoustic live set which I think would have been the first-a special segment for acoustic-only sounds. On other idea I considered was after "Hey Jude", they leave and then reappear for an encore of the two R&R classics "Money" and "Long Tall Sally"; that could have been the first encore in rock show history. Again, I'm not quite sure about that-I don't think we have exact dates of when encores first began in the rock world-do we?

I had done another similar setlist-type thing if the Beatles had played Woodstock in 1969, fresh off of the Abbey Road sessions. That would have been pretty wild!

Mike Bass likes this.
  13. Both bands appeared on all three NME shows between 1964 and 1966. The Beatles also appeared in '63 (though not top billed yet) and the Stones in '68.

The '64 appearances in particular are great because both bands appear to be making an all-out effort to top each other with their performances...

14. Kim Olesen

Beatles didn't invent encores. Btw they did an encore on the evening show of the 1965 Paris concerts.

WilliamWes likes this.
  15. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

As far as I know, where The Beatles are concerned, nothing happens with their image, likeness, etc. until it gets signed off and approved by all parties representing The Beatles. Ron Howard can do what he wants, but it won't see the light of day until it gets the OK from The Beatles.

16. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I've got a pretty decent Blu-ray of this concert, but I can only imagine how awesome this will be with remastered sound, and especially in 4k!

17. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Thank you Kim, I had never thought about when the encore began in rock music and I didn't realize that show had an encore. Good catch. I wonder when the encore became a more regular thing in rock.

18. Kim Olesen

Probably when the acts began playing longer sets.

19. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

The closer this whole project gets to release, the less excited I get....

Frank likes this.
  20. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Sort of like orgasm, ehhh? ;)

21. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Well, I gave up hope a long time ago. Today's announcement of the Shea concert being added made me feel a little better.

DrBeatle and Mark Wilson like this.
  22. zen

zen Senior Member

Hum, I'm actually more excited.
    Maybe my staying away from this thread for a few weeks has something to do with it. ;)

23. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I haven't read this thread much the last few weeks. I'm still definitely interested in seeing it/listening to it, but I'm a bit skeptical there's going to be anything new we haven't already seen/heard before. I hope I'm wrong! :)

24. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Posted today:

25. Kim Olesen

No screenings at all withn a 500 km radius of here (Denmark) as far as i can tell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.